Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California electric and gas bill

Hey all,
    this is just a reminder to everyone in California that you can get what is called medical baseline on your bill if you are disabled. What it does is give you more kw and the baseline price.

What that means is you can use more energy without going to the next price point. So if you run your air conditioner in the summer and you are use to paying more in the during that time. Or if in the winter you use your heater more.

you can go to their website, download a form to take to your doctor and mail it in. It is actually really simple to do and will save you some serious money on your bill!

Hope this helps someone, Jessica
    dx ms 2002

Hello Jessmhall

WOW, that is wonderful for resident's in California. Wish I lived there.

And how timely. I just got my electric bill for this past month. It about blew my socks for 183.02 for one month. Last month was 129.00 and I thought that was bad.

I guess I am gonna have to do some research to find out what my state offers.

Comment

I wish that applied to everyone in California, but it depends on municipality and service company. California is a huge state and there are several utility providers.

My city doesn't offer medical baseline on electricity to people with disabilities, but it does offer baseline for people on limited incomes, which includes many people on disability. (They also make allowances for people who depend on electricity to run medical devices.)

And my local gas company doesn't make allowances for MS for heat, because people with MS don't need heat more than anyone else. (Cooling yes, but not heat, and natural gas isn't used here for cooling.) They might have medical baseline for other conditions requiring heat, but not for MS. But again, they make allowances for limited income.

Thanks for the tip, Jessica. Everyone should check to see what's available in their area!

Comment

Thanks Jesmn, but unfortunately for me Redwings is right. Now that I am home fulltime I called my electric company in Southern California in May, as I was already worried about the increased electric bills. No dice for me, the only help was for needed electrical medical equipment or for lowered income levels.

Neither which helped me, although I am now the one at home all day trying to conserve and only use the air conditioner minimally.

Tammy

Comment

I'm Hot

I'm unable to receive discounted electric and gas also. I have MS but not DX. disabled. Husband on Social Security but its too much anyway to qualify. Are you kidding me?

Comment

sorry guys for giving any miss info of lumping California in as a whole.

I was unaware that some areas do not allow the medical baseline.

In my area the medical need to run electrical equipment includes the air conditioner! There is a box on the form that your doctor checks and this automatically qualifies you regardless of income.

all electric companies should allow this - it would be a tremendous help to all

reguardless worth looking into in your area
            dx ms 2002

Comment

I recently sent my papers in and was approved for the medical reduction in my electric bill. I almost can't wait to see the next bill. (Almost).

Comment

Thank you for posting this! I'm sorry to those whose utility companies don't offer programs. I just looked up my co online, SMUD: Sacramento Municipal Utility dist. I have always loved SMUD for their lower rates, conservation efforts, etc, but now I have even more to love. They offer a 15% discount on all tier 2 usage for medical, including AC.

Does anyone know if PG&E offers savings for gas?

I'll be taking the forms in to my neuro when I see him next month to see if he'll sign them for me.

My tiny home(1350 sf) is a SMUD energy efficient home. It is 5 yrs old, has ultra efficient AC, insulation, is sealed up so tight that we have to have a fresh air exchange system too, that circulates air in from outside. The cost to air condition our home in the summer is about $150-$200 per month. That's above the normal spring/winter/fall bills. It's ridiculous that it costs so much to cool our homes. I certainly can't stand the 78 degrees that utility companies recommend. My thermostat is set at 74, and I have a window unit in my bedroom so we can keep just it cooler at night too.

Comment

THX

THANKS FOR THE POST! I HAVE APPLIED FOR IT WITH PG&E!

Comment

Working...
                  X