Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this sound like MS?

Hi guys, greetings from the UK.

I am currently experiencing some very odd symptoms which I think may be related to MS. I am 21 years old and a white female.

First of all, about 3 weeks ago, I developed a sore patch of skin on my left shin. It almost felt too sore to touch and was burning at times.
    The next day I woke up and the shin feeling had gone, however the whole feeling had spread to my back and I felt what I could only describe as "flu-skin". Very, very sensitive skin. I also felt quite ill whilst this feeling was going on. A couple of days later a symptom of itching developed and has carried on until now. I have raised bumps under my skin along with a constant itching/burning of my skin. It also feels quite internal if you understand me.

Anyway, the last few weeks have been hell and I am so depressed because of the itching. I have recently developed a strange symptom of buzzing/vibrating in my fingers and toes. Also sometimes in my arms and legs. I could also describe it as pins and needles.
    The burning/itching becomes worst when I am in heat or I have clothes on etc/under my duvet at night.

I have no problems with my sight/balance/gait. However I have always been clumsy so I cant tell the difference.

I had blood tests done about a month ago to check if there was anything wrong as I had a dizzy spell whilst out in London with my friend.
    These all came back clear.

My eyes were also recently tested and everything was fine there too.

What do you guys think? I keep going back to my GP but they dont seem to take me seriously. I dont know whether my case is bad enough to be sent for an MRI scan. Please help me

Hello Girl Afraid

Welcome to MS World!

Anyway, the last few weeks have been hell and I am so depressed because of the itching. I have recently developed a strange symptom of buzzing/vibrating in my fingers and toes. Also sometimes in my arms and legs. I could also describe it as pins and needles.
    The burning/itching becomes worst when I am in heat or I have clothes on etc/under my duvet at night.
    Sorry you're having these very annoying sensory symptoms. I'm sure it's maddening.

I had blood tests done about a month ago to check if there was anything wrong as I had a dizzy spell whilst out in London with my friend.
    These all came back clear.

My eyes were also recently tested and everything was fine there too.
    It would be wise to make an appointment to discuss your new, recent sensory symptoms.

What do you guys think? I keep going back to my GP but they dont seem to take me seriously. I dont know whether my case is bad enough to be sent for an MRI scan.
    I'm not clear on whether you have been to the doctor for the sensory symptoms? Also, you said you've had blood tests and eye exam. Have you had any neurological tests?

Maybe your doctor will refer you to a neurologist if he suspects a neurological issue.

Also, if your doctor isn't taking you and your symptoms seriously, would you consider asking for a second opinion or going to a different doctor?

Sounds like something is going on, but a doctor or neurologist will have to do further testing.

Hopefully your doctor will order further tests and get to the bottom of what's going on.

Feel free to ask any more questions and we'll try to help. Our members are supportive, and there is much helpful insight and information too.

Best of luck to you!

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Was the sore patch on your shin red? Did they test you for Lymes Disease? Just a thought. Good luck and sorry you are feeling crappy.

Comment

In reply to both of you.

I have had the symptoms of burning and itching for a while now and did go to the GP with the symptoms and they thought it was a skin issue i.e. an allergy. Nobody mentioned neurological problems.

I hadn't experienced the tingling and vibrating in my fingers then. Obviously now I have and my symptoms seem to be getting worse.

All of my family think it is anxiety related as I do suffer from health anxiety and I cant convinc them otherwise.
        I feel very lost and alone and as though nobody really cares.

I will ask to be referred to a neuro on wednesday and hopefully she will see it as appropriate. What should I expect from the first appointment? I have never even seen one before now. Will they issue an MRI scan for me? Or do tests first?
        I don't want the dread "spinal tap" as my brother had to have it when he was ill (not MS related) and said it was very painful.

Plus in answer to ma_vie_en_rose's question, no there was no visible marking on the skin, just pain and itching.

Comment

Thank you for replying.

In answer to both of your questions:

KoKo - I went to my GP regarding my itching/burning sensation. I was told it as an allergy or another skin condition and given anti-histamines and cream which did not work!
          I haven't mentioned the tingling in the hands yet as I was not experiencing it then.
          I am going to try and be referred to a neuro on wednesday, hopefully she will see it as relevant.
          What should I expect? I have never been to a neuologist before.
          Will they send me for an MRI scan? or the dreaded lumbar punctar (sp?)

In reply to ma_vie_en_rose - No redness, no mark at all, just an itch and burning senstation.

I would just like to ask you all out right whether these do sound like MS symptoms or not?
          I am so scared right now and have nobody to turn to as all my family and boyfriend dont believe me or think I'm being a hypocondriac as I suffer from health anxiety, but what I am feeling is real!
          Can these feelings come from health anxiety?
          It seems to be getting worse each day, help!

Comment

Hello Girl Afraid

I am going to try and be referred to a neuro on wednesday, hopefully she will see it as relevant.
            What should I expect? I have never been to a neuologist before.
            A neurologist will want to know your medical history and your symptoms.

He'll want to assess your motor and sensory responses. Sensory has to do with temperature, touch, and pain.

Testing your cranial nerves has to do with your eye movements, pupils, hearing, smell, facial movements, tongue, chewing, swallowing, etc.

He'll have you touch your nose with your finger, and do a heel-toe walk. You might be asked to stand with your eyes closed and feet together. Also to stand with one leg. Your reflexes will be tested too for muscle tone/spasticity.

He'll test your muscle strength, comparing your left with the right.

If the neuro suspects something isn't quite right, either from what he observes or what you tell him, he'll want more tests done.

Will they send me for an MRI scan? or the dreaded lumbar punctar (sp?)
            I doubt if you would be sent for an LP right away. There are other non-invasive tests that are usually done first such as Evoked Potential, Visual Evoked Potential (VEP), Electromyogram (EMG), etc.

Hope this helps!

Take care,
            KoKo
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Girl Afraid

Sorry, forgot to reply to your other questions:

I would just like to ask you all out right whether these do sound like MS symptoms or not?
              Since MS lesions/demyelination affects the central nervous system - there are many, many possible symptoms. Your symptoms could be caused by MS, but there are other conditions that could present with similar symptoms.

Can these feelings come from health anxiety?
              I'm not really familiar with health anxiety so I can't answer that. But I will say that many persons with MS were convinced that they were imagining things, or even felt like they were crazy, because of others not taking them seriously or believing their symptoms.

Hope you get some answers soon. We'll be here for you.

Take care,
              KoKo

Comment

Thank you for replaying KoKo.

I am going to ask about a neurological test tomorrow at the dermatologist/GP surgery.

I absolutley hate this and not knowing.

I have no problems with walking or my balance so maybe its not MS and I can wear high heels etc without problems. But is this how everybody starts?

Comment

Hi Girl Afraid

I have no problems with walking or my balance so maybe its not MS and I can wear high heels etc without problems. But is this how everybody starts?
                  No, not all persons being tested for MS have motor symptoms as their first neurological symptoms.

Everyone is different, but it seems like a good number of persons with MS initially go to the doctor for optic neuritis or sensory symptoms (numbness,tingling etc.). But again, MS is definitely not a one-size fits-all disease.

Does this help with your question?

Take care,
                  KoKo

Comment

Thank you, yes that did answer my question.

I asked at the GP's today and she said she doesnt think it is MS or anything neurological but she wants to send me for blood work

So I'm still as confused as before.

My hands are still tinging and I keep feeling pinpricks of cold on my hands and feet.

Comment

Working...
                    X