I was Laid Off Today.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jamilea -

Glad that you contacted the EEOC. I hope that you can get some sort of relief through them.

I also believe that it is illegal to not issue the last paycheck when someone is let go from a company.

Write down some notes and as much as you can remember about what's been happening at work the last few months. Contact your employer for a copy of your personnel file - they are required by law to give it to you but may charge a reasonable fee for copying.

Then keep track of all of your phone calls, contacts, who you talk to and when, what you discussed, etc. as you start the process of filing against the company. The more ammunition and backup you have, the better. I know this from experience with my husband. Having notes to refer to and paperwork, etc. was invaluable in his labor board case against a former employer.

I hope that you come through this with something that will work for you. Even if you file a suit, know that it can take many, many months for any action to take place. Our whole case took almost a year and we took a settlement instead of going to court. In the meantime, you probably need to try to file for disability benefits, or find another job -- which totally sucks.

Comment

Oh hon, HUGS~!!!!!!!!! This is just one more thing isn't it?

You are being rather productive about this..speaking to an ATTY and all already. AND look at how ALL of us here in MS World truly care with the outpouring of SUPPORT!!

Yes, have that colonoscopy done. Tell your docs if they can rush your orders for tests. I would think the LP and EMG could wait for now. Sorry. BUT take care of that colon and female issue now.

You can email me.. you know that.

But.. this is one of those moments I wish we could get a glimpse of the future, when you will look back and see the purpose of this crappy door closing. There is ALWAYS a new door being opened.. to continue your healing...and to give you HOPE!!!!!!

Prayers continue..and hug that amazing hubby of yours for me ok hon?

Warmly, Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

If they ask why I want my personnel file, what do I tell them?

Comment

Others can answer the ques about personnel file..but..if you do get an Atty..and THEY ask (with your written permission) it will make them take notice for sure.

Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I really don't know that I can prove it's discrimination but it seems strange they lay me off right when I start missing work often because of trips to the ER and screaming, agonizing pain!!

Maybe I should just let it go and try to get protected by some advocacy foundation so that when I go to another job, I'll be covered.

I will go to the unemployment office next Thursday and file as well as tap into any resources that I can find like food stamps or something while I'm looking for more work.

I can do this. I CAN DO THIS!

Comment

You should not have to provide any reason. We simply wrote a letter to the company, sent it by certified mail and simply requested a copy of his personnel file be mailed to us at our address.

There was no reason needed. Each state may have its own rules, but in ours the labor board rules indicated that an employee has the right to their own personnel records.

Good luck !

Comment

Jamilea, ((((HUGS)))) and tears for all you are going through. I hope it works out with the EEOC.

My husband is scared to death right now because he has cancer and very many expensive and ongoing tests to follow it. He lacks 5 retires to retirement and is trying to do his best to get it done but he knows they are waiting for any little thing to let him go.

Get as much testing done as you can during what's left of your insurance.

I will be praying for you and your family.
                "...the joy of the Lord is your (my) strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Comment

EEOC

Originally posted by lilrooster1976 View Post
                  jamilea

Believe me when I say I feel your pain! I went on an LOA after working for Wal-mart as a manager for 7.5 years. I only took 8 weeks, even though my neuro wanted me off longer as I am still not recovered.

I felt pressured to return by my boss so i got my neuro to release me and went back to work (overnights). That first morning my boss walked in and fired me!
                  Lilrooster -

Have you talked with someone about EEOC issues? It would have been clearly illegal to fire you during the leave - so the fact that you felt pressured by the boss to come back makes it not look so good that you were fired on the first day back.

Seriously. I saw something like this at a workplace in the early 1990s, but the woman wouldn't file a claim because she had wanted to stay home with the kids anyway, so saw it as a sign...rather than as the targeting of women that it really was at that time.... but that's another story. Even a rep from the EEOC was interested in her being more vocal.

I'd urge you to talk to someone - the NMSS can put you in touch with someone, or you can get in touch with the EEOC (eeoc.gov)

Good luck!

Comment

I am so sorry that you have so much on your plate. Bless you heart. I wish i had some advice but you have already had some good advice.

I just want you to know that we are here for you. I just wanted to give you some (((((hugs))))).

Comment

I'm so sorry. That really sucks! I don't have any advice or words of wisdom, just wanted to let you know I'm really sorry. This just seems so unfair.

Comment

sorry you have to go thru this!! when i first got sick i went to the er that day and got a note from them saying i needed to be out that weekend because i had broncitis and was on an antibiotic my owner was not sastified with that so he fired me because it was the weekend and he did not want to have to cover it. i worked there 2 years!! my boss was just an ***----. i am now collecting unemployment still and trying to get disability. i ended up in the hospital for 6 weeks the week after he fired me so i would have been fired anyways probally. good luck to you and i hope that you get disability or at least something else soon!! i on the other hand would be on the street if it weren't for my parents. it is bad enough now that they are about to take my car because i can no longer afford the payments.

Comment

Working...
                        X