Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neurologist working on isolating environmental triggers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neurologist working on isolating environmental triggers?

Hi, I am new here. It is actually my boyfriend that has MS. He was diagnosed last month and is about to start Rebif. But in addition to taking one of the immunomodulators I would really like to be working with a doctor that is trying to find the elements that are triggering the immune system. We are trying the Best-bet diet (nearly eliminated dairy, glutin, and legumes). His current doc thinks it is all snake venom and waste of money (when the drugs cost so much and seem so venomous makes me angry) but she obviously is ignorant (advised us not to use the internet so we wouldn't know more than her). So does anyone on here know of either a Neruologist of Allergist/Immunologist working to determine what is triggering the hyper-activity of their immune system in the first place? Are there any next-generation Swank nerologists that this forum can refer? It seems that this is the best way to treat the cause of the disease instead of managing symptoms. We are in Baltimore so East Coast preferred.

Welcome! I feel for you because it is so frustrating. We all would like to know specific answers, and is anyone doing anything to find those answers?

Many of us take an approach to our health that includes traditional treatments along with more alternative treatments. The combination of both is worth considering.

I think it is important to have a neuro you can relate to, perhaps someone more open to various treatment ideas.
    The nutrition forum is definitely something for you to check out here.

Sorry if I haven't really answered your question, I do not know of docs in your area that might fit the bill. I hope you get some answers here.

Comment

Your doctor may have advised you to avoid the internet for a couple of reasons.

First off, there are a lot of sites selling products that claim to cure cancer, AIDS, blah blah blah. People desperate to "get better" will sometimes buy into these schemes, whether it's vitamins, obscure animal parts, magnets, you name it.

Secondly, some people can scare themselves by researching too much, especially the newly diagnosed. For example, when I was first diagnosed and went looking around, I was convinced I'd be in a wheelchair in 5 years. So far, I don't even have any gait issues. (Knock on wood.)

Third...frankly, there's a lot of misinformation out there on the internet. Not on a site like this, but sometimes it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I agree it's important to have a neurologist that you feel comfortable with, but personally, I've found that it's better to give people the benefit of the doubt rather than assuming the worst.

There are people who have done well with dietary changes, and the nutrition forum is a good place to check out. There are also people who have made dietary changes with no real change in their symptoms. If nothing else, eating a healthy diet and being healthier overall is a good idea. There is no one answer or "best" all-around way to treat MS, at least not yet. Every person is different and everyone's disease course is different.

Comment

Hi!, I've been on Rebif for 10yrs. now. I've had the same neuro also for 10yrs. He is wonderful,an advocate for learning all you can. He encourages me to read,web surf,attend meetings. I can call him at anytime & ask questions.
        I started w/RRMS & have slid to SPMS.I do use a walker around the house,but each person is different. My MS hit my right side,leg,foot,arm & hand,all weak .
        This MonSter is so different for each person,but find a good Neuro,& stick w/ them.
        Keep us posted God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

Working...
        X