LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LP

I am building up enough anxiety already surrounding having the LP done on Tuesday since they called and confirmed, to choke an elephant. I asked if they offered cocktails before hand, they don't. I don't want to do it and that is fear based, I know.

Can you all help a girl out here?

Thanks!
    Treat yourself as you would treat your dearest friend. Be kind to yourself. Be supportive.

Are you more worried about the procedure or the results?

In either case:

Procedure: As uncomfortable as it sounds, it's not as bad in reality. My shop made me lie down for 30 mins afterwards. That is supposed to prevent a headache. Coffee is also supposed to help.

Results: If you get a positive for MS (it takes a week anyway), you can at least begin to treat that and not deal with unknown symptoms or be told you're crazy.

Good luck. You will survive both things.

Comment

Hi Lily09,

It is OK to be scared but I don't think you need to be. It's really not anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be, but I know everyone has different experiences.

I just had my first LP a month ago. I didn't even find out until 5 minutes before the appointment if I definitely needed it or not, based on other tests run earlier that day. Turned out I did.

My husband was with me and my neuro did the procedure himself. Because it's in your back, you don't actually see any of the procedure. The worst part of the whole thing was the stinging feeling when the local anesthetic went in. Took about 15 minutes total and the LP was done.

I drank Mtn. Dew for the caffeine after the LP to help try to avoid the possible headache, but I never got one. I also took some Advil right after in case I had any pain. I did not lie down and went about my normal schedule and activities at home and work. My neuro said lying down would only be helpful if I started to get a headache.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Others that posted are right. I have had 2 done one in a ER to check for spinal meningitist (sorry about spelling), and in neuro office to check for ms bands. Both procedures were not that bad. I jumped during the second one and ended with some nerve pain in my right leg for a few days.

My advice, relax, listen to the dr, and follow any preventive steps just in case.
        "Therefore we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day." 2 Cor. 4:16

Comment

I have had a few LP and they aren't as bad as they seem. Just make sure you stay flat afterward so you don't get the horrible headache. You should be okay...just need to remember to keep yourself calm.

Good luck!
          Dx: 03/2007
          Rx: Copaxone since 04/08

Comment

I never felt a thing with my LP. It was done under fluoroscopy, and I didn't even feel the needle for the anesthesia. The biggest aggravation was having to lie flat for the rest of the day.

Just be sure to drink plenty of caffeine before and after the procedure.

Good luck!
            Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
            Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
            Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I totally hear 'ya Lily09! I lost sleep for days worrying about the LP procedure. I almost threw up going into the clinic! I broke out in a cold sweat when I was putting on the gown before the spinal tap.

A lot of worrying for nothing!!!! It was a breeze! You will feel a small prick when they do the numbing and a slight bit of pressure from the actual procedure. It was done and over in less than 5 minutes!

Words of advice: lay flat for the entire day when you come home. DRINK PLENTY OF CAFFEINE the day before your procedure, and immediately following the procedure! Only get up to go to the bathroom (and if you've drank enough, you will definitely be using the restroom.)

I did get the spinal headache 3 days later, which was very unusual. Go immediately to the ER if this occurs. (Very unlikely, but it may happen) They did a blood patch, which consists of taking blood out of your arm and injecting it back into the spinal canal. It did not hurt, and I received instant relief. Don't let this scare you, because it rarely happens!

I hope this relieves your mind a little bit and will let you get some sleep. Like you, I made myself a nervous wreck.

Good luck to you!
              Fall down seven times....get up eight!

Comment

I pretty much agree with these posts...I didn't know which I was more afraid of, the procedure or the results. I had a bad experience followed by a good one. My LP was done by a resident. My doctor's office accidentally scheduled my spinal for a day when nobody from my doctor's office (including my doctor!) was at the hospital. So, they pulled in a resident. After three tries, she couldn't get it and it was so painful, I made her stop. She asked if I had scoliosis! NO!

I have also had four children, epidurals with three, and it wasn't as bad as when this resident tried.

So, they took me downstairs and did it under the xray. It was the difference between night and day. I would recommend getting it done that way, under the xray. I didn't feel a thing. I had to lie still, flat on my back for four hours afterwards (but I pretty much stayed in bed all day and the next) and drank regular coke and took tylenol.

So, don't let a resident do it (LOL) and try for getting it done under the xray, if possible. If you can't, it really isn't that big of a deal, it is the fear of the unknown and of the procedure. You'll make it!

Comment

To answer BigA's question:

If I'm being completely honest here, which I am, my fear is that the lp won't show anything and I will be stuck in limboland indefinetly, despite the yechy brain mri. I know and everyone knows that a negative mri doesn't rule out ms but it seems that the more I read, the more it is dismissed without one.

I want a diagnosis, something that I can say is wrong with me so that I can face it head on and make a plan of attack!!
                  Maybe it's more than that, I need it. For a lot of reasons but the biggest one is so that I can have a discussion with my son about my long naps on weekends and the reason behind them rather than just saying that I am extra tired. Everything else, I hide. Wouldn't it be nice to not have to hide?

Sound dumb?
                  Treat yourself as you would treat your dearest friend. Be kind to yourself. Be supportive.

Comment

Working...
                  X