Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Itchy throat followed by difficulty swallowing mucus..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Itchy throat followed by difficulty swallowing mucus..

issues with saliva not food just my own saliva...started with very itch throat for two days followed by difficulty swallowing saliva, lasted about a week and it would not happen with food or drink... seemed to have difficulty at back of throat.. Anyone here of this as symptom

not diagnosed yet.... have thought MS symptoms for about a yr. but never brought it up to doctor.....

did go in jan for fatigue and muscle achyness..... went to eye doc. for problems with focusing... did not tell him either my thoughts of ms... no optic nuritis... did have issue the day before appt. with double vision at traffic lights...cars and people ok, but looking up at traffic lights was double vision... i am an RN, and looked for signs of stroke and had none so waited for eye appt... mentioned it to him said could be fatigue...

did have one white spot on mri and cat scan 4 yrs ago(hx of migrain), docs and neuro said insignificant, but did not have these issues and never mentioned them to neuro...

have been going back and forth with my mind and ms... thinking i am nuts and just feeling tired to sounds like ms...

just had blood work for muscle enzyme and vitamin levels... waiting for results.... waiting to speak with doc.. and then may call neuro for appt... I hate docs. and trying to fit in doc appt with busy schedual is hard... just kind of putting my thoughts down, dont know why..... all my symptoms are kind of vague.... sometimes think its all in my head, maybe looking for validation as to what i feel is real..... thanks for listening...

My first weird symptom was not being able to swallow. It was like the throat just didn;t want to work all of a sudden and it felt like if you can't swallow you can't breath. My dr sent me to a ear nose and throat guy and he sent me to a neuro asap. He thought MS and he was right. Been over 10 years now and still chuggin along, just alot slower.
    Webbles

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down (much)

Comment

Gosh so sorry for what you are going through NOT having answers is so difficult I know.

I too had swallowing problems and would wave to my hubby to get water as I was choking. Then just learned to have water whenever I was trying to eat. Later on, this happened in the night. I would wake up and NOT be able to swallow at ALL.

Finally saw a Gastro doc who did that exam where they look down your throat, looking too for acid reflux. Left the BRAVO device in, a camera that measures acid..but none. But he stretched my esophagus and I have been well since. That was just over a year ago.

Just recently its started again. Drinking something HOT or very COLD will get me swallowing again. But now I also have difficulty when there is a little phlegm which makes my swallowing tough. No sinus issues so I think its dairy or chocolate causing this extra phlegm to just sit there.

Now I also get "halos" or shadowing around lights..letters and had my eyes checked with new RX glasses only to have it return in spite of new glasses. Had the VER test and it was normal. Several neuros think its fatigue of muscles of eyes which makes focusing difficult. This blurry vision has progressed too. DRY EYES can cause this and yes I have Sjogren's but all the eye drops in the world dont correct it. Being on a computer alot makes it worse along with gen fatigue, like closer to end of night.

Hope you get answers..know that we are here for you ok?

Don't give up..email me if you want..my email is on my profile.

Warmly, Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

swallowing thing did push me to go to doc.. scared me

Thank you for the replies....The swallowing thing kind of scared me, and is what pushed me to go my regular doc.... The drinking liquids also seemed to help..My muscles ache pretty constant, no real pain most of the time, just achy in arms and thighs... 2 episodes of intense pain in thighs lasting 30 min. or so..(kind of like burning sensation) fatigue on and off, but work full time and family.....Is being cold a symptom? its not one i see on any boards. My family says i am abnormally cold!!! thanks for info and advice...

Comment

swallowing

I was very surprised to see this issue on here, in the last month, I have had and am having problems swallowing. when I eat and drink, I don't really have a problem, its just swallowing. I did not associate this with MS, could be tho. Thanks for putting this on the forum.

Comment

I have worked with swallowing issues for many years in a rehab setting. It is not uncommon to have more difficulty with your saliva than other foods. Your saliva is the same taste and temperature as your mouth...and it has no texture. Swallowing requires sensory input and saliva does not provide much of that, especially if your sensory system is somehow diminished. Eat something hot, cold, sour or crunchy and your mouth can trigger a swallow because the sensory information is strong enough to register in a compromised system.

If it becomes a problem, like your appetite decreases or you start to cough/choke, you should see somebody about it. Some times there are very simple strategies that you can use to help.

Hope that helps! It must be very frustrating and I am sorry you have these symptoms.

Comment

Great information...thanks

I never really heard it described like this, it really is a great explanation... It makes so much sense put this way.... thank you!!! it seems to be passing now, but really made me nervous...

Comment

I am so glad it is resolving! Hope you find out what caused it. I wonder if an allergic reaction could cause the itching and then some sensory reaction. Did you feel like your throat was swollen?

By the way...I am definitely cold sensitive and have no trouble with heat. My hands and feet get painfully cold at times!

Comment

Thank you splendid.... No their was no swelling. I did go to my gp at the time issue was happening and did not find any physical evidence... I have never had allergies before, so dont think it was related to allergies.( i do know that allergies can happen at any time).. the itch was terrible but past and swallowing issue started... it is better now but last night i had soreness on my top right eye(upper inner area above tear duct)... and this morning the whole area around my right eye felt like i had been punched... I have had this before but never related it to anything, now i am wondering if it could be a symptoms of ms..( i have not gone to my neuro yet or made appt..., not sure why, probably fear of some kind)... I do have a solitary focus of abnormal white matter in the left periventricular white matter...... this was in 07, had cat scan in o6 and they had first found it, didn/t have it in previous scans through yrs.......... havent had one since and never spoke to neuro about other ms related symptoms... just gp and he has really only done blood work up so far ruling things out...

Comment

Working...
                  X