I found the source of my muscle pain!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found the source of my muscle pain!!!

On and off for several years, I have dealt with worsening muscle pain. It got to the point here recently that I could barely move because I hurt so bad.

I've been taking simvastatin (Zocor) for a year or two (can't rememer which) to help lower my cholesterol. When the NP at my GP's office prescribed it, she told mentioned something about muscle pain, but since I was already having some pain from spasticity, I didn't think much about it. Until recently.

Since I've been taking the medication, I've had an increase in pain, and a couple of times, I stopped taking the medication all together because I was worried about it, but I never really made a true connection. (My dose starting out was 5 mg., my doctor then increased it to 10 mg, and later to 20 mg, though I never went up to the 20 mg because I just felt odd about taking that much, for some reason.)

I had been off of it for awhile, but a few months ago, decided to start taking it again, and soon after the pain in my muscles increased dramatically. It was awful!! I would get up in the morning and feel like I had been beaten all over with a baseball bat. So, about a week ago, I decided again to stop taking simvastatin, and the muscle pain is almost gone. It finally clicked with me that my pain is caused by the medication. (I've researched, and it is one of the main side effects and a potentially dangerous one, as it can cause kidney damage from the enzymes released from the dying muscle tissue.)

I guess I will just need to watch what I eat, lay off the Big Macs, and not take simvastatin. And hopefully my muscle pain won't be coming back, at least not as bad as it was. (I do still have pain from spasticity.)
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Hey Shashi,

When I first read the title to your post the first thing that came to my mine was cholesterol med. I can't take it either because it makes my legs hurt.

Dr. has me taking over the counter choles-off and flush free nician it is helping some.

Glad you figured it out and are feeling better.
    God Bless Us All

Comment

Glad you made the connection with your pain and Zocor. I had a friend who switched off Zocor and takes the "other" similar medication and does fine with that one. Sorry can't think tonight.......

It's possible you will not have that side effect on another medication. These cholesterol lowering meds have had some studies as being beneficial for people with MS. Interesting stuff......

Another friend started taking one of these meds recently and is complaining of muscle pain. Something for us all to be aware of.

Comment

I am glad that you found that out. I would not have thought about that.

That is great news.

Comment

Hey, Lisa....that is a known side effect of the cholesterol-lowering meds.

You're into herbals and holistic stuff, right? Check out Red Yeast Rice. My b-i-l takes it for his cholesterol. Seems to help!
          “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
          Diagnosed 1979

Comment

A big Yee-Hah to you Shashi for finding out the source of your pain!

I guess we just never know if the meds will help us or hinder us huh?

Hoping for pain free days ahead for you!!

Comment

Cholesterol lowering meds

I've read that taking these drugs will actually increase your chance of having heart attacks as it steals the CoQ10 from your heart muscle, thereby weakening it.

I will live with the cholesterol as I've also read that the whole high cholesterol will give you heart issues is bogus and only there to keep the drug companies making you pay them for something that will kill you faster. The real culprit is inflammation.

For the men, it is a double whammy as these drugs cause ED then they are roped into taking something for that too... All of which are not good for the heart. BAD STUFF!!!

Comment

Lots of drugs have odd side effects. My mom stopped her blood-pressure med because it was giving her bad cog-fog. The doctor said it is not an indicated side effect, but as soon as she stopped taking it --- her cog-fog went away.

Comment

My doc put me on 100 mg of CoQ10 when I started the statin and to this day I don't believe I have had any muscle pain related to the medication. I used to work for an MD that practiced "alternative" medicine when the big scare occurred in the late 90's and he told me several times that if people would have been taking CoQ10 they may not have had the issues they had... It's worth a try!
                  Falling down is easy... getting up not so much

Comment

I deal with a lot of muscle aches and pains but when on Simvastatin (generic Zocor) it increased so my dr said I could experiment by going off it. The discomfort improved. Not gone altogether but way better. I've watching how I eat AND walking a few days a week and so far so good. My cholesterol is good. One less pill to take.
                    Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Working...
                    X