Travel Sharps Container

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Sharps Container

Hi all, I was wondering what some of you use for a travel sharps container? I have a good size one for home that my neuro gave me and he said just bring it in when full and they will swap it out for me. I was just thinking about going to see family for a few days and thought that I did not want to haul that large sharps container with me. I tried to look online but they all seem pretty big. I was looking for something that might hold like up to 10 syringes or so. I am on Betaseron so I take an every other day shot. I just want to be safe and do the right thing. Any ideas?

CrazyCatLady
    MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

One of those new 32 oz. detergent bottles would work.
    Just rinse out the soap, then you can pop off the pouring funnel thing under the cap when you're ready to dump the needles out. You might want to pop the finger guard off the syringe once you've finished your shot, but they should fit either way.
    Youy could also call Betaplus for a sharps. They have a cool "mini gas can" type that doesn't take up a lot of space.

Comment

When I was on Copaxone I used a B-D Clip. (Google it, or look on Amazon).
      It clips off the needle, leaving only the syringe. I'd throw the syringe in the regular trash. The clip stores up to 1,500 needles
      I think it only cost me about $3 through Amazon
      Be well,

Comment

When I was on Rebif, they sent a travel pack that also came with a travel sharps container. Maybe if you call the drug company, they have something like that.
        Melody
        Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

Definitely, the BD Clip is the way to go. The empty syringe is just trash, and the Clip device says it will hold 1500 clipped needles, so it will last a long time. I use it whether traveling or not, so much easier than having to take a large container for disposal. I got mine at a local pharmacy; it was not expensive at all.

Comment

I take Rebif and like roo said, they send you a travel sharps container. I use the BD Needle Clip. It's great, doesn't take up much room and takes care of everything.

Comment

The BD needle clip is the way to go. You can travel with it very easily, it fits 1500 needles. I had to order it from my pharmacy (CVS). It came in very quickly and only costs about $5-7.

Comment

Originally posted by KarenLeah View Post
                Hi all, I was wondering what some of you use for a travel sharps container? I have a good size one for home that my neuro gave me and he said just bring it in when full and they will swap it out for me. I was just thinking about going to see family for a few days and thought that I did not want to haul that large sharps container with me. I tried to look online but they all seem pretty big. I was looking for something that might hold like up to 10 syringes or so. I am on Betaseron so I take an every other day shot. I just want to be safe and do the right thing. Any ideas?
                You might try something like this :http://www.americandiabeteswholesale...ort/Detail.bok

Comment

Having a weird posting issue, so sorry if this is a second post. You could try this kind of thing:http://www.americandiabeteswholesale...ort/Detail.bok

The BD Clip: http://www.americandiabeteswholesale.com/Categories.bok
                  is very convenient, however, in some areas the syringe without the needle can't go in the trash. It's still considered a biohazard. They are glass, have been exposed to bodily fluids and can break and expose others. I must use a sharps container where I am. I can use the clip, but the syringe must go in a sharps container and eventually the clip must go in. So I don't bother with the clip. Seems pointless if it all has to go in a sharps container anyway.

When traveling, it's a bit more difficult. You'd have to find out the laws where you'll be if you intend to dispose of them there. I usually use a travel size sharps container similar to the one I included here and just bring them home to dispose of.

Comment

Here's another vote for B-D Clip. It's all I ever use, traveling or not.
                    DX 10/2008
                    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I always use my BD clip.

Comment

Originally posted by roo613 View Post
                        When I was on Rebif, they sent a travel pack that also came with a travel sharps container. Maybe if you call the drug company, they have something like that.

Melody,

still not on anything? How are you doing?

Comment

travel sharps container

When traveling I use an empty coke bottle, it will hold at least 10-15 syringes and you just screw the cap back on and take it to a pharmacy or hospital to drop off.
                          RRMS Diagnosed December 2009,
                          on Copaxone December 2009-October 2011 -
                          Starting interferons hopefully soon.

Comment

Coffee Mate?

OK this is really odd but I was making coffee today and looked at the Coffee Mate container. I use the powder stuff (I know, dont say ick LOL! I am the only one in the house that uses creamer so the liquid goes bad) and the container is the perfect size LOL! It is a hard plastic with a large screw on top so I could just drop in the syringe.

I am still going to look for the B-D clipper thing. I just havent gotten out of the house to go shopping yet.

CrazyCatLady
                            MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

don't buy the travel sharps containers for betaseron

i bought some of these for my trip to europe this summer and the opening is tiny. betaseron syringes are too wide and don't even come close to fitting. so, i took a bd clip and a large travel toothbrush case to hold a couple of syringes until i could find some place to dispose of them. i was conveniently staying with a nurse in barcelona for part of the trip. she said they also dispose of their sharps in detergent bottles.

Comment

Working...
                              X