MS & Emotions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS & Emotions

Other than laughing or crying on unappropriate times. What other affects can ms have on emotions? I'm in a sad mood most of the time. Don't want to interact with people, or talk on the phone. Can this be contributed to MS or am I just a moody person ?

Rhode,
    I think I know what you mean, I mainly go through the depression where like you described you dont want nothing to do with anything. No phone, that used to be something I wouldnt hear of, but over the years I find it a chore to even call my mother every day as she expects.

Anyone would call and I would tell DH to make an excuse for me...(i.e. in shower, asleep, went to store) I just dont want to talk. And sometimes I just zone out on them during the call even, that I am constantly being asked "are you there?" "did you hear me" and I dont even realize Im doing it.

I wish I got the Manic phase of bipolarism... I sure could use some energy to clean this house. Good luck with your "emotions" and I hope you can find some happy ground to stand on. Hugs
    Janel Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner Child playing with matches.
    Dx date: 7/15/2010

Comment

HI. I THINK THE MS AND OUR SHOTS MAKE US 'ANTI-SOCIAL'. I HONESTLY HAVENT SEEN/READ ABOUT PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE EXACT SAME EMOTIONALITY AS ME OTHER THAN HERE ON THIS SITE.....

Comment

I know exactly how you feel! I just don't think anyone wants to understand around me... that's why I'm starting to feel alone. Family members are starting to complain about me.. and it very much upsets me.

Why can't they just try to understand that I have lots to deal with and back off? Why am I always put in a position of having to defend myself? I find myself hiding in my house.. away from 'reality'.. NOT fun.

Comment

I know how you feel. Depression, crying, moodiness is awful to deal with. I take an anti-depressant for it. I noticed a huge change in about 4 weeks. I'm still anti social lol but I'm WAY a lot less moody.

It might help to contact your local MS chapter and see about sending your family members some informative material about their loved one dealing with this disease. Or maybe invite them to a support group with you or something. I know that requires being social but it might help.

I think after awhile my family just got used to me not wanting to talk on the phone or go out much.

Comment

could be your meds too

Some of the meds that drs prescribe for us can cause depression or exacerbate it if you have it already. You didn't mention what you were taken if anything but you may want to check with your dr too.

Other than that, I think this dx is enough to make anyone depressed. Hang in there. Feel better. Smile. It helps lift your spirits.

Comment

Lonely disease

I think MS'ers , and probably most people with chronic illness, are lonely.

If your MS is not 'active' or more of an annoyance I guess you can go on with life almost as normal. If it's not it's worrisome and very hard to deal with.

Of course, money plays a bit of a part too. Money, it's true, can't buy happiness, but it can buy medications which are needed or assistance with daily chores.

When my mom and dad were ill I'd have given anything for assets or anything that I could get for them without a huge struggle. Instead I took over most things, from finances, advocation, laundry, etc.

With my MS I feel very isolated. I can't do the things I want to; sometimes I do not feel safe driving (when very fatiqued) and the energy seems only to be there to think about doing things. A lot of things are shouldered by my DH.

I am sort of anti-social as it takes so much planning and energy to visit or travel.

At home I can be as 'weird' as I want; sleep when I need to, flop or whatever. When we travel I have to summon up enough energy to walk and talk and keep 'normal' hours.

I do it, but when I get home I'm done for!!! I'm in retirement years, with children in their own homes in different far away places in the world. To see them I usually have to travel a long way.

I also feel that I can't ask dh to live my kind of life.

I do keep busy with hobbies and even participated in a garage sale this past weekend. Of course I came home after 6 hrs in the sun and the 'busy', but I laid down on the sofa and fell asleep till suppertime. I couldn't even stir up enough energy to fix supper. I HATE feeling that way.

So, I totally understand.

I guess we must just do our best, do what we can and try to remain hopeful.

Diane
              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I am so-o-o sad!

Emotions and MS? Here's some. Since last evening I have become very sad. Very sad! I haven't felt this bad in a long time. I have been having increased numbness and rigidity in my body from the chest down, I can't sleep more than a couple hours without meds of some sort. The meds wear off in 4hrs. so I lie awake and wonder how long will it be before I am little more than "a head in a bed" not able to do anything for myself. Feeling guilty for making my dh's life a prison sentence. I've tried many times to turn him loose to live a life that he would enjoy. He would never go.

But lastnight while my dh and his son sat on our deck with me he said to his 28 yr. old son that lives with us "we should do some night fishing you, me and Ty." "It won't matter to you honey you're knocked out with meds for atleast 4 hrs. You wouldn't even no we were gone!" I was cut to the quick!

Of course, all the fears ran through me. And alittle mistrust thrown in. He could go to a strip club or have an affair (I know he would never do anything...but). Thinking about waking up in the middle of the night needing him and he's gone scares me! I need help getting in and out of bed to my wheelchair...so I would be stuck. Since the paralysis keeps getting worse I feel my whole life is paralyzed!

I told him how I felt when he asked what was wrong...he said "I was kidding...just trying to get you going." Yeah, dh 10:00 at night is the time to wind me up!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, dumb***!

Anyway, you guys...thanks for letting me vent! I really appreciate it!!!!!!!! Sorry to be such a downer! Snuz
                Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by snuzzer View Post
                  Emotions and MS? Here's some. Since last evening I have become very sad. Very sad! I haven't felt this bad in a long time. I have been having increased numbness and rigidity in my body from the chest down, I can't sleep more than a couple hours without meds of some sort. The meds wear off in 4hrs. so I lie awake and wonder how long will it be before I am little more than "a head in a bed" not able to do anything for myself. Feeling guilty for making my dh's life a prison sentence. I've tried many times to turn him loose to live a life that he would enjoy. He would never go.

But lastnight while my dh and his son sat on our deck with me he said to his 28 yr. old son that lives with us "we should do some night fishing you, me and Ty." "It won't matter to you honey you're knocked out with meds for atleast 4 hrs. You wouldn't even no we were gone!" I was cut to the quick!

Of course, all the fears ran through me. And alittle mistrust thrown in. He could go to a strip club or have an affair (I know he would never do anything...but). Thinking about waking up in the middle of the night needing him and he's gone scares me! I need help getting in and out of bed to my wheelchair...so I would be stuck. Since the paralysis keeps getting worse I feel my whole life is paralyzed!

I told him how I felt when he asked what was wrong...he said "I was kidding...just trying to get you going." Yeah, dh 10:00 at night is the time to wind me up!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, dumb***!

Anyway, you guys...thanks for letting me vent! I really appreciate it!!!!!!!! Sorry to be such a downer! Snuz
                  Ah Snuzzer, I get you. It is weird how thoughts and feelings surface when we are in a funk. I have highs and lows, and my lows always make me think stupid things. Deep down inside, you probably know your dh would never think of sneaking out, but emotions are real and bring doubt, fear, worry. maybe it is our sense of helplessness, the guilt we feel over having a spouse that is imprisoned in this world of MS.
                  Sorry your having a hard time....vent anytime. We can all relate and sympathize, it makes me feel normal to know others have silly thoughts too.

Comment

WHEN I WAS PREGGO W/ DS, WHO IS NOW 6, MY THEN DH WENT 2 THE BAR IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NITE....I GOT UP AND SEEN HIS CAR AT THE CORNER BAR, WENT IN, AND PUKED ALL OVER HIM AND ON THE BAR! I WAS VERY PREGGO AND PEEVED AT HIM. I AM NOT W/ ANYONE NOW BECAUSE I GET SO WORKED UP AND SICK WHEN THEY R NOT THERE 4 ME WHEN I NEED EM 2 BE....I'VE LEARNED 2 DEPEND ON GOD AND HE IS SILENT ALOT OF TIMES BUT I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO FIND HIM AND PUKE ON HIM! I DON'T KNOW WHY IAM POSTING THIS.....PLEASE TELL ME U VAT LEAST HAD A LAFF.....FEEL BETTER

Comment

newidme,
                      you must have been tired when you posted this, LOL! it cracked me up. I bet the ex-dh never shares that story. That must have felt great.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode View Post
                        Other than laughing or crying on unappropriate times. What other affects can ms have on emotions? I'm in a sad mood most of the time. Don't want to interact with people, or talk on the phone. Can this be contributed to MS or am I just a moody person ?
                        Rhode,
                        Having a chronic illness for which there is no cure, is something in and of itself will make you "looney" with emotions. Add the meds and pain and numbness and and and......

Of course you are going to have emotions "popping out" at weird times. I wouldn't label yourself as a "moody person"
                        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode View Post

Rhode,

How are you doing? I finally am in a better mood. The depression and anti-social thing is hard. I hate talking on the phone too. I am more of an introvert since the MS took away my mobility and is now taking my hands/arms away too. I don't like to have people around when I eat because it's embarrassing. I hope you are coming out of your sad mood by now. Have a "baby yourself" day. I do the napping and comfort food thing when I'm sad.
                          Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

rhode, i think we all, MSrs or not, have those feelings. ours are just more intense and seem to last longer. have you told your dr? i take antidepressants for my vertigo and helps w/ the downtimes. usually it hits when i'm extremely tired.
                            are you taking care of yourself? exercise, eating, sleeping right? if so, you def. need to tell dr. esp if you have suicidal thougths too.
                            you're not alone. i used to be a very upbeat, fun impulsive person. sometimes still am, but then sometimes embarrasses the crude out of my DH! like saying something inappropriate which at times i don't even catch that i did. then i clam up and go back to being an introvert.
                            been so frustrated lately that i've thrown things at DH. (nothing breakable, thank goodness!) NEVER would have done that before.
                            the MonSter does strange things to us, but with care and meds we can mostly control ourselves and actions.
                            take care & GOd bless ya!
                            "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Working...
                            X