Back Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Pain

I don't know if I am having a relapse or not. Last week, my left knee hurt to walk. By the end of the day, I was having shooting pains radiating down and up that leg. The next morning it was gone. It came back three days later. Now it is gone.

Now, I feel as though I pulled the muscles on my left side, from my waist to the mid-point of my lower back. This has lasted for three days. This morning, I am also feeling numbness on the tips of my left thumb and index finger.

I haven't done anything that would have pulled the muscles on my left side. Can this be an MS symptom? I have been on Baclofen and Klonopin for four years. I would think those two meds would help.

Anyway, if anyone has had this, please let me know. Either way, I'll call my neuro in the morning.

Thanks,
    Cammie

Oh my goodness! You're describing exactly what I've had going on for the past month. It started when I suddenly felt like I had a Charlie horse in my back and right hip. The pain radiated down the front and back of my leg and I could barely walk. Three days later, the pain was gone; but then it all came back four days after it had stopped and stayed for a couple more days. (I still have a twinge of it off and on.)

The following weekend after that started, I just barely twisted my left knee and suddenly couldn't walk for two days. I had to attend the graduation ceremony at the school where I teach hobbling on a cane. And just as suddenly as the pain started, it stopped.

The only thing I could figure with both occurrence was spasticity, because I was also having bad muscle spasms in my legs, arms, and upper back too.

How much baclofen are you taking? You may need to temporarily increase it while you have having these symptoms. (I upped mine from 60 mg to 70-80 mg, per my doctor's approval, while I was having problems.)

I hope you get some relief from the pain soon.

Big hugs,

Lisa
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Pain in Back

Wow, sounds exactly like what I have. I take 20mg of Baclofen, three times a day. The Baclofen has controlled my spascity for several years. This is a totally new development. I haven't had to use my cane since April, but have brought it back out again. I'll ask my doctor if I can take a higher dose of Baclofen. It does help for several hours after I take the pill.

It seems that most of the time I go along with no problems, to the point that I forget I have MS. As soon as a new symptom shows up, it shocks me - reminding me that I do indeed have MS. Such a roller coaster!

I attend a yoga class twice a week. It has helped tremendously with muscle spasms and pain. It doesn't seem to be helping much with my back, though.

Comment

Something I just thought of, you may want to call your GP too. Pain in the waist, lower back area can also be from the kidneys, so you might have a kidney infection going on.
        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Back Pain

That's an excellent idea. I didn't even think about that. I had a kidney infection years ago, and it felt a lot like this.

Thanks again!

Comment

Back Pain

Saw my GP today. He thinks I have a torn muscle in my back. He gave me Lidocaine patches. They completely numb the area that hurts. He told me to take Aleve and increased my Baclofen.

It seems to be helping. Guess it will take a while to heal. Thanks again for the advice. It's nice to know that someone else out there has the same symtoms. Sometimes you wonder if you are the only one.

Comment

Just wanted to mention NOT to forget your back. I was treated for YEARS with Neurontin for "nerve pain" in legs only to learn my lower spine was so messed up. My bulging discs are now extruding and one vertebrae slipping over the other causing spinal stenosis.. bad bad pain. AND..could end up emergency surgery once incontinence starts.. so GET your back MRId too ok?

Good luck

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

We have made a connection...

DH and I were discussing his symptoms he has had over the course of ten years. While he has had some minor glitches along the way, the major flares were ALWAYS preceded by dental pain.

We were looking at his dental records and all the non-routine visits were for mild aches. All of these aches were around the time of a flare. The dentist always takes xrays and finds nothing.

Interesting find tonight...
                DH - RRMS (DX 9/10/10), GERD, Asthma
                Me - RA, Sjogren's, Joint replacement queen
                DS - T1 Diabetes, Seizures, Asthma

Comment

Working...
                X