Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

diagnosed today

Hi,

I was diagnosed today with MS.. really scared, not sure what questions to ask. I'm 39 years old, believe I've had this 15 years early.. No one would do a MRI until I got into a car accident in March and just today got the films of my brain MRI read.. any advice would be great

Thanks,
    Naomie

Welcome to MSWorld, Naomie!

I've moved your thread to General Questions and Answers because it's the most active forum, and you should get more responses here.

Being newly diagnosed is definitely scary, but it does get better as time goes by and you get the information and support you need. We'll do our best to provide you with both!

Besides, now that you know you have MS you can begin to treat it, and that's a good thing.

Please post often, and don't be shy about asking any questions you have. We're here to help.

Comment

Naomie, I guess my advice or word of encouragement would be to know that you can live a rewarding life inspite of MS. This will all depend on your attitude.

Do post your questions to us and we'll try to help as much as possible.

I am sorry that you have to be here but am looking forward to conversing with you!
      "...the joy of the Lord is your (my) strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Comment

Welcome and HUGS Naomi~!!

Its not unusual to feel scared and uncertain but you came to one of the greatest places here to have support and gain information.

Liked Sequoia said, come here and come often. We also have a "chat" room to visit as well.

Dont forget to use "search" for past posts with a wealth of information.

Best to you.. let us know how you're doing.

Warmly, Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Hey, Naomi. I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this. I'm having problems, too, but currently am still in testing. I had my MRI on Monday, and had the results from the hospital radiologist within 24 hrs. If I am understanding your post correctly, it took several months to have your MRI report? I am shocked--what inefficiency! Unexcusable.

I really have nothing to offer you except to tell you that I am listening to you and that I may be going down this road along with you. Hug!

Comment

IMPORTANT: One thing that you really must do if you suspect that you may have multiple sclerosis, is to get your financial house in order immediately, at once and without delay. Ensure that you have adequate Health, Disability and Life Insurance prior to turning up for any examinations or tests. If any health professional tips you off that he/she suspects MS, request that no mention is made of this in any notes until you have sorted out the insurance issues. What MS treatments there are, are expensive and if you are forced out of the workplace you will need a source of income. Once a diagnosis is made it will be too late.

You may want to call your neuro and ask them if they can refrain from making diagnosis until you have had a chance to absorb all of this.

Comment

Hi Naomi,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

The part you wrote about thinking you've had MS for 15 years may strike a common chord with many folks here.

I was diagnosed 3 years ago at 46 and I know I had this in my 20's. When I go to my primary doc I now laugh when I see the size of my file. Over 20 years of weird come and go symptoms.

It is very scary when you first get diagnosed. All I can say is that it honestly does get better. You will learn a lot about your condition and about treatment options.

This is a great place to come to talk to people who really do understand. My husband once asked me why I felt like I had to come here to read posts every day; my only reply was that 'because they are people like me.'

Welcome and Hugs!!!
              Dx 06/07
              Copaxone

Comment

Welcome odell65 ..........

Sorry to hear the news on one hand, glad you found us on the other. I fell and tore a shoulder back in Jan 07, had a brain MRI about June 07. The ENT simply put in my file, CNS issue, investigate "if warranted".......

Last summer a new eye doc opened the MS can of worms, so it took me several YEARS from MRI to any consideration about it. I hear ya on the nobody would do a MRI. Back in the 80s the VA even sent me to the shriink dept cause I complained there was something ELSE wrong, to no avail of course.

Sad to say far too many MS cases take years even decades before a formal Dx is made. When I got my formal MS dx it was a relief, no shock and I read up on MS when the MS can of worms was opened for me last year.

KNOWLEDGE is power, knowing its MS now, you can learn from others etc ways to manage your MS, and mitigate any issues you have to deal with.

We have a weekly thread here for newly diagnosed, please join us at Rest Area 51......

Doc Gomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

Naomie I too am Sorry you have to be here but this has proven to be a GREAT Place for me and I'm sure you'll find that same.

I'm on here when I can and get right back when I have to be away.

MS isn't always pretty but the fact that you have been DX means You can be TREATED!

I too believe I've had MS for years. I'm told and have read it can take many many years and many many changes in doctors.
                  Dx MS Aug 2010 (after 2 years of searching)
                  Started Copaxone Aug. 2010

Comment

One thing I'd add to the list... Call the MS Society. Most branches have a program that will pair you with someone that's been diagnosed for awhile. It's a great help.

Comment

Working...
                    X