What does "Increased tone" mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does "Increased tone" mean?

As I was trying to soak the information the neuro was throwing at us, he mentioned the DH had increased tone and asked if DH jerked in his sleep. He does it quite a bit, but never attributed it to anything neurological.

I am assuming that increased tone has something to do with spasticity (correct if I am wrong). What exactly is it? Didn't occur to me at the time to ask since it seemed incidental.
    DH - RRMS (DX 9/10/10), GERD, Asthma
    Me - RA, Sjogren's, Joint replacement queen
    DS - T1 Diabetes, Seizures, Asthma

I wanted for say first, I am glad you know the name to this "MSonster" that has your hubby.

I just finally got MS DX this year but have had symptoms for many many years. One of them was this increased tone which to my knowledge is part of spasticity. Muscles contract but do not relax..or not as well. I am now taking Baclofen which helps.

I think you are an amazing wife. I think you said your hubby would not come on here. Right? Does he tell you things he wants you to look up for him? Just wondering...

Take good care and remember YOU and hubby are not alone...you have US for support and information.

Warmly, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I think it refers to muscle mass and strength in the arms and legs (which would be a good thing).

Comment

You are right, in MS increased tone has to do with spasticity.

Originally posted by Shandi View Post
        As I was trying to soak the information the neuro was throwing at us, he mentioned the DH had increased tone and asked if DH jerked in his sleep. He does it quite a bit, but never attributed it to anything neurological.

I am assuming that increased tone has something to do with spasticity (correct if I am wrong). What exactly is it? Didn't occur to me at the time to ask since it seemed incidental.

Comment

To be quite honest Jan...I am getting tired of researching new diseases LOL.

Anyways - he prefers not to read too much. In reference to disease, if he has something going on, he just wants to know what it is, treat it, and move on. If he reads information that does not pertain to him he will get upset by it or think he is developing symptoms. DH has learned this about himself and stays away.

DH knows what MS can do, and understands the course of his disease. He just prefers not to think about it unless he needs to, and I understand that. I am the control freak and wants to know everything and be involved. After being told by the medical community that *I* was crazy when I had RA, I am particularly proactive.

Thanks to those who explained increased tone. If it was meaningless I am sure the neuro wouldn't have mentioned it when talking about the neurological exam. Now I wonder why he doesn't have noticeable spasticity during the day...hmmmm.

Originally posted by mjan View Post
          I wanted for say first, I am glad you know the name to this "MSonster" that has your hubby.

I just finally got MS DX this year but have had symptoms for many many years. One of them was this increased tone which to my knowledge is part of spasticity. Muscles contract but do not relax..or not as well. I am now taking Baclofen which helps.

I think you are an amazing wife. I think you said your hubby would not come on here. Right? Does he tell you things he wants you to look up for him? Just wondering...

Take good care and remember YOU and hubby are not alone...you have US for support and information.

Warmly, Jan
          DH - RRMS (DX 9/10/10), GERD, Asthma
          Me - RA, Sjogren's, Joint replacement queen
          DS - T1 Diabetes, Seizures, Asthma

Comment

Working...
          X