MS and Lupus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and Lupus?

Hello everyone. I am new here to this site. I was diagnosed with MS by two neurologists back in January 2008, that diagnosis was changed to lupus after I saw a rheumatologist who definitively diagnosed lupus and after a discussion with my neurologist, they decided that it was lupus mimicing MS back in July 2008. I stopped the betaseron and began lupus treatment. Even with my lupus under control I have been symptomatic for at least 6 months -- attributed it all to lupus pain and exhaustion. My lupus is under control and recently i thought i was having a lupus flare, but after a visit with a neuro earlier this week he believes I am having an MS relapse. He said it is uncommon but not impossible to have both MS and lupus. i have some new symptoms with this relapse, the profound fatigue is much worse than I have ever experienced it, migraines - already had 3 in a month, one that lasted on and off for a few weeks, and odd pains for lack of a better description (waking from sleep in the middle of the night due to severe throbbing pain in my left leg only), auditory issues in my left ear only (hearing goes on and off and the sound is muffled). I am having an mri this week.

Has anyone on this site been diagnosed with lupus and MS? I am also concerned about how to treat both? do you have to choose to treat one or the other? Also, these new symptoms, the fatigue (which Nuvigil is really helping - although I have to cut the dosage, at 150 I could not sleep at all), the migraines, auditory problems -- are they here to stay now because the MS has progressed and this is the damage that has been done?

I was very sick taking the Betaseron for the 5 months that I took it. I woke up every night multiple times sweating, feverish, feeling like i had the flu. Advil PM did not stop this from happening. i never got used to giving myself the shots and more often than not, my husband gave me the injection - he liked pretending he was a doctor so it was no biggie for him. (haha) I never got comfortable with the auto injecter. I bruised very easily after the shots. I'm sure you have all been there. Anyone have better luck with a different medication?

thanks in advance for any feedback.

JHubbs

i don`t have lupus, but i do have diabetes. i can tell you that often, one autoimmune disease leads to another at a higher rate than if you have no ai disease. good luck on your quest.

dave
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I recommend you watch a presentation by Dr. Burt Berkson who has successfully treated autoimmune diseases with a combination of Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) and intravenous Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA).

The first half of the 30 minute presentation deals with cancer and the second half autoimmune diseases, including MS and Lupus. Lupus is discussed at minute 22.00.

Go to: www.LDNaware.org click on the "Resources" tab, and at the bottom of the page you will find the presentation. I think you can also find it on YouTube.

I doubt your doctor is familiar with Dr. Berkson's work, but after you watch the presentation you certainly will want to share it.

Comment

i had a bad run health wise aboiut 10 yr back and they thought i had lupus buty as i was told, getting a fir dx of lupus can be tricky and i spoke to others who had to wait for 19 yrs or so for dx- all they could te me back then was that eventually teh condition would make itself known- i almost for got about it but in 08 i had anotehr bad run adn this tinme they did a brain scan and discovered strong indications of MS that was eventauuk dicived

Comment

Kebsa - what do you mean by this... "indications of MS that was eventauuk dicivedsa" -- those last two words are real important to me. THANKS!!!

Jhubbs

Comment

Hi Jhubbs,

I think if you do a search on this site you will find quite a few folks talking about having MS with other autoimmune disorders.

For myself, I have MS, AI thyroid disease and Psoriasis.

We only have one immune system...I believe they are all related processes with different names.

I hope you find the answers you need!
            Dx 06/07
            Copaxone

Comment

Working...
            X