doing everything i can...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doing everything i can...

Hi everyone, im new to ms i was diagnosed in July 2010, im 19 years old and in college. Everything seems to be going well i started rebif directly after my dx and i seem to be reacting well to it so far. I also got a blood test which showed my vitamin d levels were low so im started on a vitamin d supplement of 4000 iu a day, a multivitamin, and fish oil supplement as well. I also try to exercise regularly its harder at school because im so busy but at home during the summer i was doing a mile a day and lifting weights.

So far the only symptoms ive experienced is numbness in my right leg which went away after a few months and numbness in both my hands (which i have still), i want to know that im doing everything i possibly can, im praying for the best life possible and im staying strong even though this is the toughest time of my life, ive already overcome my fear of needles in a matter of a month im doing my injections without a problem, i can do anything, i want to know im doing everything i possibly can

any suggestions?

My only suggestion would be to get into a support group . This site is a great source of support and information but if you could find a local support group that would help too. I was so surprised to find 5 people at my church that have MS. I never new they had it until I was diagnosed and started talking about it. We get together and it really makes me feel like I am not alone. Maybe there is one at your college or maybe you would be interested in starting one yourself. You have a great attitude good for you that will help.

Comment

thank you zippity, your the first person ive heard back from on this site i was hesitant to post but im opening up more now. It does feel good to know your not alone. I will look further into support groups, at first after my dx i didnt want to talk about it or tell anyone but ive opened up alot more. I called my school before coming back (my dx was in the summer) and turns out one of my school administrators has ms! i met with her and i couldnt believe how much better i felt meeting someone else who knew what I was going through, she was the first person id ever met with ms and it made me feel so good to see how well she was doing and have her tell me stories of all the challenges shes overcome, i have her here with me at school for the support i need but im interested in talking to people my age

thank you for your advice!

Comment

Hi dontstopbelieving:

My suggestion is that you pay attention to cleaning up your diet. You are what you eat. If you're still putting into your body things like sugary or artificially sweetened soft drinks and bad fats (and even wheat gluten), then you haven't even come close to doing "everything you can." Diet isn't a fringe issue, like bee sting therapy and metallic tooth fillings. Nutrition is REAL.

Go to www.DIRECT-MS.org and read up on the Best Bet Diet for MS. The site contains a plethora of scientific and nutritional information to get you on the road to doing "everything you can" nutritionally.

And P.S. Make some kind of physical activity a priority every day, even if it's just 10 minutes of stretching or walking. Use it or lose it.

Comment

Hi Dontstopbelieving,

I was told by my neuro that "endurance" is making a difference in my handling of MS.

Exercise and diet (as Redwings explained), mental and spiritual endeavors will improve your overall endurance.

Life will be different than you imagined it, but your disposition and preparedness is evident in your post. So keep your head up.

And the support / knowledge / experiences / and honesty at MS World should be drawn on when you need to either vent or lament. Good luck & Dontstopbelieving....

Jer

Comment

It's also really important that you know when to rest. The temptation to keep pushing when you are an active person is always there, but your body will let you know in a very obvious way when it can't manage anymore.

Losing sleep can trigger inflammation and that's a problem for those of us with MS.

I am sorry you've been hit with this so young. I'm 39, was diagnosed at 37 and have had MS since I was 30. I'm still out there living my life and to look at me, you;d never know I had MS, even though I am pretty ill. I just refuse to let it overrun my life.

Attitude is everything. Hang in that and it's good advice to find a support group. I belong to a "young person's" group. (We're all between 20 and 40.) It's a huge help with coping.
            DX w/NMO Nov. 2012
            (Mistakenly DX w/MS March 2008)

Comment

Welcome

No new ideas, sounds like you are already doing a lot. I remember when my girls were in college and how tired they got, so I would say rest is really important.

Hangin there and come back often. It does help to talk to others.

JudySz

Comment

thank you all so much for your support, it is hard being hit with it at my age, i got my diagnosis a month before college and my biggest goal was to start medicine and go back to school, it was a question that whole month whether or not i would be able to go back to school right away, its alot to adjust to but im strong and here i am back at school like everyone else. Im going to do everything i possibly can to not let this run my life, i have alot of hope and i can tell i have a good support system on this site, thank you everyone who responded i really needed to hear back from people. thank you for your support.

Comment

activemsers.org

I have another suggestion check out this web site I just discovered it myself activemsers.org
                  I thought of you right away being so young and vibrant. I hope you are doing well.

Comment

zippity thank you again, everyone thank you, i feel so much comfort in this site i find myself checking it more than facebook haha stay in touch everyone i'm always wanting to hear new things i can do to further improve my life
                    thank you!

Comment

Working...
                    X