Ampyra- 1 dose (10 mg) vs 2 a day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ampyra- 1 dose (10 mg) vs 2 a day?

Greetings- I have been on Ampyra for 3 weeks now- 2 weeks at 1 dose (10mg) and now 1 week with 2 doses. With 1 dose (AM), I noticed walking improved (I have right side weakness with foot drop) especially for about 4 hours --by PM my leg and foot dragging again.

With 2 doses, I do not notice significant improvement so far- in fact, I had a rough day today with weak leg.

So...am wondering if anyone else is on 1 dose with good results (vs 2).

A positive: Also noticed bowel movements daily now (yeh!)
    vs chronic constipation- thank you Ampyra?

Hi anniepat, I've been on Ampyra for about 6 weeks now. My neuro started me on 2 pills a day from the beginning.

It has helped give my weak left leg more strength and the foot drop is better also. However I still have some bad days too.

Glad it has helped with your bm too! Wishing you continues good luck!! Kathy

Comment

I not taking the Ampyra but have been on the compunded version of it (Aminopyradine) for almost a year. I take 10mg 4 times a day.

It helps (and it also helps to keep things moving, if you know what I mean). I don't notice it as much now as when I first started taking it. However when I stopped taking it for a little while to see if it made a difference anymore I did experience an increase in my symptoms (foot drop and leg weakness)
      Steve

Comment

There are few things that make improvement hard to judge for example;

With Ampyra you still have good days and bad days, and that will not change.
        So your foot dragging again may have just been a bad day, and without Ampyra it may have been a really bad day.
        Just can’t tell, but I see no reason why maintaining your Ampyra level by taking a AM and PM dosage would cause it to be less effective.

Also when it first starts effecting a improvement it take time for your body to adjust.
        For example I had tingling and numbness in my fingertips and after a week or two I also had burning for about a week.
        Then when the burning stopped my numbness was also gone, still have tingling but it nice to feel small items I’m holding.

It takes months before your body fully adjust, so I recommend just give it time and don’t stress over the up & downs.
        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

thanks for great advice all!

Comment

Working...
          X