Very Interesting Article especially for BigA and others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Interesting Article especially for BigA and others

BC researchers find disability progression in MS is slower than previously reported

Researchers at the University of British Columbia have found that disability progression in multiple sclerosis takes places more slowly than reported in earlier studies. They also reported that being male or being older at disease onset are not associated with a worse disease outcome, challenging other fundamental concepts about MS.

http://mssociety.ca/en/research/medd...ress-jan06.htm

Very interesting article that research conducted in British Columbia, states that disability progression (needing a cane) takes place more slowly than originally thought, a median of 27.9 years.

And being male or those dx at older age (after 50), are not associated with a worst disease outcome as once thought. Men may progress more rapidly initially, but they all arrive at the same EDSS 6 disability needing a cane as women.

Looking up bit now?

Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Yes I agree, it is looking up a bit now, and the study was done with a study population of people with definite MS and symptom onset prior to July 1988 so I am sure most were not on medication at least initially, which is even more interesting.

Originally posted by mjan View Post
      Very interesting article that research conducted in British Columbia, states that disability progression (needing a cane) takes place more slowly than originally thought, a median of 27.9 years.

And being male or those dx at older age (after 50), are not associated with a worst disease outcome as once thought. Men may progress more rapidly initially, but they all arrive at the same EDSS 6 disability needing a cane as women.

Looking up bit now?

Jan

Comment

Working...
      X