Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Bath Test and other oddities

I'm just curious:

Was anyone out there diagnosed using the hot bath test?

For those who aren't familiar, websites say that it was "the" test for MS previously. Some sites say until the 1980's. People would be put into a hot bath to see if thier symptoms got worse.

Was anyone told (by a doctor) they would be in a wheelchair in 5 years?
    This was supposed to be common by doctors until recently.

Conversely, was someone told to keep moving before the notion was popular?
    I heard of someone who's doc told them to never stop walking or they would lose the ability

Thanks.

Wow BigA those were oddities...never heard any of them.

I know I used to love hot bath and showers when I was younger.....now....not so much!

Thanks for sharing, it's amazing how barbaric medicine was and probably still is some place in the world!

Comment

Since I am back in Limbo, and my various docs are messing with me, I think I'll go take a long hot bath and figure it out on my own!

Any accuracy and validity numbers reported

Comment

The hot bath test...it works.

I was kind of diagnosed by hot bath test, but not it was not intentional. LOL

I was in the process of all kinds of tests, as we all have been before dx. I had been so stressed out by it all, I decided I would take a nice hot bubble bath, and have a hot cup of tea.

Well, about 5 minutes into the soak and sip, I started to feel woozy. Just thought I must be tired, 10 minutes in, my vision was blurry, my sensory sx in my leg were the worst I had ever felt them and I felt like the room was spinning.

I managed to literally crawl out of the tub, slither over to the toilet and vomit. Weakly called for hubbers, who found me laying on the floor in a puddle.

I recovered in about an hour with cold cloths on my neck and wrists.

Next day I called my family doc and told him what had happened. (he had suspected MS from the start). He said, yes that makes a lot of sense, in the old days...hot baths were used to dx MS. It clinched it for him, before my MRI.

I got my dx (from my MRI) about 2 months later.
        skeezix
        dx. rrms Nov/09. Not using DMD's.
        Life is too short to wear boring socks.

Comment

Hi Big A

I was told that I would probably need a wheelchair in 10-15years from my diagnosis.

Of course, I asked the neuros for their opinion (they didn't volunteer the info). I was at the Mellen Center for MS in Cleveland for an evaluation and confirmation of PPMS. They were telling me about the cell degeneration on my brain and spinal cord, and how I would have to adapt, adapt, adapt for the rest of my life - from leg braces, cane, walker, scooter/wheelchair.

So..... I was compelled to ask them how long they thought before I couldn't walk anymore. And they gave me their best guess. That's all it was, a best guess from their years of experience with MS patients. I appreciate their being candid.

Take care,
          KoKo
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I was diagnosed after MRIs came along, but it would have worked for me. I used to be able to get into the shower/bath, but afterward, I couldn't lift my legs high enough to get out. I'd have to sit and wait till I cooled off in order to get out. We now have a walk in shower.

My neuro told me everybody's progression is different, some progress fast, some slower and there was no way to predict.

This is a crazy one because if your first exacerbation takes out your walking ability (which it does with some MSers)...then how do you keep "moving" when you can't walk. I was told keep moving to the best of your ability, but make sure to stop short of muscle fatigue (because once the fatigue sets in, things get "dangerous" as far a a more serious injury from falling, etc.)

Comment

1.no,MRI
              2.no, my MS Doc said i may be on my feet at 70(i'm57)
              3.?? he said with MS when its gone, its gone.
              mark
              DX's,MS,1/8/04
              copaxone

Comment

This is interesting.

I have had problems with hot showers over the years, but it's been very sporadic. I feel like I'm going to pass out and my legs get really weak. I do also sometimes have problems with the hot, humid weather, but lots of people are affected by the weather, right ?

Hubby just says I have the shower too hot but maybe it's been MS-related, because I always have the shower at the same temperate ?

Comment

I was tested and diagnosed in 1985 and the hot bath was NOT one of the tests done.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content...ct/249/13/1751

From abstract:
                  "We have observed four patients, however, with considerable and prolonged neurological debilitation after hot bath testing. We suggest caution in the application of such testing."

No.

To keep moving? I don't know if it was or was not a popular notion in 1985 but my neuro told me the best thing I could do is walk.
                  Diagnosed 1984
                  “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I actually noticed for myself I had a "positive hot bath test" back in 1978. I had read about it being associated with MS, and clearly I had more difficulty walking after soaking in a hot tub.

Once the first neurologist in 1982 said I probably had either MS or a spinal cord tumor so I should terminate my pregnancy (I was 3 months along and doing well after 3 previous unsuccessful pregnancies) to have a bunch of tests for cancer, I quit going to neurologists until 2002 when I had a significant relapse.

So I never had anyone making any predictions about future ability to walk vs WC, or whether I should keep exercising. I exercised vigorously for years until my leg gave out in 2002. In a way, I may have been lucky not to get a lot of bad news from neuros 20 years too early.

Comment

Working...
                    X