Relapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relapse

Is a second bout of optic neuritis considered a relapse?

I considered my bouts with ON as relapses. I've only had two, one before diagnosis, and then in the other eye about 18 months later.

Knock on wood, haven't had ON again in a long time. Hope you can get some care to be sure that is what is going on with you.

Comment

Yes but why are you asking? How long ago was the first relapse and how was it treated? How is this episode being treated? If you are waiting for the 2nd relapse for diagnosis-I think it might have to be in a different area of the CNS? As the definition of MS requires both time & space be met. Time, more than 1 relapse has occurred and Space in more than 1 area of the CNS.
      But I am uncertain how they treat multiple occurances of ON for MS diagnosis? It could be something other than MS so it certainly needs to be treated.
      xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Hi lawfan:
        Your question has to be answered in context. IF you have been diagnosed with MS and IF both episodes were diagnosed (and not just guessed at or supposed) as ON, then YES, the second, discrete episode is considered a relapse.

Comment

The first bout of ON was diagnosed as nearsightedness in one eye (about 2 years ago) and resolved on its own before I was diagnosed as having CIS (June 2009). I have 20/20.

The second bout occurred and of course I recognized it immediately as what happened before and went to get treated with steroid blast within 3 days and the resolve occurred a lot quicker (about 3 days.)

I've been on Rebif for about 14 months now.

So, I was asking if that's considered a relapse.

Comment

It sounds like it is a 2nd episode as historical evidence of past relapses can be used. My doc whren I was diagnosed wanted to know of only past historical episodes that had been treated by a doc, whether they were diagnosed or not.

That was just my doc's take on it. Did you see a doc or someone in the medical profession that documented that temporary near sightness?

To complete the definition for MS, to go from CIS& probable MS t,o definite MS Time and space have to be meet. The 2 relapses over time fulfill the time requirement, but I am unsure that space as been proven, when it is ON twice?
            xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Originally posted by 0485c10 View Post
              It sounds like it is a 2nd episode as historical evidence of past relapses can be used. My doc whren I was diagnosed wanted to know of only past historical episodes that had been treated by a doc, whether they were diagnosed or not.

That was just my doc's take on it. Did you see a doc or someone in the medical profession that documented that temporary near sightness?

To complete the definition for MS, to go from CIS& probable MS t,o definite MS Time and space have to be meet. The 2 relapses over time fulfill the time requirement, but I am unsure that space as been proven, when it is ON twice?
              Yes, it is considered a relapse. Since I've posted I've had my f/u MRI. The ON this time resolved a lot more quickly than the first ON event (diagnosed as nearsightedness by an ophthamologist as my pcp was doing differentials.)

It wasn't my only symptom at the time. Without going into details, I was diagnosed as CIS last year. This relapse (though thru MRI and other symptoms for all intents and purposes I was already diagnosed with MS) qualifies me as an MS patient.

I was trying to get an answer/opinions before I went in to see my doctor is all. I've fulfilled the requirements.

Comment

Working...
              X