Numbness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numbness

How do you describe yours? Does it steal function, or is just sensory? Mine just feels like something falling asleep, but without the pins and needles part. But it gets better if I move it. Except in the heel of one foot. That's a numbness that never goes away. It's been there for weeks. One side of the foot had sensation come back last week, but not the heel yet.
    I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

I only have PARTIAL numbness in part of my left hand. Does not affect function.......
    Probably related to a C5-C6 spinal lesion.

Doc Gomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

This I think is a very good question. I would also be intersted to know how other people are affected. I actually have significant loss of sensation all over my body so I would say mine is more sensory. My arms go numb most nights in bed for some reason even when I am not laying on them. My feet are constantly numb and cold. I only notice the sensory probs if I go to scratch something or touching a certain area. I actually ran my hands over my whole body the other day to test and I am hard pushed to find a spot that isnt affected. That being said sensory issues do not affect my ever day life so its not a problem for me and you get used to it. Just kinda weird like I am wearing a protective covering. Even my face, mout, nose and lady bits are affected.

Jo

Comment

So it's not the kind of numb that is a loss of all sensation? Mine is not. It just feels numb. But all of the sensations are still there, except the heel. I think that part is numb, numb. Pressure is still there, but I don't know about temperature. Sharp and dull are not there on that part. The rest is just more like a paresthesia.

Another thing I noticed about paresthesias . . . the hot/cold (I call them icy/hot, but think it's what others are referring to as wet or cold, to me it feels like someone rubbed biofreeze all over my skin) - these are almost always followed by muscle spasms or twitching under the area of skin affected. There isn't an area where I've felt this icy/hot thing that hasn't had a spasm later.

There are areas with spasms that haven't had the icy/hot sensation though.

Comment

The first time my hands went numb I didn't lose any function in them at all. Second time however just my thumb and index finger in my right hand went numb and I can't type anymore so much as hunt and peck I've also found that I have trouble holding silverware and writing untensils, however I'm sure the feeling will come back it's just taking it's sweet time. Usually takes some months for me. My arms and hands have been going numb since I was 16, I think I've pretty much figured out the routine LOL

Nerves need to go on vacation too I 'spose

~Elly
          I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

Comment

It is hard to describe. But, I agree that it is like when your hand falls asleep. I do get the pins and needles feeling a lot to though. For a long time my hands were so bad that I couldn't touch anything with out it feeling like I was touching sandpaper (folding laundry was horrible) Its the same in my legs and feet. When my sx started back in April I couldn't stand socks on my feet, pants on my legs or the sheets on the bed touching me. Now it is more tolerable, still annoying but not as much as before.
            Shannon
            Diagnosed June 2010. Started Betaseron July 2010.

Comment

I've had super sensitive feet since I was a teenager. There are certain things that I react extremely to when they touch my feet, especially toenails, and I get that nails on a chalkboard reaction. Everybody thinks I'm weird because I wear socks to bed. But sheets on my feet give me those creepy crawlies so badly, I have to. Anything scratchy or gritty brings it on. Gah!

So the numbness can be followed by actual functional loss potentially? Sort of like the icy/hot sensations are followed by muscle spasms routine.

My hands have been going numb in my sleep for almost a decade now, but I've always associated it with my work, as it's hand/wrist/physically intensive. The more work I do, the worse it gets. It can go away for a while, then when I do a heavy week it comes back again. Now it's whether I'm working or not (I've had to cut back my schedule these last couple of months).

I did notice my typing is more uncoordinated than ever, having to go back and correct every three words when I was always lightening fast and accurate.

Comment

Numbness

I call it a "swollen" sensation without loss of sense of touch.

My left foot feels swollen, along with my right hand. The sense of touch is fine in both. My right thumb and first finger have been like this for a few years, but I assumed it was carpal tunnel.
                Since being diagnosed 3 months ago, the whole hand feels swollen. More annoying than anything.

Comment

Mine feels sort of like when novocaine is wearing off, kinda numb and weird feeling but can still function.

Comment

Working...
                  X