Copaxone and Cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone and Cancer

Has anyone else here ever heard the rumors/theories of the links between COPAXONE and various cancers, specifically skin cancer/melanoma. My mother had MS for 20 years, and took COPAXONE (back when it was still COP-1, actually) and it did very well for her with only occasional reactions.

Then, last January she discovered a new mole/skin irritation where there was none, and had it looked at. To make a long story short, she passed away 9 1/2 months later from the effects of the Melanoma she was diagnosed with. Anyone else hear of similar stories?

You might call Shared Solutions and ask them about this. I've never heard of any link between Copaxone and cancer.

Comment

Never heard anything like that.
      I've done alright with Copaxone for a while.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your mother.

I've never heard of any connections to skin cancer. In fact, the most active outdoors people who have MS whom i know, seem to be on Copaxone.

It's impossible to know from one person. We don't know how much your mom was in the sun and her genetic background, etc.

I agree you should call the shared solutions people and also look up "Copaxone Skin Cancer" or Copaxone Melanoma. In any case, we may never know, though if it was a greater risk, we'd hear about it.

I suspect there is not an incrased risk.

Comment

It's always been known that there is an increased risk of cancer with Copaxone. I don't know how big though.

Copaxone is designed to suppress the immune system. Patients may be at risk for developing certain infections or at greater risk for developing cancer.

http://www.drugwatch.com/copaxone/

Comment

Copaxone does not suppress the immune system, just modifies the way it works on some things.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I was able to find a study which links Copaxone to skin cancer - but you can imagine how rare it is if people aren't going on about it on this site.

It's worth being careful. there are issues with all DMDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny3838 View Post
                It's always been known that there is an increased risk of cancer with Copaxone. I don't know how big though.

Copaxone is designed to suppress the immune system. Patients may be at risk for developing certain infections or at greater risk for developing cancer.

http://www.drugwatch.com/copaxone/
                I just started copaxone 2 weeks ago and read this on an insert that came with my monthly supply of copaxone. I believe it is listed under the lists of possible side effects. I remember it clearly because it frightened me a bit. On the insert though, it mentions melanoma specifically.

Comment

Working...
                X