X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WII & EXERCISE GROUP CHECKIN 8/05/2010

WOO HOO EVERYBODY!
    I am so excited about our group! I wish everybody could join us and have the comradery (ok, can't spell today!) we do.

You all are to be commended!

GOALS MADE:
    FIVE

GOALS MISSED:
    NONE

That's right! We were 100% this week! I made sure and got in my four days because of ya'll!
    BUT it's okay if you don't make your goal. PLEASE don't let that stop you from checking in. That's what we're here for, encouraging!
    Like last week when I didn't make it, seeing how everyone else did, made me want to try harder.
    It also paid off weight wise. (see Weight Loss Group Check-in, if you're trying to shed some lbs.)

TIP FOR THE WEEK:

MIDDAY WORKOUT ROADBLOCK

Work (home or office) demands or hunger pangs trying to keep you from exercising. Melatonin, the chemical that makes you sleepy, is actually at its lowest production at noon. You may be alert, but physically your blood sugar is dropping and you're too hungry or weak to exercise.
    Overcome it by scheduling your workout. Either eat some first, then exercise or just cut back on noon exercise and finish up time later. But always eat something before exercising (about 1/2 hr. before is best) even if it's a banana to give your body the carbs and sugar it needs to exercise.
    One study showed that midday exercisers actually have increased productivity. So if you want to exercise middle of the day, go for it!

Again borrowed from Runners World website. Also modified for all exercising not just running. Thankfully some MSrs do still run, not me! It wouldn't be a very pretty sight!
    Keep moving and stay healthy!
    Take care & God bless ya!
    "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

woohooooo!!!! goal made 3 weeks in a row ! yesterday, i was having so much fun, i played the wii for 2 hours till my arms hurt!!! over by 4.5 hours. see ya next week !

dave
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Four times exercises this week!

Tomorrow we go to "babysit" for the weekend so I am sure I will get some in those days!

Dave, you have inspired me to get the Wii out this evening!

Comment

I am interested in joining the group. What type of Wii games or workouts do members do? Neuro said I had to start working out ASAP for fatigue.

Comment

WOOHOO!!! everyone did it that is awesome

This week I did rather well. I did not do my wii because I knew I had a rather busy week ahead. (I could hear a little voice in the back of my head saying make sure you don't over do it I m pretty sure it was poohb3ar voice LOL)

I did alot of walking about 5 miles. Haven't done that in a long time.

I also got to stress about getting all my school supplies and finicial aid in place. Yeh I get to start school in a couple weeks.

Comment

pooh

sorry late been really busy walked a mile one day and not sure how much three other days but i know it was alot at the hopital in plano big place and got lost each time
            been doing a lot of up and down on the ladder trying to get the house ready for cps to check out in case we get the baby just feel like i for sure made my goal on exercise this week. hope you all another good week talk to you soon take care and GOD BLESS.

Comment

Originally posted by edu6th View Post
              I am interested in joining the group. What type of Wii games or workouts do members do? Neuro said I had to start working out ASAP for fatigue.
              Hi edu6th! We'd love for you to join our exercise group! We started with a small group of people who enjoy Wii for our workouts, now it's for anyone who does any type of exercise.

With my mobility limitations, i love to use my Wii.
              I have the Wii SPorts games, which I'm just really getting into. They use more coordination and energy. I prefer bowling and tennis because they strengthen my arms and if I'm careful I don't lose my balance.
              I also play golf because my DH plays it tog. w/ me.

But it took using the Wii Fit Plus with balance board to work up to any of those. You should start slow if you have fatique issues or you'll set yourself back.
              My PT suggested the Wii when my sessions ran out. The yoga is a good way to start out easy like Deep Breathing, Half-Moon. Also the balance games are fun. My favorites are the Balance Bubble, Snowboard Slalom, and Island Cycling when I have the energy (I found you can actually do that one sitting down!).
              Hope that answers your questions. I'm sure others here have their own favorites. I haven't bought any extra games. Some look like a lot of fun that you could get your family to do too!

If you want to join us just post what you want as a goal for example mine is to workout 4 days a week. I don't set a time goal or what type of exercise. It may be just the Wii body test and a few Yoga moves or cleaning floors and dishes (yes, housework counts as exercise!).
              Others walk, swim, etc. It's completely up to you.
              Then tell us from thurs to thurs if you met your goal. Of course, you're welcome to change your goal whenever you'd like!
              We're just here to encourage other in a healthy lifestyle that includes keeping moving to stay fit.
              Hope to hear from you again!
              take care & God bless ya!

Comment

sparky, wow! just getting out & doing yardwork counts in my book.
                but pulling out a bush! i'd give you double points! you definitely met your goal.
                and here i was all proud that i swept the floor in 4 rooms.
                keep up the good work, just don't overdo!
                take care & God bless ya!

Comment

Hi Pooh and everyone

I'm coming back to the group (if you'll take me back) as it will keep me accountable with my activities. June and July was spent moving out and getting moved in and settled. It was alot of activity. I hope I'm recovered by now

Activities this past week:

Thurs: Laundry (includes walking back and forth to laundry building)

Fri: Errands, gas station, pushed trash in cart to dumpster, paid rent, took a friend to a meeting

Sat: walked outside with roller walker 25 min

Sun: walked outside with roller walker 25 min

Wed: Grocery shopping

Thurs: light housework - vacuumed carpets

Thanks for having me back. Happy activities to all

Take care,
                  KoKo
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

you guys are awesome
                    I needed a little bit of inspiration so I just came in to read more messages and got inspired to do my wii today

So I say thank you to all

Comment

This is a wonderful idea. I would like to join also. I had not thought about the WII as an option. I thought I might hurt myself(fall) doing it. But it sounds like there are plenty of ways to adapt. I'm sure it would lend a little spice to my walking and stationary bike. I'm going to commit to 3 days a week to start. I'm sure I'll increase that in the future. I have only been diagnosed with RRMS 6weeks. So I'll start slow.
                      Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

welcome debsouth!

so glad you've joined us!
                        this is a very special group that will be glad to help you in staying moving & keeping fit.
                        if you're worried about balance with the Wii. you can keep a chair nearby to hold onto during activities or if balance is really bad (mine was when 1st started) take your walker if you have one and put it over the balance board. it fits nicely around it or should. that way you can work out without fear of falling.
                        i'm glad to hear that you'll take it slow. always listen to your body. don't worry about missing your goal. you can always change it as needed. we just want to stay healthy & fit!
                        see ya thurs. when you post on the next thread how you did this week.
                        take care & God bless!

Comment

poohb3ar

Thanks for the encouragement. It all helps. I do have a walker and that is a great idea. I have been so concentrating on what ifs I wasn't lookin for solutions. Just problems.

Thanks again.
                          Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Working...
                          X