Do I need Provigil for muscle fatigue??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need Provigil for muscle fatigue??

Told my neuro that my balance has improved and PT is nearly over. But that the pt therapist said she could not really help with muscle fatigue. She sees how I do the exercises but the my muscles quiver and shake afterwards. And when she called today, told her that one little trip to the grocery store sent me to bed for the rest of the day.

Now my neuro wants to prescribe Provigil..I dont usually get fatigued generally speaking (not lately) just my LEGS do.

So I dont really need provigil then will I??

Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

No, Provigil will not help for muscle fatigue but it might help you to stay awake.
    Take care, Wiz
    RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Provigil is intended for sleepiness/narcolepsy. Its use for MS fatigue is off-label (which is why some insurance companies don't cover it anymore). You can try it, but it isn't intended to have an effect on muscle fatigue so may not work for that.

However, 4-AP or Ampyra may have a better chance of helping muscle fatigue, since its purpose is to help with walking speed. That doesn't necessarily mean it will help with muscle fatigue. But, unlike Provigil, at least its specific purpose has to do with the use and efficiency of leg muscles.

Comment

Well I knew that. Now I have to convince my neuro that I do not need Provigil. I was struggling to stay awake for the Anti epileptic meds he has me on for seizures but I am now used to them now.

So its not fatigue from MS, although I had that in the past really bad I could not hold up my head. But now its muscle fatigue and PT told me she could not help me with that.

I just needed YOUR expertise and experience with confirmation I do not need Provigil ( a great med if you need it) for my leg weakness.

Thanks

Jan
        I believe in miracles~!

Comment

JAN, AS ALREADY STATED, PROVIGIL ISN`T FOR MUSCLE ISSUES. IT WORKS WELL FOR MY PLAIN OLD FATIGUE THOUGH. MUSCLE FATIGUE IS BEST TREATED WITH, YUP, EXERCISE. THE 4-AP AND AMPYRA MAY HELP, YOUR PT IS WAY OFF ON THIS ISSUE(IN MY OPINION). GOOD LUCK

DAVE
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
            Told my neuro that my balance has improved and PT is nearly over. But that the pt therapist said she could not really help with muscle fatigue. She sees how I do the exercises but the my muscles quiver and shake afterward. And when she called today, told her that one little trip to the grocery store sent me to bed for the rest of the day.

Now my neuro wants to prescribe Provigil..I don't usually get fatigued generally speaking (not lately) just my LEGS do.

So I don't really need provigil then will I??

Jan
            That quivering happens when a muscle is not used/exercised enough. Lactic acid is released and that is what is causing your shakiness. Over time (with more exercise) your shakiness should subside.
            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Thanks for your responses..but my leg/arm weakness is also due to my kidney problem. My kidney's leak out electrolytes especially potassium/sodium. I take mega doses but it can drop down just a little and I paralyze or become weak. ADD MS to that and exercise makes it worse. I also have an autonomic problem where adrenal surges drain me as well. Meds make both these problems worse. I am a mess. LOL

I know what you mean. I do. As my legs ARE stronger (PT helped) but then will suddenly get weak with tremors.
              Its hard to explain. The PT gal knows this as she sees the difference.. one day strong..doing well..then next time..my legs just give out. They just give out even after I feel so much stronger..

Coping.. and patience. ARRGGH.. LOL

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Working...
              X