Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long term care insurance/life insurance, etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term care insurance/life insurance, etc...

This is the second time in a few days I heard about getting insurance before a diagnosis is made. I already have life insurance, but a friend going through something similar alos mentioned looking into "long term care" insurance before her diagnosis.

How many of you have done this and exactly what kinds of insurance did you get? I'm not really familiar with "long term care" insurance, or really any other kind for that matter! Dh and I got life insurance policies when our kids were little "just in case"! So, we have that, but nothing else. I am only 42 years old, so I hope that I won't need this for a long time, but as I'm learning, you never know!

Thanks!

Unfortunately, once you have symptoms and an abnormal MRI that states that there is a suspicion for demylinating disease or MS, chances are you will not be able to get long-term health insurance. You can't hide these things from the companies, They will request medical records from 5-10 years back. Now if all of the testing that you are going through comes up clean and your doctor writes a letter stating that there is nothing wrong with you, then maybe you can still get the insurance. But you already said that your doctor stated that you have something rare.

Originally posted by jillmb View Post
    This is the second time in a few days I heard about getting insurance before a diagnosis is made. I already have life insurance, but a friend going through something similar alos mentioned looking into "long term care" insurance before her diagnosis.

How many of you have done this and exactly what kinds of insurance did you get? I'm not really familiar with "long term care" insurance, or really any other kind for that matter! Dh and I got life insurance policies when our kids were little "just in case"! So, we have that, but nothing else. I am only 42 years old, so I hope that I won't need this for a long time, but as I'm learning, you never know!

Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, Jenny is right, but if you can get it or if anyone else is interested. Long term care pays for your care in a nursing home or assisted living facility. You pick an amount that you want insurance to pay, it is not cheap, and like all insurance, gets more expensive the older you are.

JudySz

Comment

This is a timely topic. If anyone is working, you should also check into short and long term disability insurance prior to a formal dx.

I had a personal policy for several years, but dropped it to save money!!! one year before my dx. I now have both short and long term disability through my employer, but the long term policy does not cover ms.

I recently started seeing a therapist for anxiety and she asked me if I wanted to bill my insurance or if I wanted to pay cash to keep the sessions out of my medical records. I replied that I already had one of the most toxic of medical labels, so I didn't need to worry about who might be reading her notes

Comment

Working...
        X