Anyone living in Bakersfield, CA area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone living in Bakersfield, CA area

Looking for information on how things are going there. How the weather affects your MS. How about available Dr.'s, jobs, rentals? Trying to find a place to relocate closer to family but with stuff we can not get in our small town! Good schools and Dr.'s mostly. Any advice would be helpful, Thanks!
    Poohkers Diagnosed 9/99, Copaxone for over 10 years! Trust not on your own understandings, but believe in his LOVE for you!

Only someone from Bakersfield can tell you what it's really like to live there. But, truly, even in 2010 Bakersfield is still out of the mainstream, a place you drive through when going somewhere else in California.

The economy is still very depressed there. Earlier this year the unemployment rate was 17%. So aside from there being a lack of good jobs, there's no money for great schools, either. The population is large enough to support good medical care, but it's not a hotbed of cutting-edge medical technology. It's more suited to the agricultural and manufacturing population who live there.

I can't speak for someone who lives in Bakersfield. But if you were to ask at random for the names of cities in California where you could find good schools and good doctors, Bakersfield would not come up on any list.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts...

We grew up in San Luis Obispo CA, so we know there are much better places, most that cost way to much.We were pushed out when I got sick and could no longer work 60 hr's a week. Even there you could not find any good trade schools or a neurologist that was not 70years old. There has to be a place to live and work where these things are available that is affordable that a person with MS can handle! I just need to find it!
      Poohkers Diagnosed 9/99, Copaxone for over 10 years! Trust not on your own understandings, but believe in his LOVE for you!

Comment

I live in Tehachapi, about an hour away from Bakersfield. Personally, I would never move there. I live at 4500 ft but it still gets to be mid 90s at times and it is rough. I couldn't imagine it at 108. We drive 2 hours to the coast to do a lot of our shopping, see Dr.s etc. I have had nothing but very bad experiences with the limited number of Neuros in Bakersfield. There are some decent parts of the city but I think that bad areas are still pretty prolific.

Comment

Thanks Stacyz76

I appreciate your opinion! We are at a loss trying to figure out where to go! Where my Husband can attend a trade school, where there are some jobs, Dr.'s and the weather is not down right horride. We are also looking into outside of San Antonio, it has everything except it does get hot and sometimes humid! If anyone has a suggestion for where there MS took them, please let me know! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X