Toxicology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toxicology?

I noticed at one of my hospital visits where I was taken out of work by ambulance because my legs and feet were numb and tingly, and I had severe tremors, well...

The doctor there ordered a toxicology report. I've been to that hospital before and they've never done that. I know it could be a standard procedure but why would they order such a thing? Did they think I was on drugs because I was slurring my speech? Of course everything came back negative but what the heck?

I put in a call to the director just to ask why it was ordered. Do you think that's weird that I'm bothered by it? Is that normal procedure because I've never had anyone order a toxicology on me before. I just feel violated and I don't know why.

What are your thoughts? Has that happened to anyone?

Slurred speech and tremors would be a flag. Its also possible they were concerned about Rx interactions before they asked if you take any Rx.
    There are times when people just think too much but I think in this case they were looking out for you first.

Comment

Most alcoholics and drug addicts don't cop to their use. It would be irresponsible of the hospital to ignore this fact and treat with medication that could possible interact with alcohol and illegal drugs.

It's like "House" says..."Everybody Lies" and doctors have to be mindful of that. Not to say YOU do, but you get my point. They don't know you from any other person who strolls through those doors. It is a matter of the hospital covering their assorted parts

I wouldn't be offended. Perhaps I am used to it. I have many tattoos and my doctors assume I have done every drug under the sun and drink; I have never had a SIP of alcohol, much less illegal drugs. When DH had long hair, they would always ask him at least twice if he smoked or drank. They never believed us; I found it funny.
      DH - RRMS (DX 9/10/10), GERD, Asthma
      Me - RA, Sjogren's, Joint replacement queen
      DS - T1 Diabetes, Seizures, Asthma

Comment

Working...
      X