It's not just us...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not just us...

Even though this illness can and has profoundly effected us in ways the non afflicted can not truly comprehend the one thing it has given me is clarity, in an odd way.

Everyone I know is going through some form of turmoil - that is life. However it did surprise me to notice that some of this unhappiness they suffer is self induced.

The mind can be very convincing. For example. I worry about weight since I can not gym everyday or really at all very effectually anymore, I try to watch what I eat. I see a friend who is drinking and smoking and overeating and yet complains about her health and how no weight comes off.

Another example--I know another girl who is going into foreclosure on her home and has addiction issues. Although the job market is on the floor right now she hasn't tried to alter her situation. She has experience working in a medical office and lives next door to a nursing home so I recommended she at least see if they have anything. She sleeps late everyday and drinks and drugs endlessly (how can she afford it I wonder?) claiming anxiety issues. These are problems that need addressing.

I'm nobody's judge. When it comes to matters that we cannot control like bladder issues and mobility challenges it makes it hard for me to dredge up the sincerity for these problems that can be somewhat resolved if not addressed with just a bit more backbone.

I am taking this girl to the rehabs and hospitals but she will not yield to change. I have to travel with ice packs and bladder awareness procedures to bring her to Social Services and she's too annoyed that they ask her to fill out forms.

If you could choose change your circumstances wouldn't you? I sure as thunder know I would.

Your post is "rated" (which in internet speak means "I like it!"). Good post, Daisy!
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy Dead Petals View Post

If you could choose change your circumstances wouldn't you? I sure as thunder know I would.
      Mental illness?

I often wonder about people that have no apparent struggle, but their life is still a mess like a big pile of filth that they just wallow in.

Some people just cannot cope with life.... Could they be mentally ill?

It does seem crazy to watch someone drown in waist deep water.
      Why don't they just stand up? Why are they not fighting for a better life? Why are they wrecking a perfectly good body?

I know a few people like your friend, depressed-out of shape- drink or drug themselves into a coma and seem to do nothing as their life spirals into a numb meaningless existance.

I wonder if these lazy, shiftless people are actually suffering from mental illness?

The pill popping, numb, drunken fog of a life cannot be happy?
      But telling them to snap out of it and start to be productive may be like telling me to run? (something I just cannot do)

I don't have an answer but I do think there are many untreated mentally ill people in this country that never get any relief other than short self medicated booze/drug induced comas?

It is frusterating and difficult to watch.

What is the cure for a life of appathy?

Comment

As you stated so well, your current circumstances allow for a clearer vision of life. Your friend lacks this among other things. TommyLee is right: "difficult to watch."

I really try to have empathy for everyone, but will not spend too much of my precious "positive" time being drained by this sort of human flotsam.

Comment

Working...
        X