Thinking of going on Tysabri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of going on Tysabri

I'm pretty sure I will be going on Tysabri soon. Went and saw a new doctor last month. For having MS for 24 years and no having to go out on disablity is ok I think. Any thoughts?

The other thing is I have been on Betaserone since it came out.

I've been diagnosed for 20 years. Still gainfully employed, at least until the end of the year when my current position is eliminated. Looking for a new one at the moment.

I was on Betaseron since the beginning as well (only lottery I ever won :-). Switched to Tysabri at the recommendation of my neurologist in November of 2007 after 2 years of more frequent than normal flares (1 + a year vs. 1 every 2-3 years) the last 2 years on it. Just had #33 (I think) 2 weeks ago. Haven't had a flareup since I started and the MRIs have been pretty much the same.

Good luck.

Comment

Wishing you lotsa luck if you go with the Tysabri! I just started it this past January myself. Had been on Beta since dx in July of 2007.

I know it has helped my weak leg bend more when walking!

Comment

Betaseron from 2005 to 2008
        Tysabri 2008-present.

When beta stopped being as effective in me, doc had me do a 30 day washout period from beta before starting Tysabri. I haven't regretted my MS meds since. At times I second guess them, but never regretted them.

I had no side affects from Tysabri. Just make sure your well fluidized before the infusion. When I wasn't drinking some extra non caffeinated beverages before the infusion, I got very sleepy.

Others have reported headaches or upset stomaches that got better if they drank a little extra before the infusion and made sure to eat something before the infusion--the infusion on an empty stomach wasn't a good idea for few to be most comfortable during the infusion & they corrected it by eating and drinking something before the infusion..

I think the switch from beta to tysabri is a good idea for you. Its the one that I did.
        xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Just finished #21

I just finished my 21st treatment with Tysabri, but I take it differently than most. For the first 16 treatments, I went in monthly and since then, it's every other month for me. My Neuro is adamant about testing...bloodwork every 3-6 months and MRI's every 6 months. One test that he continues to monitor is Tysabri antibodies although I was told by the Touch people, most docs don't do this because insurance may not cover it. I find it a comfort to be completely monitored. Ask you Neuro about bloodwork and MRI's, how often, etc. I usually take Ibuprofen before I go. Can't say I have too many side effects, except sometimes the first 48 hours after the infusion, I am tired. Hate taking any meds, but ok with this one.

Comment

Working...
          X