• Show
Clear All

Gilenya approved

Finally!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...-update1-.html

This is great news!
    Falling down is easy... getting up not so much

Comment

Just a few hours quicker than I ... WOOOOOOO HOOOOOO! I have been on the clinical trial for 2 years and I just want to know if I am placebo or on the med! This is great news in our progress to managing this MonSter!

Comment

Since it is an immune suppressant I would look long and very hard at taking it. I will continue the shots, the Avonex is working great, very low risk.
        Bill
        Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Link

I am sooo excited!!!! Here is the link from the Novaritis site. http://www.novartis.com/newsroom/med.../1445917.shtml

CrazyCatLady
          MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

GILENYA

As reported by CNN "Gilenya is not an immunosuppressant" "can cut relapse by 62%" I am seeing my doctor tomorrow and will ask his opinion.

Comment

Biogen had a little something to say :
              http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...lenya%E2%84%A2

As far as Gilenya being an immunosuppressant or modulater, I'm seeing conflicting info. The majority of what I read says suppressant. Even Novartis' info says that the drug lowers the number of lymphocytes in the blood and puts the patient at a greater risk for serious infections. If you read further, it gives basically the same protocol in regards to the chicken pox virus/vaccine as is recommended for "immunosuppressive therapies".

I know I was asked about chicken pox before starting Ty and not Rebif of Copaxone. That alone raises a flag for me. Not that I wouldn't try Gilenya, I'll just as Wkikta says, think long and hard about it. The list of side effects seems pretty serious. I know becuse it's listed, it doen't mean I'd get any of them. Just that it's something to think about.

It's great we have another option now and one that doesn't require injections.

Comment

Love Tysabri but not Biogen

[QUOTE=MrsBones;1252193]Biogen had a little something to say :
                http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...lenya%E2%84%A2

That press release is so self-serving. My DH has had innumerable problems with Biogen and the Touch program, and they are shameless with their pricing. My DH has great results with Tysabri, but we have no respect for Biogen.
                Chomsky Chick
                This floating world is but a phantasm.
                It is a momentary smoke.— Zen monk

Comment

Gilenya does a suppression of the "T" cells in the lymph nodes. It doesn't completely suppress the immune system but because it's altering it you are more susceptible to infections. The 2 deaths during clinical were people that had the herpes virus and the autoimmune system could not stop it from spreading throughout the body/brain.

I received blood tests checking for my herpes count and if I had the appropriate immunity to chicken pox etc. I have to advise my Dr office if I come in contact with anyone that has chicken pox or even cold sores that I could have come into contact with. These are things I know from my clinical, personally I am just too broke to be on the copaxone. Just like any DMD I think if it's working why switch??! I am still uncertain if I am placebo or the actual med. I was asked to complete the phase III core study which ends in January prior switching to the extension phase. I am going to see through my commitment but mostly because my contract indicates that they pay for 2 years of meds if the FDA approved.

We are getting more options and it's exciting. I don't know the medical positives or negatives around the Gilenya but I do know that those in clinical that have been on the actual drug have had great success thus far. All medications have side effects and possible things that can lead to death... have you ever read the warnings on an advil bottle?

Comment

Agree Day11, the warnings for Gilenya look very similar to those for the CRAB meds, or for aspirin or penicillin. Any drug strong enough to work to treat a disease is going to be strong enough to cause side effects.

I went to the Novartis website and read through the "Prescribing Information." It is not light reading (!) but it tells it like it is. Looks to me like the two patients who died of disseminated herpes were on IVSM at the same time, also an immune suppressant, and there are warnings that two immune suppressants (or moderators) don't mix well. Most of the side effects listed are rare, not much different from placebo, resolve when the medication is discontinued, or they occur in people who had warning signs their could be a problem (they already had heart problems/EKG changes, or were known to have liver problems).

I have a neuro appointment on October 4, and will want to hear what he thinks now that Gilenya has been approved. He was involved with the clinical trials, and has already told me he thinks it would be a good option for me.

As always, each of us is different and we have to make individual decisions. I'm just glad there is now an oral option

Comment

Gilenya

I personally don't like the sounds of some of the side effects that they say can be involved with the drug. I hope they come out with a much safer drug very soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Day11 View Post

I was asked to complete the phase III core study which ends in January prior switching to the extension phase. I am going to see through my commitment but mostly because my contract indicates that they pay for 2 years of meds if the FDA approved.

:
                        I have been in the phase III trial since March 2009, and my contract says nothing about "paying for medication if FDA approved".... I wish mine did. I have had great results, but since I can't say for sure that I'm on the active meds (besides my high bp & elevated liver enzymes would indicate I am), am am actually considering dropping out of the trial as soon as my Neuro can write me a RX. That may sound bad, but I want to be 100% sure that I am taking the real medication. Best of luck with the remainder of the trial, and congrats if Novartis will pay for your meds for a few years.... I think it's the least they can do after you participate in a CT, and jump through all their hoops!

Comment

Working...
                        X