Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice with falling

Hi all...
    I was diagnosed only a month ago and still have no clue what I'm doing. I've had weak joints for years and with numbness in my feet, I've already ended up flat on my face once.
    Does anyone else have similar problems? If so, how do you handle it? I'm afraid of falling. My neurologist's attitude has been... "it's normal..." and nothing more.

Falling

Most of us do fall once in awhile. I try very hard to do it Gracefully.
    To help with that,, I use my rollator or my cane.
    When I go to a store I use my power chair, or the stores scooters.
    SOOOOO your dr. is right. BUT not very ummhhh, I can't think of a very nice way to say Not very people orientated.
    SgrammieD

Comment

Thanks... Learning what's normal and what isn't has been the greatest challenge!

Comment

Falling is "normal". Everyone does it. that is including the world's most coordinated people.

I'm still in good shape after 6 years being dxd. but my right leg (weak hip and spasticity in calf, and i think maybe very mild foot drop. i really don't know. its just bad when it starts to act up)

anyway, where was i? o yeah. i do have a cane a walking stick when i know i will need them. (leg acts up when walking distances) and after 6 years with MS, I've learned to fall "gracefully" and can do it most of the time.
        when i don't, sometimes, when friends are watching, it makes a funny site/story
        Learn from yesterday
        Live for today
        Hope for tomorrow

Comment

I hate when neurologists say things are "normal" with MS. Nothing with MS is normal.

Anywho, if you have just told your neurologist about this problem one time, they assume this as a "one time problem" and usually wait to see if the problem persists. If you are still having this issue, you need to contact your neurologist and ask him/her what can be done. I have balance/falling issues, and my neurologist put me in Physical Therapy; it has been amazing.

Be proactive; only you know what's going on with your body. Good luck, you can do it.

Comment

Balance is down to :-

1. Your Ears; and
            2. Your eyes; and
            3. Feedback from your feet/legs.

So, you can start to see the problem. The act of falling "gracefully" is what I call falling in slow motion - that way it doesn't hurt!

So, if you're going to lose your balance and recovery isn't possible, plan your descent and get down safely.

Comment

Working...
            X