MS Fashion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Fashion

Just thought I'd try to find a subject to lighten things up.

Do you wear any particular style of clothing that is due to your MS dx.

I find I prefer pants with elastic in the waist as they are easy to pull on and also give a bit so I'm more comfy.

I prefer nice pullover tops to button up, though i have a good number of button up blouses. I try to find easy care no iron and Land's End has my favorite ones.

I consider buttons my special challenge to overcome :-)

Shoes are my most difficult item of clothing. I want good looks and comfort; can't wear clogs, I just walk out of them!

How about you? If you have some good tips to pass along or just to share your preferences .......add your opinion please.

Diane
    You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

MS Fashion

Hi,

I am the same way!!! Thought it was just me I find that

jeans are just too binding and they actually make me have

an episode of the Hug! I'm not sure why unless it's that

they are too tight and heavy. Anyway, I like the pants with elastic or even tie.

Capri's are my favorite right now. I don't wear button up

shirts either. Pull overs are just so much more comfy. Baggy is it for me. Shirts and pants!!!

I haven't found any shoes that are comfortable for me. So

if you are anyone have any suggestions... Please fill me in!!

Comment

Great Thread!

I have discovered the wonders of Yoga pants! I like the ones that are very smooth and cool to the touch. FILA makes some that have a polyester/spandex blend, but they aren't constricting (around the waist or anywhere else). I buy the ones that are solid black (no stripes) because they look great, literally, with anything from a casual t-shirt, to a dressy blouse.

Because I have sensory issues mainly on my legs and waist, textures can be a big problem with neuro pain, so I have to have fabrics that don't irritate (which rules out most). Since this last flare, my tennis shoes hurt, so I bought a pair of soft slippers that have a sole on the bottom to go with the pants.

I'll still throw on a pair of jeans if dh and I go out on a date, but they're comfortable enough to wear for an evening and that's it. Someday, I hope to be able to throw on my healed boots on occasion too. LOL
      dx Transverse Myelitis March/2008 - dx upgraded to RRMS June/2008
      Rebif June/2008
      Tysabri October/2010

Comment

A former preppie guy who now wears elastic wastebands

I am so with you on your post. I used to wear khakis and button downs all the time. Now I look for comfort over fashion all day long. While the summer has been long, I dread having to put on shoes again instead of my flip flops. And wearing socks again, yikes!!!

Comment

hi diane,
          i find that loose fitting clothes work best for me. i`m wc bound so the extra means i have room to shift weight, ect. as far as the shoes go, i`m a guy so tennis shoes are fine. and i agree, buttons are the pits.

dave
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

fashion?

gee i thought it was just me. i can't wear clogs,flipflops,anything that doesn't strap on have a back to it or ties.just walk right out of them.curious to find someone else this happens to. as for clothes pull on pants are the best!,so are pull over shirts.the way styles are today i can wear yoga pants or leggins a long top (so you can't tell i have super poise's on) and i'm still in style. thanks for the post on this. i actually thought i was the only one. theresa

Comment

Theresa106 I have the same problems with shoes that you do. It's hard to find shoes that look nice but don't have to be laced to keep on. I'll be happy when the cool weather comes so I can wear boots that I love.

I have been searching all summer for sandles that have support, but so far no luck.

And i love slippers. The only kind I don't walk right out of are Deerfoams booties. They are so comfortable and don't come off until I take them off

Comment

I went to fishing shirts, not so much for MS but for the POCKETS. My fav is Columbia bonehead which has a pocket perfect for my insulin pen. A BONUS has been the vent not found on regular shirts to help keep COOL!

IN 2007 I was Rx'd AFOs and given 2 options, one had steel rods on each side of each leg....NO THANKS, I opted for Arizona boots, leather covered molded steel I wear with regular shoes. I wear LONG pants instead of shorts so even the AFOs don't show.

This summer my MS neuro Rx'd a cooling vest, again two options, I went for the nicer looking one..of course!

FASHION? Probably my biggest fashion statement is my CANE. The first time my eye spoted Crystal it was at first sight. Gone was the cheapo, hand-hurting cane I had used for several years. Since I was ORDERED against my *&^$^ wishes to USE a cane on a regular basis, I figured I wanted one that reflected my persona so much better. Crystal is solid acrylic and transparent, it fits ME.

Doc Gomer

Comment

Oh what a fun post.....I miss my high heels most, and my semi flat stomach.....Now shoes, I have always worn flip flops way into the winter....love them...I just wear flats now, the cute ones, pointed toes,round toes, I do not care...they are easy to get on and comfy for me. I never liked tennis shoes, and as fall comes, I will drag out my backless ones or the ones that do not have ties....I love my pjs, but still wear jeans when I go out....I have gained weight so I wear the big tops that look like pregnant ops now. I like your ideas about yoga pants. I am too old for leggings, but I think I might try dresses with tights and see if that looks okay.

I cannot wear earrings unless one of my dd's is here cause I cannot put them in and I have a hard time with necklaces too cause of clasp, but I like the long ones that I can slip over my head and i am getting a lot of bracelets.

Gomer is right, the cane is my fashion accessory. Saving for more.....Mine is flowered and I have gotten many compliments on it.

I also am wearing sunhats.....helps alto in the summer.

Judy Sz

Comment

I switched to docksider shoes a while ago. The flatter heal seems to help and you can tie them just tight enough that you can kick them on or off without having to re-tie them.
                    Plus, they're good for almost any situation and water proof.

Comment

I can no longer stand so wearing pants is difficult. When I did they had to be the stretching knit pant with an elastic waist. So now I just wear polo style dresses. It makes it easy when you have to go the the bathroom. I still feel like wear the same thing every day just a different color. I do miss being able to change up style.

Comment

I don't have an official diagnosis yet but I find pull overs are best as well. I can not do buttons too well.

Someone mentioned fabrics that are irritating. Which ones aren't irritating? I have loads of sensory symptoms so I would be very helped by knowing. Thanks.

I don't have many ideas to share. Up until this year, I modeled and well, I'm still very partial to many things. It hurt to be beautiful then and it still hurts now okay okay *choke* *slaps self for the vanity*

Secret, I sit at home most of the time wearing my pajamas and I go out in them too but don't tell anyone. I can't wear heels anymore at all, I HATE THAT! The shoes are SO darn cute but my husband tells me no anytime I say anything out at the store now. Hell, I don't even do my hair or wear makeup anymore lol

Comment

Originally posted by DianeD View Post

I consider buttons my special challenge to overcome :-)

Shoes are my most difficult item of clothing. I want good looks and comfort; can't wear clogs, I just walk out of them!
                          Buttons! Urrgh! I can't do buttons either. The problem is easily solved for me, anyways, by a button hook. Great little gadget.

I used to walk right out of my shoes,too. Go flipping right off and I'd end up tripping on them. It sounds funny, but I switched to Crocs (real Crocs,not the drug store knockoffs) and didn't have the problem anymore. I know the original Crocs are not the cutest shoes in the world, but since they branched out a bit, they have a lot or really cute styles ranging from Mary Janes to boots.

I really liked them because they're very light and flexible and completely washable. Much more comfortable than other shoes. Now that I use the wheelchair, I do occassionally wear other shoes. I don't have to worry about falling in them anymore.

Comment

So I'm not the only one! I can't stand the restriction of anything that's even a little bit snug, so the first thing to go was bras. Because of that, I mostly buy men's shirts, the ones with the pleated, double layered, safari or military style pockets, to hide the fact that... Well, you know. (Sorry guys.) Men's shirts are generally cheaper and better made than women's tops anyway--why is that?

I buy the stretch denim leggings, but I get them in a size large enough that they fit like regular pants. The only "touching" part of them is the elastic waist--which is also needed because when you gotta go, you gotta go right now. The stretch denim doesn't hold up as long as I'd like, but they don't bind or constrict. If I've got a pair of newer ones in the closet, they work for anything I'm likely to get "dressed up" for. Putting on the dog is buh-bye--now I only have to be fancy enough to put out the dog

Shoes are generally New Balance--the wider sizes allow for fat feet and an AFO. Men's shirts, stretchy britches and waffle-stomper shoes--by golly, I'm stylin' now!
                            Peg

Comment

Reading through this has really helped my outlook on this subject. There are some great ideas here and many of them I am also using/wearing.

Wide brim hat with solid top and mesh sidewall. Really helps with the beating sun and allows for evaporative cooling effect.

Athletic shorts with elastic waistbands or loose jeans with suspenders (real fashion statement with those) and simple pull over pocket t-shirt. All of which I can mostly complete without raising my butt from the bed.

Cane or should I say Cane's? I do have a walker, but am mostly just too stubborn to use it. I have a same collection of cane styles that I have tried over time. The simple curved (partial loop) handle, the straight horizontal handle, the 4 tip leg model and a palm grip handle. I started with the curved single tip, moved to the straight horizontal handle with the 4 tip leg rather quickly, moved again to the palm grip and now I use the palm grip (left side) or the straight horizontal handle with single tip. I have found that the palm grip is mostly the best choice for me and my comfort, but there are times when I use the single tip straight handle since I can switch hands as I move in and around objects.

As far as footwear is concerned....Crocs, CrocsRX or the cheaper ( I found them for $7) Walmart version of the Crocs. If you are looking for assistive items or footwear that is easy on/off and comfortable I would suggest that you take a look at http://www.goldviolin.com/Foot_Care_s/136.htm
                              Medicated for Your Protection

Comment

Working...
                              X