Why is frequent MRI necessary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is frequent MRI necessary

I was dxd in 1995, after years of wondering what was happening to my body. I had 2 MRI's and a LP.

In the following years I had more MRI's, I guess like everybody here.

I have my next neuro appointment in a couple of weeks. I know he will want to schedule another MRI. I don't want to have another one. I just don't understand the need for it.

I know my MS has progressed in the last few years. So why should I have to have another MRI. I just don't get it. Can I insist on not having it done?

I was just wondering, if I'm the only one feeling this way.

Thanks for any input!
    dx 5/95 rrms

I feel the same way. My MRI's never seem to show anything new even if I have strong new symptoms. It takes me a few days to recover from that blasted machine and nothing changes with my treatment so I too do not see the point.

Comment

I don't think your doctor can make you have an MRI, as you have to consent before they can do things to you. Of course your doctor may decide not to treat you (prescribe medications) if he/she does not have an MRI to monitor your condition.

I just had am MRI done last month, my first in 2 & 1/2 years. Since the last MRI, I had moved to a new state, gotten new doctors, and I had quit taking Copaxone because it was too expensive. My new neurologist wanted to see if there had been any MS changes since the last study, because if there were changes, he thought I should take the DMD's. That made sense to me - the test results could make a difference in my treatment plan - so I had the MRI.

Other posters here have said that they have MRI's to see if their DMD is working. If they have lots of changes in MRI while taking one drug, their doctor might switch them to another one.

Some posters have said they think doctors order MRI's because they are greedy. I think most of the time that is not the case. Unless the doctor owns the MRI (which is against the law in most circumstances), he or she will not make any money by ordering an MRI.

Comment

Finding MRIs AND neuro. appointments a nuisance...

Originally posted by onlyairfare View Post
        I don't think your doctor can make you have an MRI, as you have to consent before they can do things to you. Of course your doctor may decide not to treat you (prescribe medications) if he/she does not have an MRI to monitor your condition.

I just had am MRI done last month, my first in 2 & 1/2 years. Since the last MRI, I had moved to a new state, gotten new doctors, and I had quit taking Copaxone because it was too expensive. My new neurologist wanted to see if there had been any MS changes since the last study, because if there were changes, he thought I should take the DMD's. That made sense to me - the test results could make a difference in my treatment plan - so I had the MRI.

Other posters here have said that they have MRI's to see if their DMD is working. If they have lots of changes in MRI while taking one drug, their doctor might switch them to another one.

Some posters have said they think doctors order MRI's because they are greedy. I think most of the time that is not the case. Unless the doctor owns the MRI (which is against the law in most circumstances), he or she will not make any money by ordering an MRI.
        so just give me my friggin' DMD and back off!

My first MRI told me everything I needed to know, "you have M.S. for which there is not cure: its is a chronic and progressive disease you will have for the rest of your life, amen".

Even with decent medical insurance, the ever-rising co-pays, and the never-rising SSDI checks mean that most tests and medications are still beyond my means. I will only get future MRIs if forced-as in my doctor will no longer prescribe my DMD (as this is the only M.S. treatment to date that seems to matter in my life). If I could get DMDs and never go to the doctor, I would kiss my neuro. good-bye too. What has he ever done of value for me except prescribe the DMDs, anyway? Every penny counts right now, and my family needs groceries and gas in the car more than I need an MRI at this point!
        Tawanda

Comment

Mine wants one too

It has been a year, and on Tysabri you have to get one more frequently. I hate MRI's as I was stuck in a malfunctioning one for three hours---they finally game me something to stop me from shaking.

Comment

I am by no means an expert nor do I know barely anything about DMD's but from what little that I did read, it seems to me that MRI's are necessary to monitor disease progression and to determine if the DMD's are working for the patient.

IMHO, it seems necessary, however, I do understand that if your current DMD's are working and you lean toward the notion that your disease is going to progress anyway, there is no cure for it, I can definitely understand not wanting to get the MRI's.

Comment

why is frequent mri necessary

after 28 yrs with this disease here's what i've learned to do, and it's very simple....
              ask WHY.
              be proactive (in a polite way) and don't just do everything ur dr tells u. it's ur body. and if ur dr has a problem with u asking why, then find another dr. i ask why all the time and if i disagree, i tell him....and he respects me for that. he has no problem with it.

Comment

Thanks, everybody for the responds.

I forgot to mention, that I'm not on any DMD's.

I was taking Beta for 12 years until about 21/2 years ago. My MS was progressing while I was still on it.

Right now I'm on Provigil and Neurontin. I have no plans of going back on DMD's. Sick of side effects and ever rising costs.

My neuro doesn't like it, but my body my wallet.
                dx 5/95 rrms

Comment

Working...
                X