to ones with optic neuritis experience. have a ? for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to ones with optic neuritis experience. have a ? for you

Yesterday my left eye turned blood red on the bottom of my eye ball. It is painful to touch and my vision in that looks like there is fog cover over it. It is causing me to have a headache also.

I went to pcp and he thinks it is optic neuritis, he told me to go to my opthomologist. I called and the next available appt is not till Friday.

My question is should I wait that long? I have never had it before and from what I read it can progress really fast.
    "Therefore we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day." 2 Cor. 4:16

I can only tell you that my DH never had redness/irritation/blood in any three of his ON episodes.

His eye wasn't painful to touch, but painful to move in the extreme of any one direction, but especially the sides.

The pulling sensation made him want to touch/scratch at his eyes though. Maybe a possibility for you?

One of the things I ask him is how he is seeing the color red if he thinks he is getting an attack. For him, and many others, what once was a bright red starts looking dull and faded. Once that starts, the fog comes on, and the eventual blindness comes.
    DH - RRMS (DX 9/10/10), GERD, Asthma
    Me - RA, Sjogren's, Joint replacement queen
    DS - T1 Diabetes, Seizures, Asthma

Comment

Optic neuritis has absolutely nothing to do with blood or redness on the front of the eyeball. What you're describing is not optic neuritis. Your ophthalmologist's office gave you an appointment based on wrong information.

What you're describing sounds more typical of perhaps iritis/uveitis. If you have iritis/uveitis -- or whatever it is -- it should NOT wait until Friday. Pain and blur need to be evaluated right away. Call your ophthalmologist back and get in ASAP. If you can't be seen within 24 hours, call another ophthalmologist.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I called my Dr back and asked if I could see another Dr in the group but they said the earliest appt. for any of the ophthalmologist is Thursday. The receptionist did say that I could go to the emergency room and be seen because there is an ophthalmologist on call.

I am going to get my husband to take me in to get checked out. I am starting to have a major headache also and it hurts worst just behind my eye.
        "Therefore we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day." 2 Cor. 4:16

Comment

How did it went at the ER?

Please keep us informed on how you're doing.

Comment

well still in er

I am waiting on the nurse to come and start iv solumedrol (sp?). The dr did not say what was wrong with my eye yet. He ordered some blood work and urine test. He called the on call neuro who told him to start the iv. I will to call neuro office to set up rest of infusions.

He is more concerned about the weakness and muscle pain on my left side. He did say the steroids will help my eye. I also have 2 rashes that popped up after my oral pred course I just finished he trying to figure out what they are he thinks one is acne the other for him stumped.

Will update more later

Comment

The ER doctor never even came back in the room. His nurse came in and said that everything was MS related and that I needed to call the neuro in the morning to setup and appt for the rest of the iv steroids.

Comment

Copping out....is that what medicine has come to now?

I'm not a doctor, but your symptoms don't sound like optic neuritis. I've had it quite a few times in both eyes and never had what you're describing. Hope your REAL doctor can help!
                “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
                Diagnosed 1979

Comment

A neuro isn't going to help that eye! Get to the eye doctor PLEASE!

I could write a dissertation on the ineffectiveness of the ER. And from what I can tell, if you have MS, everything you go into the ER for is MS related. You could have a tooth growing out of your eyeball and their DX would be MS!
                  DH - RRMS (DX 9/10/10), GERD, Asthma
                  Me - RA, Sjogren's, Joint replacement queen
                  DS - T1 Diabetes, Seizures, Asthma

Comment

Hi Shandi,

You are so right. I did finally five end and go to the ER because my optho could not see me till friday and I started to have a killer headache over that eye. My previous treatment of prednisone cause a comeback of a rash that I use to gey at every season change when I was a kid. He was more concerned about that than the eye or MS.

The ER doc called the on call neuro and asked him if he should call my optho or not. The neuro told him to start me on IV steroids if it is O.N. then the meds will help.

The IV meds did help some and I go to the infusion center tomorrow to continue treatment. I think it was redwing described iritis, two days before the symptoms started I got popped in the eye by some very hot sausage grease while cooking breakfast. The symptoms do fit better and thankfully the course of treatment for that is prednisone also. They symptoms have gotten better also.

So thanks Redwings for the info and will will update when I know more from optho visit on friday.

Comment

went to optho...

Well I went to the optho fri and he is unsure of what is wrong with my eye. He noted that my vision went from 20/25 to 20/40 and my color vision had decreased. He did not see any swelling of my optic nerve but he thinks it my be because I have had 3 iv roid infusions before the visit.

He has me returning next fri to check my field of vision and to see if my vision improves after the steroids have had more time to kick in. Will post update after next visit.

Comment

Please keep us posted. I had a "busted blood vessel" in my eye. 2 weeks later I had a terrible headache behind my eye and it hurt when I moved my eyes. I was completely blind in that eye within 24 hours. Yep. Optic neuritis. They say the blood vessel thing wasn't related but it's such a strange coincidence.

Diagnosed with MS within weeks.

My vision is back close to 90% or so. That I can deal with. I'm trying to get over the panic of losing my sight every time I get a headache.

I wish you the very best.

Comment

I don't know what you have going on, but I hope it clears up soon for you.

I did want to say that redness does not sound like "typical MS ON" but I have read that Uveitis can be seen in MS ON. The optho, er & nuero doc's may not be that far off in treating it as ON with IV steroids..

I posted what I read in this thread..typical, less common and atypical but still seen in MS ON.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104021

Less common CIS features which may
                          be seen in MS
                          Uveitis (mild, posterior)

Atypical CIS features not expected in MS
                          Uveitis (severe, anterior)

but for sure damage to eyes happen fast and heal fast too---so sight isn't anything a person should delay getting treated whether ON or Uvetis. You handled the situation well.
                          xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

0485c10 thanks for the positive comment "You handled the situation well." i'm headed back to neuro today and hopefuly will have more answers. I will also update as to what happens fri when I see optho again for re-check.

Comment

If anyone is interested in my appointments and how they turned out I wrote an update under my other post of back to the neuro thursday.

Comment

Working...
                              X