Probably a silly question but..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably a silly question but..

I was just wondering what exactly a relapse consists of? I was diagnosed RRMS a couple months ago and am a little curious. Like I said, probably a silly question but the even sillier question is the one that goes unasked, so here I go.

I get tiny symptoms that pop up day to day like say, a finger goes numb or something small like that. These things aren't really that noticable and dont really hamper my day to day life. Do those little symptoms count as a relapse?

I've also had very major symptoms rear their ugly heads for instance, I could get sever vertigo/ nausia which renders me unable to move. Obviously that affects my day to day. I'm pretty sure THOSE count as relapses, but anywho, I guess I'm just a bit confuzzled over the deffinition of "relapse".

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my silly question.

~Elly
    I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

Hello Elly

No question here is silly

While you're waiting for responses, here is a brief description of relapses:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ons/index.aspx

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Elly

Thank you for asking that question, I too have often wondered what it was and the difference between a flare, and all the other words commonly used on the site when members are talking about sx.

KoKo thank you for posting that explanation.

I have learned more about MS since finding this forum in April than anyone has explained to me in 20+yrs.

Elly, if you don't mind I would like to add a question.

What do they call it when a sx, say "numbness" never goes away completely?

Comment

@ Joan Frances

Hi Joan Frances

When there is incomplete recovery from a relapse, I've seen it referred to as residual deficit, or neurological deficit caused by damaged myelin that doesn't heal or repair.

These are the ones that come to mind right now. There are probably other terms that are used too.

Take care,
        KoKo
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
          Hi Joan Frances

When there is incomplete recovery from a relapse, I've seen it referred to as residual deficit, or neurological deficit caused by damaged myelin that doesn't heal or repair.

These are the ones that come to mind right now. There are probably other terms that are used too.

Take care,
          KoKo

Thank you KoKo.

Comment

Hello again

Or put in more common terms, how about - ongoing MS symptoms or chronic MS symptoms

Take care,
            KoKo

Comment

A relapse is any symptom, mild to severe, that is new or worsening, lasts more than 24 hrs and is separated from your last relapse by 30 days.

It could be anything from a numb pinky to a complete inability to walk. The key is that is a change from your norm, isn't residual or part of an ongoing relapse that's reasserting itself a little.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the answers guys, I feel like I have a much better understanding of what a relapse is now.

koko I really appreciated the link, very informative!

~Elly
                I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsBones View Post
                  A relapse is any symptom, mild to severe, that is new or worsening, lasts more than 24 hrs and is separated from your last relapse by 30 days.

It could be anything from a numb pinky to a complete inability to walk. The key is that is a change from your norm, isn't residual or part of an ongoing relapse that's reasserting itself a little.
                  So if I get the six numbers to the Texas Lottery then that would be considered a relapse...

I know I would experience numbness, stuttering, the inability to walk, and a few other things.

In a previous job, I once had a project leader who did get the six numbers to the Texas Lottery. He got three numbers from one drawing and then the other three numbers in the following drawing. He told me he couldn't sleep and that he was all fidgety for a long time; even though it meant that he didn't win anything because those six numbers were not drawn in the same drawing.

Comment

Working...
                  X