M.S. SUCKS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M.S. SUCKS

IT SUCKS BECAUSE SOMETHING OR SOMEONE SOMEWHERE DECIDED ON ITS ON WHAT WE HAVE TO BATTLE THE REST OF OUR LIFE! THE ONLY CHOICE WE HAVE IN THE MATTER IS HOW WE REACT TO IT! AFTER THE FLARE YOU THINK OK I WILL GET BACK TO MY OLD SELF AGAIN, NOT BEING AWARE THAT YOUR OLD SELF DOES NOT EXIST ANYMORE! IT HURTS EVERYDAY. THANK YOU LORD FOR MY KIDS BECAUSE THESE TWO BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN ARE WHAT GET ME OUT OF BED IN THE MORNING. MY OLDEST ARLIE NEEDS BREKFAST BEFORE SCHOOL AND TYLER WANTS HIS CARTOONS. IT JUST SUCKS TO KNOW I HAVE TO FIGHT THIS BATTLE THAT WAS NOT CHOSEN BY ME! HAD MY FIRST EPIDURAL PAIN BLOCK THE OTHER DAY WAS WONDERING HAS ANYONE HAD ONE AND HOW LONG DID IT LAST FOR YOU?

Hello M.S. inBama

I never had an epidural for pain, so I can't give you feedback on that. Sorry to hear that you are in alot of pain.

AFTER THE FLARE YOU THINK OK I WILL GET BACK TO MY OLD SELF AGAIN, NOT BEING AWARE THAT YOUR OLD SELF DOES NOT EXIST ANYMORE!
    I can relate to what you say about your old self does not exist anymore. Many times I hear people say "you're still you".

But I believe that as human beings we are always changing. With MS I have changed so very much over the years, and I am not my same old self either. The many ways that I used to be and do and think (the things that made my old self who it was) are so different now.

Wishing you and your children the best, and that your struggles are lessened. Also, hope you are getting some relief from your pain.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi, Bama--you're right, MS does suck. And I certainly agree that it changes us, makes us leave behind the us we used to be. I was diagnosed when I was 38--close to the age you are now. What I've learned in the 20 years since then is that everything in life moves us away from who we were and what we were before. Just wait until aging catches up to you

Your profile mentions you're a locomotive engineer--that's what my dad did most of his working years. Most people envision that as a job that involves sitting down and tooting the whistle at intersections--and that's hardly the case. The hobbies you mention are also active sorts of things, including my favorite--fishing. And then there are the two younguns--full of spunk and energy. You've got a full, active life, so MS has probably hit you like somebody jammed a stick into the spokes of your bicycle.

The bad news is that you've got MS. The good news is that you were diagnosed in an era when so many strides have already been made in modifying and treating the course of it. When I was first diagnosed, nothing could be done except throw pills at the symptoms. Science is changing everything, and we applaud that. While it has changed you from what you were before, over time you'll find that some of those changes will be blessings. In 5 or 10 years--or 20--medical knowledge will have changed radically in our favor. And in that time, you may find that the inner "you" has gained a strength and perspective that you couldn't imagine now.

It's like having a flat tire--at the time it happens, it's a royal pain in the keister. Slowed you down, made you furious and got your clothes filthy on top of it all. But remembering that flat tire many years afterward doesn't bring about the same feeling--you're more likely to remember the journey than the flat, and that's what's important in the long run.

I had a procedure years back that sounds like your pain block--a wildly painful experience when they don't numb you up for it. I had three of them--the first one was heaven for six weeks. The second one lasted two weeks. The third one lasted two days. When it comes to pain, sometimes it helps to track down the source of it, rather than covering it up.

I went to a world-famous orthopedic facility for the fluoroscope injections, a series of injections into my problem knee, MRIs, X-rays, and finally a pointless back surgery that did nothing to help and created even more problems. Then a small-town doctor looked at my MRI results, looked at where it hurt and said, "That's bursitis. Have you tried Aleve?" Geez, Louise--that was it.

Pain has many sources, including some medications and the dings of living an active life--old injuries, arthritis, etc. I hope you find relief from pain, regardless of the source. Squeeze your younguns and carpe diem, whatever the diem may bring.
      Peg

Comment

PEG U R WISE.

OP, I DO THE SAME THING IN THE A.M. JJ IS IN 1ST GRADE AND ELLIE IN KINDERGARDEN. I FINALLY GOT JJ TO GO UP/DOWN THE STAIRS FOR ME TO GET/DO SOMETHING I NEED DONE.

JJ IS SENSITIVE 2 MY INCREASINGLY FAILING BODY. HE LOVES HIS MOMMA AND DOES WELL 2 TAKE CARE OF ME. I FEEL YOUR PAIN, OP.

IAM LUCKY IN THAT MY 'FLARES' 4 THE PAST YEAR AND PRESENT HAS ALL BEEN NUMBNESS. I DREAD PAIN. I GUESS IAM HAPPY 2 BE NUMB AND HAVE FINALLY ADAPTED TO MY NUMB HANDS AND TYPING VIA PECKING AWAY W/ INDEX FINGER - - - I USED 2 BE SUCH A GOOD TYPER AND IT TOOK ME A YEAR 2 FINALLY ACCEPT AND LOVE THE NUBBY'S THAT ARE MY FINGERS

Comment

YES IT DOES....It is life changing. Iam finally on baclofen so hopefully my legs will stop shaking and I will see less of my cane.

Be thankful you have your kids. They are such a good reason to feeel better and very resilient. I like when school starts cause I have my grandson in the am to get on the bus. Forces me to get out of bed. I also have an 8 yr. old granddaughter (both step kids) and a brand new grandbaby who is3 1/2 mos. old. They live close to me, so I get to see them often. Some days I just have to see them to brighten my day. Gs ususlly corsses our little street in front of me and the other day when I was using cane and walking very slowly, he walked with me, "in case you fall grandma". so cute and unusual for a 9 yr. old boy.

Hang in there and I hope you find some relief from your pain. I am so thankful that I am old and do not have to worry about kids and lots of laundry and cooking every night anymore.

I do miss my old self every day, but I am getting used to the new me. My friends are great too, they pick me up for lunch dates so I do not have to drive far.

Thank God for understanding family and friends.

JudySz

Comment

Originally posted by M.S.inBama View Post
            IT SUCKS BECAUSE SOMETHING OR SOMEONE SOMEWHERE DECIDED ON ITS ON WHAT WE HAVE TO BATTLE THE REST OF OUR LIFE! THE ONLY CHOICE WE HAVE IN THE MATTER IS HOW WE REACT TO IT! AFTER THE FLARE YOU THINK OK I WILL GET BACK TO MY OLD SELF AGAIN, NOT BEING AWARE THAT YOUR OLD SELF DOES NOT EXIST ANYMORE! IT HURTS EVERYDAY. THANK YOU LORD FOR MY KIDS BECAUSE THESE TWO BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN ARE WHAT GET ME OUT OF BED IN THE MORNING. MY OLDEST ARLIE NEEDS BREKFAST BEFORE SCHOOL AND TYLER WANTS HIS CARTOONS. IT JUST SUCKS TO KNOW I HAVE TO FIGHT THIS BATTLE THAT WAS NOT CHOSEN BY ME! HAD MY FIRST EPIDURAL PAIN BLOCK THE OTHER DAY WAS WONDERING HAS ANYONE HAD ONE AND HOW LONG DID IT LAST FOR YOU?
            i didn`t start with rrms, it was strait to a progressive form. my old self was a faint memory when i first started to change. YES, MS SUCKS!!!!!!! never had an apidural either so i have no knowledge about that (and more, i`m sure). i`ve found that a possitive attitude helps. none of the 'why me' stuff, instead, i use it asa callenge to overcome certain obstacles. yes, the adaptations suck too, but sometimes i find a better way of doing something! just remember that every cloud has a silver lining. good luck

dave
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

KoKo: Thank you. You always have the nicest things to say. And yes my pain is relieved for now.
              Tejokid: Have not tried Aleve but have tried prescription strength anti-inflamatories to know avail.
              Newidme: Thank goodness for those kids that are helpful.
              Judy: I look forward to grandkids and having the option to send them home when they get rowdy.

Comment

Originally posted by M.S.inBama View Post
                I've had several epidurals... last April was my last. It deadend my lumbar/sacrum area for about 5 months.
                Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

Working...
                X