Motivating yourself to exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motivating yourself to exercise

How do you get yourself going on exercise and stretching on days you just want to be a couch potato? On days that my back hurts or my muscles are at their weakest it feels so good to lie on my couch and either read or watch TV. That way I don't feel any pain and can ignore my body weakness until I have to get up to eat or use the bathroom. I'm hoping some of you can share some tips on how you get going when your body doesn't want to. Thanks

well I love to dance. So I get up with my children and pop in a MP3 full of songs and dance.

Also, losing 1 pound motivates me lol.

Comment

Well it depends on exactly how crappy I am feeling.If I feel like I can push through it I will just force myself to work out. However, this week for example I didn't work out until today. I was exhausted and heavy from too many events that kept me out late and a week of not enough sleep. I felt like exercise, as good as it is for me was counter intuitive this week. So I listened to my body and laid low. Today I was feeling much better so I just told myself, it's just an hour out of you day then you're done! So just do it!

Comment

I started ActiveMSer.org precisely to motivate and inspire people to stay active. Check it out. You'll find lots of motivated folks (regardless of ability) along with dozens of exercise tips and tricks to get you off your couch....

Dave Bexfield, ActiveMSers

Comment

I go to sparkpeople.com for fitness articles and forums. You make a free account and then if you go to community and look for teams, under the team section you search for ms.

There is a group of almost 800 people with MS who are active and talk to each other online about the challenges of exercising and MS. We motivate each other and send emails when we are challenged.

I made some friends that I communicate with by email from that site. No one usually just moans about their aches and pains though it is allowed, mostly they focus on trying to get fit.

I find it very inspiring. You also earn points for exercising, get trophies and various awards. It is fun !!!

Plus there are all kinds of free DVD's and other goodies that you can get from there by entering there contests. They have motivational pages, educational pages about eating, nutrition, fitness. . .

It has given me a better outlook to be there everyday. I am inspired by other's stories, especially realizing there are people who are worse off than me even though I feel bad from MS.

Comment

Originally posted by nkh18 View Post
            How do you get yourself going on exercise and stretching on days you just want to be a couch potato? On days that my back hurts or my muscles are at their weakest it feels so good to lie on my couch and either read or watch TV. That way I don't feel any pain and can ignore my body weakness until I have to get up to eat or use the bathroom. I'm hoping some of you can share some tips on how you get going when your body doesn't want to. Thanks

Diet, prayer, physical exercise and mental conditioning (!) should be practiced daily, regardless of a chronic condition like MS. This body is a gift, treat it accordingly.

The MS has actually given me even more reason to focus on these four practices. I practice each daily, as best I can, and feel better after doing so.

When I feel physically as if I have just had a serious workout upon getting out of bed in the morning.... I go to the gym. If I'm going to feel that way I might as well have a reason! And after having done so I feel better.

Everyone of us faces different limitations but learning yours with these four practices will be far better than that couch.

Jer

Comment

I've tried to pair exercise with necessary things. Like I try to do a few squats or standing leg lifts every time I wash my hands. It isn't long or much but it helps to get something going.

Comment

Exercising

Thanks for all the ideas and websites. You've been a big help. I'm looking forward to starting my new and improved exercise routine.

Comment

Working...
                X