Avonex and sleep issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex and sleep issues

Anyone here on Avonex and experience issues sleeping? I have been on Avonex since my diagnosis, about a year, and have been having trouble sleeping lately. Within the first six months or so of being on Avonex, I would only have trouble sleeping every so often on the day I inject. Now, for the last three weeks or so, either I have trouble getting to sleep or I can't stay asleep once I do. I plan on bringing this up with the neuro when I go in September but, I was just curious if this is typical of Avonex. I guess picking it because it was only once a week wasn't a good reason...

Originally posted by Bandito View Post
    Anyone here on Avonex and experience issues sleeping? I have been on Avonex since my diagnosis, about a year, and have been having trouble sleeping lately. Within the first six months or so of being on Avonex, I would only have trouble sleeping every so often on the day I inject. Now, for the last three weeks or so, either I have trouble getting to sleep or I can't stay asleep once I do. I plan on bringing this up with the neuro when I go in September but, I was just curious if this is typical of Avonex. I guess picking it because it was only once a week wasn't a good reason...
    I have trouble sleeping for the first time in my life, but I assume it's emotional or due to one of the medecines I now take. I've heard other people complain of sleeping problems, but I've never heard of Avonex causing sleep disturbances.

See what your doctor says.

Comment

I'm not an expert, but I think that your sleep problems may be more of an ms issue than an Avonex issue. What you have said about not being able to fall asleep and not being able to stay asleep sound like me and the problems that I have had for quite a while, way before I started Avonex. I've been diagnosed for about a year now, and started Avonex right after my diagnosis.

On my shot night, I take tylenol and benedryl and I make sure I have plenty of water the day of my shot and the day after, and it seems to help quite a bit.

I also take melatonin now on the advice of my neuro, but I guess the jury's out on whether people with ms should take melatonin. I don't know why, I just read it a few days ago on another post in MS World. I guess people are split. It does help me so much to sleep when I take it, and it's a restful sleep, if that makes sense. I'd see what your doctor says about melatonin, and about your sleep issues in general.

Comment

Actually, no, I haven't had any sleep issues in quite some time, now that you mention it. (Other than the occasional restless night, but that's not a big deal.) I'm usually dead to the world well before midnight and sleep until my alarm goes off. I had been some trouble sleeping before I started the medication, but it seems to have tapered off without even really noticing it.

Comment

I was only on Avonex for 3 months, BUT I did notice that the night AFTER I did the shot (not shot night, but the next night), I would be wide awake all night long!
          Melody
          Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

This just sucks. Happened again last night. I go to bed dog tired and wake up some time between 1 and 2 wide awake. I have to get up and go put a movie on to get some background noise going to fall back asleep. This is driving me nuts! Bad enough that I have MS to begin with. Now it has to be compounded by the fact that I can't stay asleep.

Comment

No I can't say that I've had sleep problems from Avonex. Sometimes I get a little fatigued after the shot and usually sleep more soundly.
              - Roy
              Been taking Avonex since June 96
              For me Interferon therapy is essential in slowing MS down.
              Will continue with the weekly injections and take my disease one day at a time...

Comment

On Avonex for 12 years.
                I never sleep well anymore. But I don't think it's from the Avonex. I think it's from other MS issues?

Comment

Sleep problems can be a major MS problem. I take two Benadryl, Sam's Club stuff, and two Melatonin at bed time. I have been doing this for a few years and it makes it much easier to fall asleep. The Melatonin helps me fall back to sleep when I wake up, bathroom trips. This is just something I have found to work for me. I used Benadryl to fall asleep when I was working, driving an over the road truck.
                  Bill
                  Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I had sleep issues before Avonex. Benadryl works 6 nights out of seven and I use something stronger on shot nights due to my bad side effects (chills, fever, etc).

Comment

Working...
                    X