Desktop? Laptop? Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop? Laptop? Advice?

I think my computer is about ready to go to that great hardware pile in the sky. It's a desktop, and that's a pretty apt description--my desk is about the size of a boat, and the computer, monitor and all the attachments pretty much take up the whole top of the desk.

Has anyone made the switch to a laptop instead? One of my concerns is the finger-friendly aspect--heck, I have a hard enough time typing on a regular keyboard. I used a laptop once--an old one, loaned to me while I was traveling so I could connect to the internet--ick. But it wasn't much of a computer, so it might not be a good comparison.

For those who have used both, or who have made the switch to laptops, any advice or cautions? What would a novice (that would be me!) need to look for if they switch over to a laptop?

Thanks!
    Peg

I love my laptop! I especially enjoy the ability to sit in a more comfortable spot like the sofa or bed while I am using it.

I don't have any issues with the keyboard at all. It's the darned touch-pad mouse that sometimes drives me nuts! My fingers are numb and I can't always feel the touch pad. I could attach a mouse, but I'm not often in a place with a hard surface when I'm using my laptop.

Other than that I love it!

Oh, it's an HP Pavilion Notebook with Windows Vista.

Happy shopping

Comment

We made the switch from desk top to laptop just recently. We wanted to be able to take the computer with us when we travel.

The laptop has a back-lit keyboard which makes it easier for me to see and use. I do not like the touch-pad, we have attached a mouse.

If you find the keyboard difficult you can attach a keyboard that would be the same as you have for your desktop.

krohe, you don't necessarily need a hard surface for the attached mouse. I sit on a leather chair and use the mouse on the arm of the chair.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I would like to clarify on the subject of a mouse:

I use a newer optical mouse. A "ball" mouse might not work on anything but a hard surface.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I have both

I bought a lap top for those times that I couldn't go down the stairs to my office.

Like Krobe said, the mouse can be very annoying.

I found the keyboard challenging to get used to. I also didn't much like the weight, (mine is a 17", forget the brand) or heat (when the fan comes on) of the laptop sitting on my lap.

I purchased one of those fold away tables (as seen on TV, got mine from a yard sale) to put the laptop on, and that way I can use the plug in mouse, although you may want to buy one of the cordless ones, because the little tiny one that comes with most laptops brings another challenge.

I plan on charging mine up for the winter again, that way I don't have to use the heat in my office/glass studio. See if I can get used to the keyboard again LOL

Do you have a friend with a laptop that you could try out to see what you think? Do a bunch of research, and compare what each supplier can offer. Oh, I ordered mine on the internet and got free shipping.

Comment

you can buy laptops with a regular sized keyboard (just not a Number pad you just have the numbers above the letters)
            I also wanted a bigger screen so I got one that had both.
            Also my mouse is a trackball -- which means the mouse stays put and you move the ball around to direct the curser.
            they have one that is controlled by your thumb (side mounted) and one in the middle that I use a couple of my middle fingers to control and I like this one the best

I use both but I really like my laptop as you can get in comfortable chair and be on the internet. (I also have a wireless system so one does not have to be limited to where your cord reaches.)

Comment

I love my laptop! You can sit anywhere. I can't stand when my husband gets on it and then I have to go sit at the desktop, haha. It is challenging sometimes, having to use the touchpad, or when I accidently touch the touchpad, but you get used to it.
              Stay away from those tiny laptops.. I can't think of what they're called. I ordered one for myself, thought it was cute. Yup, cute, but soooo small and just ridiculous. I gave it to my teenage daughter. She loves it.
              There are different sized laptops out there..

Comment

Just recently got a lap top.. I ike it for the same reasons others do, I can sit on couch and use it. Although I like to sit on the floor and lean against couch so i USUALLY USE IT on the coffee table. I do not like the keyboard too well as it is flat and I am used to a layboard with an angle....I bought a wireless mouse runs on one aa battery and with that you do not have to necesarily have a hard surface. I cannot use the mouse pad on keyboard. The mouse is only 20 or so. I have an inexpensive Asus, with a large monitor. I love the color and contrast and the fact that I do not have to be in the den in a chair. I like the nouse and the fact that I can put my memory card in from camera and post pics, etc. Also I like the built in speaker. I did have sound on my old one........Best Buy has some good deals. Good luck and let us know
                JudySz

Comment

NOTEBOOK!

Desktops are history, ole boat anchors, for the most part. Today's notebooks have few limitations. I use a 7port usb hub and can connect almost anything I will ever need.

SCREEN... my main notebook has a 15.6? wide screen and is 3D to boot. I am sitting here typing on a FULL SIZE wireless keyboard w/ wireless optical mouse (logictech KB/M set) and 22" external LCD 3D display. I run dual display mode, never had that on my ole desktops!

I use an OLD antique notebook for the web using SAME external stuff (periferals).

I do have a desktop but is seldom used and actually not as versitle as my notebook. You can't jsut take a optical or hard drive etc and move it as easily from one box to another. Plug and play today actually WORKS!

USB is the KEY today, printer and almost anything you can imagine can be pluged in and used easily.

My MAIN newer acer widescreen 3D notbook has a larger than typical notebook keyboard (but I like a REAL BIG KB and REAL mouse, so I still use an wireles external keyboard/mouse combo. BTW my Acer also has a real numeric keypad the old one did not have. Most notebooks also have built-in WiFi to boot!

When I venture away from home, wifi is often available, FREE!

Me, I would have to find a very unusual need for something not available with USB connection, have yet to find it so far, to justify a desktop these days. I have digital audio interface 10 channels that does not work on a notebood, some vido production hardware might need a desktop, but unless you are doing high power comercial stuff I expect even that could be done on a notebook.

I can even record multi-track audio on a notebook and even burn multichannel 5.1 DVD or multichannel DTS using a notebook. I do ALL of my 3D phototography using my notebook.

Smaller NETbooks are nice, but smaller keyboard and no optical (DVD/CD) drive.

Gomer

Comment

I have a laptop. I keep it in a docking station most of the time. Then it is just like a desktop with separate keyboard and mouse. You can also have a larger screen with it in a docking station.

Comment

I love my laptop computer. I have one that has the keypad on the side, and I have no problems at all typing on it (other than my hand jerking and making me type the wrong keys!)

I have a trigger mouse that I use, so I don't need any surface at all for it. (It is a small, hand-held mouse that has a roller ball on tip you use your thumb on and two buttons that you click with your index finger which you hold like a gun trigger.)

I have a plastic craft tray that I bought at a local craft store to sit it on while I'm working in my recliner. The tray has compartments on each side where I keep my mouse, CD's, flash drive, etc.

Laptops are definitely the way to go!
                      Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I love my laptop. And it was super cheap! I got an Acer for under or around $400? I've had it for about 8 months now and *touch wood* no problems!

Comment

Working...
                        X