Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dental pain

Hi Everyone!
    I have been experiencing major pain from teeth. Visited dentist had exam, XRays (No decay, or infection detected) However Dentist gave me multiple perscriptions for pain management, and anti-biotic despite lack of findings, and referred me to an Endodontist. Saw Endodontist that thinks I need a root canal on lower tooth, and believes that pain emitting from upper teeth is a case of TMJ, prescribed an anti inflammatory, and said he would contact me in four days to see if pain had subsided, and to schedule root canal (Apparently did not want to open me up, if pain was due to TMJ)
    The anti inflammatory script is not helping at all. I have heard mention of someone with MS experiencing TN, does anyone know what this is? Or has anyone experienced similar prob?
    Thanks for taking the time to look, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Your situation is a bit confusing to me....I'll bet to you too or you wouldn't have asked!

I had a root canal about 2 months ago, but it was obvious from the x-ray that one was necessary. In your case, they seem to be saying they "think" you need one, that is what is confusing to me.

I am a grinder/clencher at night, and have been trying a new night guard that is not working out......sigh.....

I do use some TMJ exercises when my jaw feels particularly tense and they do help my jaw to relax. I do not have any jaw clicking or misalignment to my knowledge.

Before the root canal I was on several days antibiotic and that really helped the pain I was in. It was a throbbing pain. I was also taking 600 mg. ibuprofen around the clock.

Others will have to tell you about the TN, I know it's been discussed here, not sure if this might apply to you.

I feel for you though! I was in and out of dental pain for weeks. All good now after the root canal.

Comment

WOW this is the worst kind of pain if you ask me. I am so sorry you are going through this. I had an acute case of TN during an exacerbation. EVERY tooth in all parts of upper/lower were on fire.. along with my lips!!

Anyway, when I mentioned this to my dentist, he said the only way the dental practice can eliminate chronic TN is to remove the nerve/s. what??

If you can, I would try acupuncture or acupressure as they know the routes of nerve paths in ways to eliminate whatever is obstructing that pathway.

Pain meds ONLY cover up..anti inflammatory med could help but maybe not.

Good luck hon, I hope you find relief!!

Warmly, Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Hi,

Once every couple of months my teeth and/or gums hurt for a few days in a row....both the upper and lower on my right side only. And I mean really really hurt bad....it's not exactly in my teeth...more like in my gums or face..hard to explain (sorry).

My dentist said he could see some wear on the right side as if I might be a grinder...but I don't know. I would think if I were grinding that bad, my husband would probably hear it.

I know this does not help you one bit, but maybe you'll know there is some one else out there with that horrible feeling!
        Dx 06/07
        Copaxone

Comment

Has anyone considered trigeminal neuralgia? I had that and I went to dentist, endodontist, oral surgeon, PCP, and Opthamologist. It is a horrible pain that pain meds didn't even touch. Finally after 6 weeks it started to lessen and after about 3 mos. was gone.
          "...the joy of the Lord is your (my) strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Comment

In similar boat

Ok I had to comment on this one. Those who know me (not naming names) know Ive been having major issues with jaw pain, headaches, and teeth pain.

I thought maybe it was TN, as I had it about 5 yrs ago along with the total right side of my face being numb. It was like I had an imaginary line drawn down the center of my face and numbness wouldnt cross nor did the pain.

This time the numbness is different, I feel like my ear is completely numb, and the inside of my ear is as well which is making hearing difficult in that ear. but the pain is horrendous.

The pain starts about my right temple... and feels like lightening bolts shooting down through my ear, to my lower jaw and out my chin. In the process the muscle (TMJ) at upper jawline is so sensitive and painful I cant even lay on that side of my face. I do have a tooth upper jaw, next to missing wisdom tooth, that is chipped between the next tooth. The gumline is extremely painful because I constantly have to pick my teeth free of food or it sends me through the roof. Ironically my TMJ hurts and lower jaw just with chewing. So as I said I dont know if this is another case of TN (trigeminal neuralgia) or TMJ, or just a really bad tooth trying to abcess.

But if your dr is treating you for the TMJ (anti-inflammatory drugs) and it doesnt help much...it is either TN or a really bad tooth. But treating the root canal after the anti-inflammatory is a good thing, because if you already have inflammation because of the tooth or TMJ, it is better to control that before introducing an invasive procedure to help prevent infection and promote quicker healing.

Good luck with finding out what it is. And let us know when you do. Im curious myself. I hope you find some releif soon no matter what the cause. I am the biggest baby when it comes to toothaches, and earaches, so I feel your pain. Not to mention having dental issues myself... I will take all my back pain, MS pain, muscle pain, migraines etc over tooth pain.
            Janel Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner Child playing with matches.
            Dx date: 7/15/2010

Comment

wow that sounds like the kind of pain I have experienced also--went to the dentist had xrays--the whole 9 yards pain was horrible--said it sounded alot like trigeminal neuritis which many mser's experience. He put me on tegretol which is a seizure medicine but is also used for TN and boom--pain gone completely in 48 hrs--I had to stay on the medicine for a while to keep the neuritis calmed down--I didn't care--it got rid of my pain and kept it that way.
              Goodluck
              Sue AKA HCB

Comment

My DH, every once in awhile, will have moderate areas of "tooth" pain. He has a history of periodontitis so he gets to the dentist during these episodes.

They xray, poke around, and nothing gets found. Xrays are clear, no evidence of inflammation of the gums, nor any evidence of grinding.

He does have a deviated septum which can cause sinusitis symptoms and we evaluated that route. His MRIs and xrays always came up clean.

So maybe MS related? Who knows...
                DH - RRMS (DX 9/10/10), GERD, Asthma
                Me - RA, Sjogren's, Joint replacement queen
                DS - T1 Diabetes, Seizures, Asthma

Comment

I havwe horrible teeth, and have also had TN. the TN was so bad, I went to Urgicare. It was on my right side, like everything else, anyway I thought I had an ear infection or an abcessed tooth,. Pain went from jaw and gums to inside ear. They upped my nueronten and it did go away in a few days. Once in awhile it comes back and an ice pack helps. I am sure it does nothing to help it go away, but with a numb jas I cannot feel it.

I hate dentists, which is why mjy teeth are so bad, plus grew up with well water and no floride treatments back then.

Good luck and I hope you find something to ease the pain. It is horrible.

JudySz

Comment

Re: Dental pain All responses

Hello everyone!
                    Thanks very much for all those that took the time to reply. Much food for thought.... I now know what TN is (Though I am now wondering why neither my dentist or the Endo thought to suggest that this might be the cause of agonising pain Go figure?)
                    I will do some research on TN, and review my XRays before jumping into a costly root canal.
                    Thanks again to all, your advice, opinions, and caring messages are invaluable!!!

Comment

I had the EXACT same thing 9 months ago

Same story too - went to the dentist, x-rays didn't show any decay or infection so he gave me antibiotics and told me I was going to need a root canal. I was not hapy with that as I didn't really think that was the problem. I had this problem for a month and a half and then it went away. I still have a hint of pain at times but nothing like it was in November. I truly think it was TN. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                      X