Manual Injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual Injection

Yesterday I began doing my Copaxone injections manually. Just thought I'd comment on it to compare this to the autoject process.

The needle is, indeed, so fine that there is absolutely no pain involved. Yes, it's a bit hard to talk yourself into doing, but I was surprised how easy it is.

I do notice some pain after the Copaxone is injected. It is the medication itself, not the process. It does not hurt as much as with the autoject.

I also can inject the full length of the needle.

So far, so good. I'll at least give this a chance for a while.

Just remember to 'pinch' some skin and inject into it. Then you stop pinching, making sure you don't let the skin area pull away from the needle.

Diane
    You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

I've been injecting a little over a year now. I only used the autoinjector for about 6 wks. I find it to be much more traumatic than manual injection.....which is also less painful. I take my time pushing in the med and it makes all the difference.

So, if you are hesitating, don't. It truly is easier on you.

Comment

I have to chime in and say Yes@! It is alot better. I started manually injecting about a week ago just to try. I won't be going back to the autoject. It is truly less painful and appears that the damage is indeed less.

Surprised as heck.

Justacowgirl
      Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Manual Injection

Question ......in all the literature that comes with my Betaseron, it says to draw back the needle when you inject manually and if you draw blood you have to throw that away and start over...............when you use the autoinject you don't do that...............so .......do any of you draw back first....or just go for it ????? I cannot see "throwing away" this medicine ........ thanks for any replies !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golfwidow View Post
          Question ......in all the literature that comes with my Betaseron, it says to draw back the needle when you inject manually and if you draw blood you have to throw that away and start over...............when you use the autoinject you don't do that...............so .......do any of you draw back first....or just go for it ????? I cannot see "throwing away" this medicine ........ thanks for any replies !!!!!
          I thought they stopped saying that a while ago?
          I've switched shot locations halfway thru the injection. Sometimes you hit a spot where 1 mL of fluid is going to cause some pain. What I'll do first is pull the needle back about an 1/8th of inch and try again. If that doesn't work, I'm like you and I'm not going to waste a shot.
          In my reasoning, I don't see how I can infect myself with myself.

Comment

I never draw back. I have been doing manual injection for the past 5 years. First with Betaseron now with Copaxane.

As a lot of you have said you can indeed control how fast the med goes in and can use the full length of the needle, makes a big difference. Some times I do hit a blood vessel (blood comes out when I pull out the needle) but it never seemed to cause a problem.

Manuel is the way to go.
            Romans 8:28
            Dx with RRMS in July 2001

Comment

manual injection

i started rebif 6 weeks ago, the first time i did my injection i used the autoinjector it made me jump i felt like it was so violent. So then i talked to my nurse more and she recomended trying the shots manually, you have alot more control and she said people typically prefer to do it manually. The way i do it is i just rest the needle against my skin for about thirty seconds till my pores open up and then my skin accepts the needle, i need to help it a bit but its virtually painless! takes about 3 minutes to get the needle in all the way and then i go very slowly injecting the medicine and when i go slow enough i dont feel it at all!

it doesnt say anything in the rebif information ive read about drawing the needle back and checking for blood, ive never done that before, im not sure... keep us updated im interested

Comment

Originally posted by dontstopbelieving View Post
                it doesnt say anything in the rebif information ive read about drawing the needle back and checking for blood, ive never done that before, im not sure... keep us updated im interested
                That's old Betaseron information. They stopped saying that a while ago.

Comment

I just did it tonight!

I've been injecting a little over three years now, and I've been wanting to inject manually for a while now...I finally did it!! That big sting I feel 99% of the time didn't happen.

The needle went in easily and I didn't have that 'dart' feeling I get when I use the auto-inject.

Hopefully the lumps will be less??? Here's hoping!
                  Dx 06/07
                  Copaxone

Comment

I only used the auto injector one time and it bruised me. It's much easier to just do it manually.

Comment

Love manually injecting! (Well, as much as one can love giving themselves an injection) I have never used the autoinject. I like pushing the med in slowly so it doen't sting.

Comment

Change is good!

I have been taking injections since June 2008. Several months ago something went wrong with me attempting to use the autoject so I had to manually inject. Well it wasn't that bad, I just never did it again. After reading these comments I tried again this morning in my leg. OMG!!! I have to keep trying at the different sites. It was amazingly easy and pain free (for the most part). The autoject had gotten me to the place where I would so anticipate the pain that I was jumping before I injected. I really want to continue the manual injections.

Can anyone please advise me on the best way to inject manually to the back of the arms? I am sure this will be the most challenging area. Thanks

Comment

Roll the back of your arm on a dining room chairback; or on a table or counter. (This is how I do my autoinjection as well). Be sure to inject at a 90 degree angle - which sounds like it will be awkward. I'll be doing my first manual injection (Beta) in my arm next week.

Comment

I too inject manually. I feel like my site reactions aren't as bad as they were with the autoject. And once you've done it a couple times it's so scary!

Comment

I've been doing the manual since i started this thread and I really do think it's better. I can't do my right arm because my left hand is weak, so hubby does it.

Remember to gently tap the syringe to knock any medication from the tip of the needle. That does help a lot.

Good luck to everyone!
                              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
                              X