Heat Tolerance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat Tolerance

I would very much like others to chime in. Living in South Texas all of my life I have always been accustomed to the stifling heat (and the humidity).

However, there were things in life that I had to discover on my own what my limits were. And I fully prepared to accept what the "School of Hard Knocks" was going to teach me. But what happened concerning heat totally amazed me.

I have been outside in the wretched summer heat and drenched in sweat (mowing the lawn, doing yard work, etc) but I don't seem to experience any adverse effect.

I know that is not the case for so many MS patients. However, I wouldn't have known what my limits were until I experienced them myself.

My next appointment with the neurologist is not until three months from now but I am going to mention that. I will carefully test out other limits but I am grateful to experience a new potential that I never imagined possible.

I seem recall some statistic that maybe 50% of MSers are heat sensitive? Whatever the stats are, lucky you to be able to tolerate the heat. I became more and more heat sensitive as time went on right from the start of MS. It rules the way I live my life now, I've adjusted to the changes I have to make.

The good news is that I seem to be better than I was in some respects. I don't go blind the way I used to in the heat, and that is a big plus.

Hope you stay as you are...able to handle the heat!

Comment

The heat and humidity totally wipes me out! Must be crazy for our neuros to hear that from some and 'no problem' from others.

When I am in the heat I almost pass out. I can't work in it at all. Gardening used to be a favorite passtime. No more.

Diane
      You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

If I am out in the heat, I am much more tired than usual and my weak leg is a lot weaker. That will last for up to two days after I get back in the AC, so it is just not worth it. Two - three days down for one day out in the sun, not a good deal at all.

Comment

Hello R Wolf

I'm with DianeD. Getting heated up wipes me out.

I have noticed that as the MS has progressed, so too has my heat intolerance. Last summer I could take some heat for awhile before I would get fatigue, weakness, and other symptoms. But now, just a few minutes of being in the heat, and I can't move my legs to walk, and I can't move my arms. And if I am able to muster the strength to move my legs, I'm all over the place (as if I had just consumed a bottle of vodka)

With the very hot summer we've had, I feel like I've missed out alot of enjoying the summertime activities since I can't go out in the extreme temperatures. I try to take a walk outside with my roller walker when the sun sets and the temperature has dropped some.

Such is life with MS heat intolerance.....

I'm glad for anyone who doesn't have to deal with it

Take care,
          KoKo
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

For me, doing yard work in the Houston heat/humidity will cause problems walking - mainly I develop an awkward gait, then leg muscle weakness if I don't stop & get into the A/C. These sx will go away as I get cooled off, unless I go back out & push myself some more. Took a mild relapse to teach me to stay out of the heat!
            DX 10/2008
            Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
            Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
            Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

heat

Hi RWolf,

I am not effected by heat, either from sun / humidity or shower / bath or exercise. In winter there have been times that I wonder if the cold is making me "stiffer" though...?

I do feel weakness or tiredness if I overdo the cardio- equipment.

From what I read, I hope that I can say the same a year from now. The problem that I hear from others has had me in serious second thought about moving to a less snowy area of the country....

Comment

Heat

Sort of 'funny' about heat. I have a cyber friend in Australia that loves summer around Melbourne and hates the winters! I am just the opposite! I can tolerate up to 75 so long as I am not moving around otherwise I have to have the fan on me. Luckily it's rarely humid here! (San Antonio type)
                Techie
                Another pirated saying:
                Half of life is if.
                When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
                Dogs Rule!

Comment

Working...
                X