panic spells?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

panic spells?

Lately I've been having these "spells" when I get up from lying down for 5 minutes--lightheaded, shaky, rubbery legs, and a panic feeling without much energy support (aka adrenaline).

I've been changing my Nuvigil/Xanax/Wellbutrin schedule around, and It seems like these meds are propping me up thru the day, which I hate, so maybe there's withdrawal going on?

My docs pretty much let me work with the dosages, which are very small (I don't want to get muscle weakness), as long as they know the meds and how much I'm taking.

When I call my caregiver when this happens, she always says it's panic. Any similar experiences?

Sorry Truckin for going through this. It could be that when you stand up your BP is dropping as its trying to adjust to gravity. Its called POTS or postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. Often its caused by meds but can be related to other conditions, like dysautonomia..which is what I have.

Whos adjusting your meds? YOU? or a doc? It can be dangerous to do this on your own and your body is alarming you in this manner that its going to quickly.

Let us know ok

Be careful

Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

It Happens.

I've had this happen to me more than a few times. I'm on Buspar for anxiety and it is also thins my blood. When I go to get up from lying down, my blood pressure drops (gravity), I get REALLY dizzy, my vision dims, and I usually end up clinging to the wall. It does create a sort of "panic." In reality, its just a side effect of the Buspar and my heart having to work extra hard to pump blood back up into my head. There have actually been a few instances where I DID pass out and fall and hit something. NOT FUN!

You might look into the side effects of the three meds you are messing around with and see if blood thinning is one of them.

I've learned to get up slowly (when I remember) and to not take too steps if I forget. (Or learn the hard way and fall into a portable heater like I did!)

Good Luck! And be careful!
      Rae Roy

Comment

Med stuff

Hey truckin',

Sounds like you're going through a super rough time. I'm sorry - this stuff can be so hard at times.

Re: the meds, does your neuro. know what meds. you're on? I have a great PCP, but he accidentally put me on something one time that I got an awful reaction from - my neuro said it was the meds not playing nicely together. Now I run everything through the neuro. If you don't have one that has a nurse willing to do that - find another one you're comfortable with. You deserve that.

Re: the panic I've read about in some of your posts. I know everybody is telling you to breathe - and they're right - a breathing technique you can use is the 4 count.
        1. Inhale to the count of four
        2. Hold your breath to the count of four
        3. Exhale to the count of four
        4. Do nothing for four seconds

Hang in there, friend.

God bless!

Comment

I've thought about the POTS and talked to my docs about it in my appts over the last couple of years. My last appt with my PCP she checked me and also said the med doses are too small to cause the interaction. The nurses closed their contract several weeks ago because I was doing so good.

Everyone, including my neuro, who's more careful, says I have anxiety/panic big time, cause it comes out in the nite early morning, and naps, not during the day so much while I'm doing my usual activities. Except of course my agoraphobia. Anyway I started another thread to get me thru to my first ptsd appt on Tuesday.

At least Nuvigil wakes me up. Like now I've been up an hour and still my muscles are going thru mud.

Fatigue + panic aren't fun.

Comment

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time.

I have panic attacks and since I have been on Ativan they are not as frequent. The breathing technigue works really well.

I also call my mom and just talk it out...about anything. A good friend would work as would a understanding spouse.

I also take Nuvigil just so I can work my 8 hours a day.

I know stress triggers or increases a lot of my symptoms...which Im working on!

My prayers and well wishes are with you!!

Comment

[QUOTE=truckin;1244358]I've thought about the POTS and talked to my docs about it in my appts over the last couple of years. My last appt with my PCP she checked me and also said the med doses are too small to cause the interaction. The nurses closed their contract several weeks ago because I was doing so good.

HI again Truckin...

Let me tell you many docs are not aware nor no how to diagnose POTS or any Dysautonomia. My symptoms ALWAYS came at rest much more than when I was active.

Now I am not saying you have POTS or dysautonomia but I dont want you to keep suffering needlessly either. Go to the Dysautonomia site: DINET and do some looking around. Also, do a "poor mans' POTS test but you need someone with you and someone to write down your BP/HR. Then you take it sitting, standing then sitting again. For most, the longer you stand, the worse you feel. Do you get tachy or feel palpatations?

I was lucky after nearly 20 years of these symptoms, and my new PCP heard my concerns, as her own mother went through it too, and made the referral to the Autonomic clinic to be tested. There are not many autonomic clinics either.

Anyway an Autonomic neuro is the one who "adjusts" your meds. Turns out the beta blocker I was put on by a cardiologist, was too high and causing some symptoms..and he added Clonidine for nighttime or to carry whenever I get those symptoms.

Hope this helps..keep us informed hon

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Yeah, I've researched POTS--I think this is more my body adjusting to the anxiety. I always had racing heart with anxiety for years. It's weird, cause after last week of attack after attack, my resting heart is now 60, and on the exercise bike 110. I think that'll improve when the weather turns cooler. Extreme heat has kept me cooped up for weeks, so I'm outta shape. Plus cog fog.

My next appt with neuro is the end of September--will bring it up. Just had an annual 2 weeks ago with PCP. Like someone else said, could be my reduction in Nuvigil.

Anyway, I started sitting on the side of my bed and doing upper body windmill-type deals with the breathing exercise.

I just can't get obsessed about it, cuz then the panic is off and running again.

Comment

Working...
                X