Here's the scoop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the scoop

As of Aug 28th I will be officially demoted. I will be losing about $7 an hour.

I was strongly encouraged to take demotion, i need the medical coverage and "they" seem to be willing to work with me....I have also been encourage to seek out a good lawyer.

So many people and co-workers think something isnt quite right. I sign the papers foe demotion on Monday. My union started to help and the fizzled out...typical!

My Neuro was completely understanding and concerned about the stress i am under. She has also decided to switch my DMD from Avonex to Rebiff. She thinks it will give me a more consistent...or level of medication.

There is a big possibility that I could lose my house. Im currently trying to refinance...but the cut in pay is going to hurt.

The only upside is I get to keep my medical coverage(a big upside), I get to stay at my current location, Im already doing the job(with my cane) and I am suppose to retain my seniority(which doesnt really mean much).

If "they" are sincere about working with my limitations I pretty much have to take the demotion. It's a very depressing and stressful time....Im trying to stay focused and positive......I have a job to go to!

Any suggestions for the Rebiff switch. Ive been on Avonex and although I like the once a week, I can definately feel the difference by end of week.

Anyway, thats my sad little story. Thanks for listening!!

Hello Fuzzy

Sooo sorry that you are still going through all this stress

Can't offer any advise about the meds, but wanted to send HUGS and

Does your company allow "at home" work? Maybe that could cut your expenses, in so far as not needing to travel to work. Just a thought.

Good luck my Dear, prayers going your way

Comment

Fuzzywuzzy, I am so sorry that they are doing this to you. It is good that you can see the few positives in the situation.

My husband is the sole bread winner in the home and last year we found out he had esophageal and stomach cancer. They removed both and he has done a great job recovering but the promotions that he has been up for just don't happen. We are grateful for the continued insurance coverage and income but are fearful that they will let him go at any point.

Try to keep on moving forward and let us hear from you. We care!
      "...the joy of the Lord is your (my) strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Comment

Hope you do get that attorney....and check on the ADA site to see if "they" are doing everything the right way.,

So sorry. That's why I quit working for the man.

Justacowgirl.
        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzywuzzy2 View Post
          As of Aug 28th I will be officially demoted. I will be losing about $7 an hour.

I was strongly encouraged to take demotion, i need the medical coverage and "they" seem to be willing to work with me....I have also been encourage to seek out a good lawyer.

So many people and co-workers think something isnt quite right. I sign the papers foe demotion on Monday. My union started to help and the fizzled out...typical!

My Neuro was completely understanding and concerned about the stress i am under. She has also decided to switch my DMD from Avonex to Rebiff. She thinks it will give me a more consistent...or level of medication.

There is a big possibility that I could lose my house. Im currently trying to refinance...but the cut in pay is going to hurt.

The only upside is I get to keep my medical coverage(a big upside), I get to stay at my current location, Im already doing the job(with my cane) and I am suppose to retain my seniority(which doesnt really mean much).

If "they" are sincere about working with my limitations I pretty much have to take the demotion. It's a very depressing and stressful time....Im trying to stay focused and positive......I have a job to go to!

Any suggestions for the Rebiff switch. Ive been on Avonex and although I like the once a week, I can definately feel the difference by end of week.

Anyway, thats my sad little story. Thanks for listening!!
          Sorry you are having the ordeal. I'm not a fan of unions but I think you should request a talk with your Union Rep.

Not really sure how they could help in this situation though.

I'm kind of reading between the lines here and thinking the house situation did not just happen when you heard you might be demoted. So, yes, if you were in the hole to begin with, the demotion won't help.

Are you unable to do the job you have? I actually think it is wonderful that your company is working with you instead of just letting you go.

So, wondering why you need a lawyer. Be careful there; they often take you on and leave you dangling for a long time.

Do some soul searching; perhaps there is a reason for demotion?

Sorry if I sound hard.. Just think it is good to look at things from all sides.

Good luck.
          You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Hi fuzzywuzzy, I have been following your posts on your job situation and I just want you to know that I am so sorry that you are being demoted! How unfair!

When you said that you were going to talk to the union people, I thought "that's good!" I thought our unions were suppose to fight for us

Am glad that you will have your medical ins. and can stay at your present location. That's something, but I realize the cut in pay is AWFUL!! Sure hope you can refinance your home and keep it!

What a stressful situation- I sure hope it won't bring on a flare for you!

I can't help with your question about the DMDs. I've only been on Beta, now Tysabri and Ampyra. Good luck with the switch.

You sound like a very brave and positive person. Try to keep your chin up as best you can. (((HUGS))) to you and will say prayers that things get better soon!! Kathy

Comment

HUGS my dear.. its hard to work so much for a place only to feel this demotion. Been there.. its a grieving process for sure.

But I cannot tell you how much I am feeling that maybe, just maybe, this is all happening for a reason. Do not let this control you.. or keep you down. YOU do have control over how well you can cope with this mess. AND we are here for you in the process.

Bad things happen sometimes for a GOOD reason. Whenever I felt a door was closed (and I hated that).. a new one opened that was better.. healthier. Eventually, as hard as I tried.. staying made me sicker and sicker.

Mediatate..or pray you can accept the answers whatever that might be. Fight the fight..but know when to move on.

Even with worker and disabled rights.. an employer also has the right to ask us to do our jobs..or try something else, until you can no longer work. ITs a process..it stinks..and its unfair..but..it doesnt have to be the end of your world..just an end to the world as you know it..

Trust the process.. use your faith and ask for help..you have done that part well.

Best to you,

Warmly, Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

fuzzywuzzy, so sorry about the demotion and house. i hope everything works out in the end. when i was still working, my company accommodated me. i didn`t receive any demotions, but i didn`t receive any raises either. just remember not to burn any bridges, you may want to cross that river again!!! i`ll keep you in thoughts and prayers! good luck.

dave
                hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                volunteer
                MS World
                hunterd@msworld.org
                PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

How stressful for you. I haven't followed your saga, but it sounds like you're being treated unfairly. I pray that you can receive some relief with your mortgage. You'd think there's something they could do for you.

As for going on Rebif, I've been on it, and will be restarting it again shortly. I haven't been on anything else, but I really liked the convenience of three shots a week, and totally painless. I would think you wouldn't have too much of a problem acclimating to it since you've already been taking Avonex. My MRI's actually improved while I was on it, but of course, everybody's disease process is different.

Praying for you!
                  dx Transverse Myelitis March/2008 - dx upgraded to RRMS June/2008
                  Rebif June/2008
                  Tysabri October/2010

Comment

I'm sorry it's come down to taking the demotion and such a huge pay cut. That really sucks and really doesn't seem right. I concur that you should get an attorney ASAP.

Are you doing a refi under Home Affordable Act? If not, be sure to look into it. I'm sure you'd qualify with your medical issues and now, pay cut on top of it. You can't be behind in payments to qualify, must be current. Under HA, you can get a principle reduction, consolidation of multiple mortgages or possibly credit card or car debts, and ultra low rates, like 2.5%.

My neighbor just did a refi and they rolled her car into the loan. She's saving about $700 a month now and got a 2.75% rate I think. We're starting the paperwork for a Home Affordable refi in a few weeks. Our realtor told us we could get a better deal if we wait until September, when certain, new aspects of the program go into affect. This refi should be our lifesaver, to reduce costs and be able to afford the medical bills we've been dealing with, better. If anyone is interested in HA refi or modifications, all you have to do is call your current lender for info. They get subsidized for doing these programs and it's advantageous to them as well.

I wish you the best of luck!

Comment

HI fuzzy - I really can't offer any other advice, but wanted to send (((HUGS)))

Wish we all here at MSW could march in with our canes, walkers, and w/c's and demand that you be treated fairly!! Now THAT would turn heads

Seriously, tho, good luck and let us know how it all turns out!
                      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

The Attorney Dilema

So many people suggest getting an attorney. I've had experience with them.

Heres an example:

My mother was in a nursing home. She could not stand or walk. I could not manage her care as I could not lift her or move her.

Hence a nursing home.

My mom's condition was due to improper care she received in the hospital following surgery.

She acquired staff A and sepsis (blood poisoning). This resulted in a coma of 6 wks duration. I had to be present everyday to monitor her care. I consulted with an attorney. Most would not talk to me as they all want a slam/bang case and that would not have been the case. What seemed obvious to me was not acceptable to them. You must Prove the intent to inflict harm.

My mother went to a nursing home. I went every day for four yrs and every other for two. The nursing home was awful. The care was a not.

Along with bed sores and other unspeakable problems my mom was handed a scalding hot cup of tea even though the aide knew she's drop it.

My mom's hands were crippled. She was supposed to have a tip proof cup, they lost it.

Anyway, the aide handed her the cup and she dropped it, burning herself all over her chest and under her arms. I took pictures, found an attorney.

The attorney said he'd take the case, but didn't know when it might go to court. He also explained the value of such an injury (yes, they place a monetary values according to what it is...i.e. a leg might be worth $10.000. An arm maybe $5,000 to $10,000). Since my mom was poor and on Medicare any award which would put her over the limit would mean she'd have to up her monthly rent accordingly. She'd also lose Medicaid eligibility till she was broke again.

Her injury was (the attorney figured) worth $30.000.

The Attorney would take 1/3 leaving $20,000. Since she'd now have to pay privately that would be $7,000 or more per mo and she'd pay for supplies, and medications separately.

Do the math.

Nothing to do with suing is easy and hardly ever worthwhile. The attorneys don't work for free and things don't happen fast.

Your union should provide an attorney for you, at least to speak to.

Sorry to be glum, just make sure you do your homework on this.

I would request a letter saying why you were being demoted. I also don't think the company would tell you to get an attorney unless you threatened them in some way, as in 'you can't do this to me; I'll sue you.'....

Tough time for you.

Diane
                        You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I'm sorry you are having to go through all this fuzzywuzzy2. It's bad enough to have to deal with illness, but then to have job problems and worries about your home just adds insult to injury. At least you still will have your medical insurance, which is really priceless, because if you already have MS, no company will be willing to insure you. Plus you are keeping a positive attitude. Good for you!

My own experience with attorneys is different from what DianeD experienced, but I suspect a that is because there are differences between a case that involves suing for damages (taken on a contingency basis where the attorney gets a % of the award), and a case that involves protecting your rights, where you pay the attorney by the hour for the work he/she does.

When my job was downsized from full to half-time, the paperwork I received from the company advised that I seek legal advice. I saw my attorney and he said "You did the right thing to see a lawyer, but the good news is you don't need a lawyer." That is, it was good for me to be sure my rights weren't violated (there was no discrimination on the basis of my gender, disability or age over 40), but also the company was indeed following all the laws.

I do hope your union helps to protect your rights too, as that is why you pay your union dues. Often the union is the reason that you don't get fired outright, since the union contract protects you from being fired/let go without a valid reason.

Good luck with all this. Know that you have many friends here pulling for you!

Comment

Thanks for all the prayers and advice, it is very much appreciated.

I have never been behind in my house payment, Im actually a month ahead, same with my car payment.

Because my house was a repo and I bought from hud thru an Fha loan, the onlt "refy" i can get is called a "streamline"

The company has been very helpful and knows my situation so hopefully things will workout for the best.

I flip flop on the lawyer situation, the comp. is a big one and I am sure they are up to date with the ADA laws.

I remember reading, that if you are offered a position and you turn it down they can fire you!

Again THANK YOU!!! for all the prayers and hugs and advice!!!!!

Comment

Under ADA, they are NOT allowed to demote you:

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/ada18.html

Please read up.

Comment

Working...
                              X