MS or Depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS or Depression

My DH has been sleeping so much lately and I am not sure if it is the MS or depression. When he is awake he seems to be fine it is just that he is not awake often. He used it work all the time [roofer] even after he was first diagnosed but now that he is disabled and cannot work it seems to have changed him. What are signs I should be looking for if it is depression?

The most common symptoms of depression include low self-esteem, suicidal thoughts, loss of interest in usually pleasurable activities, fatigue, changes in appetite, sleep disturbances, apathy, and sexual problems, including reduced sex drive. In women, depression may cause them to feel sad and emotional. Depression in men, on the other hand, may cause them to be irritable, aggressive, or hostile.

Comment

I KNOW

ITS SOUNDS LIKE IT CALL HIS DOCTOR THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP YOU .GOOD LUCK

Comment

Originally posted by gullatte View Post
        ITS SOUNDS LIKE IT CALL HIS DOCTOR THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP YOU .GOOD LUCK
        I must agree with checking with your Doctor.

Just some information from personal experience. I have suffered with Depression for many years, way before the MS came along and smacked me.

During my "low times" I did sleep/nap along with the other symptoms.

During my "good times" I never took a nap. Maybe it's me, but naps were for the lazy people.

NOW, with the MS I find that I tire more easily and most days of the week I nap for a hour or so. So I guess I'm now one of the lazy people. Maybe we could start a "Society of Lazy People"...lol
        Medicated for Your Protection

Comment

MS or Depression

He doesn't seem to be depressed he complains about not being able to stay awake. He just seems to be progressing at a very rapid pace. He was on Acthar a week ago and it seemed to help while he was on it but after about 3 to 4 days upon completing the med he seemed to get very fatigued again. The only thing that worries me about depression is he doesn't seem to have the energy to do anything that he normally wants to do. He has had problems with sex for a while now, at first it really bothered him but now I think he has accepted that it just another part of this horrible disease.

Angie

Comment

Depression can affect my body in many weird ways. Lately, it affects my mornings: waking dizzy, gagging, weak neck, disoriented, shaky.

Depression to me is everything slows way down, including my mental ability to respond to it.

Also, because several of my meds are taken early and mid-day, I think I could be withdrawing from them each daily cycle.

It's horrible, nauseating, and I'm sick of it!

Comment

Both?
              MS is depressing?

Comment

MS or Depression

I am beginning to think it is the MS. He was feeling better for a couple of days but began feeling bad again this evening with complaining of bladder pain and also a bad headache. The fatigue does seem to be under control now.

Comment

You said he was complaining of bladder pain...get him checked for a UTI (you can get strips at the drug store if you don't want to go into the dr.) I can have a UTI w/out any symptoms at all, and it will play havoc with my body and fatigue.

If it's not a UTI, and just plain old MS fatigue, there are meds for that. Also, is he on any med that might be adding to his fatigue. Certain meds they prescribe for us can make one very sleepy.

Hope you find some answers.

Comment

I agree with RDMC (in fact, I was just about to post the same thing.) Many meds can cause sleepiness. Zanaflex, Neurontin, and Baclofen are just a few. (Zanaflex knocks me totally out!)

Also, thyroid problems and other medical conditions can also cause excessive tiredness, so your husband may need to discuss this with the doctor, just to rule out everything else. (Not everything is caused by MS.)

If fatigue is an issue, have your husband try 1,000 to 2,000 mg of acetyl L-carnitine and 200 mg of alpha lipoic acid every morning. These are two antioxidants which have been proven in studies to be very effective in combating MS fatigue. (There is a current thread that I started on the nutrition board with a lot of great success stories from folks who are taking the supplements.)
                    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

easy does it...

As someone who has ms, and happens to be a psychotherapist, I cannot emphasize enough that depression manifest itself in many different ways, regardless of gender. The bottom line is that ms and depression, unfortunately, go hand and hand. Despite my education and 15 years of experience treating depression/anxiety, I did not realize that I was clinically depressed until I started medication. Typically, it is a family member who nudges the patient to be receptive to anti depressants. Please communicate your concerns to your spouse and discuss requesting medication to address his emotional state.
                      Good Luck and please keep us posted. Remember: you matter too!!! Take care of yourself, okay?
                      Shalom
                      You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

interferons may cause depression

Comment

UTI

He was tested for UTI but it was negative. The fatigue was getting better but the last 2 days he has been complaining of being very tired again. When he is feeling good I think he tries to do too much.

Comment

Originally posted by fromthesouth View Post
                            When he is feeling good I think he tries to do too much.
                            Probably.
                            That is a problem with many of us.
                            When we feel good, often we try to make up for lost time.

It is a tricky cycle that is difficult and humbling to deal with.

Comment

MS causes depression

MS all by itself seems to cause depression in many of us, regardless of our feelings about the disease.

Sounds as if your husband will benefit from the right anti-depressant, however, please research the drug his neuro or PCP prescribes. Some, like Paxil and Effexor are very hard to drop, but since MS is lifelong this may not be an issue.

Many anti-depressants have a negative effect on libido, cause serious weight gains, my wife (non MS) is now taking Oleptra which is a time release form of trazodone. Her libido has finally returned to her pre-depression levels, an effect I greatly appreciate. She is loosing weight much to her delight, she was taking Paxil and was not monitored by her dr., in the dosage she was Rx'd the effects were not desirable - she went numb.

FYI I'm on Effexor 150 and also inject 1 cc of Testosterone every two weeks. I also take Ampyra which has a positive effect on walking as well as libido and brain.

Comment

Working...
                              X