Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone and Fever

Hi everyone,
    I have been on Copaxone a little over a week. Last night about 4 hours after my shot, I woke up with terrible chills and a fever. I was shaking uncontrollably for about 30 minutes and had a fever of 102 for about 4 hours. Has anyone ever had this happen before? I called Shared Solutions, they said it is not a common side-effect. I have a call into my neuro, but I haven't heard back yet. I am a little scared to take the shot tonight.

Virus' would cause a fever and the chills are from the fever. When in doubt call your pharmacist and ask, they should have the most up to date info on drugs and if that fails then call your general dr. who should know about the drug as well since he/she should know you are on it.

Some might say it causes fever but anything that is brought to the manufacturer who makes the drug has to put that on the "side effects label". In all my years I have never seen a drug cause a fever but I have heard that if your immune system is weakened you can be more prone to getting virus', so maybe copaxone can cause the lowering of immune system and thus you caught a cold.

Just some thoughts, not a dr. so not really sure. I have Graves disease and am on this board to support my best friend. Since I have Graves(in remission right now) I have to make sure that my hands are washed and everyone who comes in my house washes their hands as well. It helps with spreading germs in my home. When I was meds for Graves I was very susceptible to getting virus' so I try to be careful.
    Good luck dear.
    Currently 3 years remission from Graves' Disease, mom has Crohn's, best friend just diagnosed w/MS.... I guess it could be worse! Don't just lay there...live life!

Comment

I had a a lesser version of that happen once to me.
      Seems like this is a different version of an IPRR (Initial Post Injection Reaction).
      I'd had a few of the "standard" type IPRRs (tightness in chest, difficulty breathing, flushed, hot feeling). I think these happened because I accidently hit a vein or something that travels quickly back to the heart.

I'd been taking Copaxone for about 8 years and must have accidently injected in a blood vessel or something.
      Chills, shakes and a fever-type feeling... I felt awful!

It happened in the morning during my regular shot time.
      So, I felt exhausted and fell asleep under a couple of blankets (during the summer).
      When I woke, I felt better.

I still take Copaxone because it has really helped (no flares for over 6 years), but like you, I was REALLY spooked to do the shot again.

The nest day, I asked my hubby to stay around a few minutes after my injection to keep an eye on me. It helped me feel better.

Thank goodness the reaction has not happened again (watch, tomorrow it will...). Even so, I think it is just dumb luck and doesn't mean your body doesn't agree with Copaxone.

To be honest, I haven't ever called Shared Solutions with reaction troubles. I never think to do so. A couple of other friends on another site has had that happen also (I think they did call). Maybe the person you spoke with had never head of that particular reaction. it is different, but very real, and thank goodness, very rare.

Best wishes!!

Comment

Working...
      X