Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about switching from Betaseron to Copaxone

Hello,
    I have been on Betaseron for a year now ( from my DX) and my liver count as been 3 X too hight for several month!
    So I am expecting to be switched to Copaxone.
    My questions is :
    Do you have to stop Betaseron before you can take copaxone and for how long?

If someone know , please let me know.

Alain

I was switched from Betaseron to Copaxone for a MRSA infection that was drug resistant. I was off of the Beta for 2 or 3 wks before I started Copax, although I think that was pretty standard for anyone changing DMDs. Now Im on Tysabri infusions and I was off the Beta for 1 month prior to that, which is Biodgens rules.
    I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad; The dreams in which Im dying are the best I've ever had.

Comment

Yes, you should stop the Beta before you start the Copaxone.However, you can take Betaseron one day and Copaxone the next. It's not usually the case, but that's only because it takes time to process the new rx. In fact there's an ongoing study combining interferon beta 1a with Copaxone: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...+avonex&rank=3

Not the same interferon, just using it as an example. There have been a few studies,past and ongoing, that combine the DMDs with each other or a new drug.

Other than switching from any DMD (except Copaxone , though some drs will make you washout for that,too) to Tysabri, there isn't any real washout between DMDs. Due to the arrangements, insurance confirmations, delivery,etc. it may take a couple weeks between the time the dr says stop the Betaseron and starting the Copaxone. The neuro will tell you how long you should continue the Beta.

I can tell you I switched from Copaxone to Rebif (no washout), back to Copaxone (no washout, had a stash of Copaxone and took it the day after my last Rebif), Copaxone to Tysabri (2 week washout, my choice) and then Tysabri back to Copaxone (2 week washout, dr's advice).

Hope all that helps!

Comment

Thank you for your response.
        I just talk to the nurse who told me that Dr probably will keep me on Betaseron till I start Copaxone .
        Well, I was just hoping to get a holiday!

Thank again.

Alain

Comment

Working...
        X