PAP SMEAR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAP SMEAR?

I am 60, had a pap smear 1 month ago and have MS. A NP preformed the the procedure and the only thing I felt was the metal thing that is inserted first. Got a call from the Gyno/Ob office that there wasnt enough sample to do a reading but make sure I have another in one year. What??? So in my estimation I didnt even have a pap smear. Do you feel they should have done another one or like they said " Make sure I have one in a year?" I think I should have another!

GayGay

I am not a doc by any means, but if you've always had normal pap smears and are either celibate or in a long-time monogamous relationship, I wouldn't worry about it until the next one (in a year).

I have them every year and get a repeat immediately if they didn't get anything as I had pre-cancerous cells removed in 2004. I've been normal since, but I don't take chances.

It is really what you are comfortable with and what your GYN thinks of course.

Comment

I agree with Epona - unless you have risk factors, next year would be fine. I had the same thing happen years ago and they said to come back in 1 year. Normally I have a PAP test every two years as my doctor said the detection rate is only a couple of percentage points different between one and two years.

If, however, you're going to worry about it for the whole year, I would ask for another now.

C

Comment

Wanted to say that I had this happen to me and had to return. In my case I wanted to go back because I've had alot of problems over the years.

I teased my gyn doc about not doing it right the first time, he's a top doc, so can happen no matter who does the test.

Comment

My Neurologist

My neurologist is the one that is always on my case about being current on my girly exams. My PCP said once every three years as long as I am in a monogamous relationship. My neuro has the philosophy of "you have so much going wrong with you already, we don't need to add any other illnesses as well." I'm sure he was referring to diseases that would have been easier to treat if they were caught earlier.

I guess I wouldn't worry about it....but i would be kind of angry if they charged my insurance for a botched test.

Comment

Working...
          X