About to start Betaseron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to start Betaseron?

I have been off Avonex for 5 years (after being on it for 8 years) and my nero wants me to start Betaseron (first he wanted me to go on Copaxone, but I didn't want the every day shot). I have a mild form of MS and he thinks its important I go back on one of the CRABs, I have been taking LDN for about 4 1/2 years (not by my nero). I am concerned about the flu like symptoms, the injection site reactions, weight gain?, and then I read some of you felt better after you quit taking it! Avonex was ok, but I had to take 3 advil before and the next day and if I forgot.... it was terrible! I do not want to take advil day after day. My nero is so insistant I go on one of them because he thinks my mild form of MS won't always be mild. I was dx in 1984.

Thought about Beta...

Hi BeBe,

I've been taking Beta a little over a year now....this is the only DMD that I've taken.. my experience so far has been iffy..

Yes, I had the flu-like sx's.. no.. I had the flu twice after starting Beta...I got the injection spots.. still do...got welts..having them now..but, it could be the Cali weather..it's really hott...I use to pre-medicate but, don't have to do that anymore..Use to use cold packs..don't do that either... and, I manually inject.. I'm a control freak (lol) no, I probably am..

Got my last MRI in October..no progression... hooray...was dx in Dec.08 so, I guess the Beta is working...I've just learned to work through the issues from it..there pretty mild and you know what.. they all have some type of issue associated with them...

Just my thoughts...whatever you decide will be the right decision.

Purposed
    Don't tell the LORD how BIG MS is...TELL ms HOW BIG THE LORD IS...

Comment

Auto injector vs manual?

Purposed,
      Thanks for responding. They have an auto injector, wouldn't that be easier than manual? Betaseron now has pre-filled syringes, what are my chances of getting that first time through?

Thanks,
      BeBe

Comment

betaseron

Hi!
        I'm new to all this too. I was dx'd June 11, 2010, started beta July 2nd. I guess it's working ok but i'm not up to the full dose yet and I feel really bad most of the time. I guess whatever your body can stand is what we have to do to get a handle on this disease. I'm sure you'll make the right decision...and if you don't, you'll just have to try again. There is NO GIVING UP! I wish you well and hope this works out for you....and me too

Comment

Originally posted by BeBe View Post
          Purposed,
          Thanks for responding. They have an auto injector, wouldn't that be easier than manual? Betaseron now has pre-filled syringes, what are my chances of getting that first time through?

Thanks,
          BeBe
          I've never used the auto injector. Once you push the button you're committed.
          Manual is so much easier and easier on you. Just go slow and you'll do fine.
          Not sure what you meant by pre-filled? My kits come with pre-filled (saline) syringe bodies but you still have to mix the actual dose. No big deal, I'm doing it while typing this reply.

Comment

I will be starting Beta in a few weeks, on August 10th. I'm a little bit nervous, and mostly worried about flu side effects and injection site issues. I also don't like needles, but I feel confident that I can make it past that issue. I also know my hubby will be good about helping me in those hard to reach places.

I don't know if I would like the auto injector or not. We'll have to see what happens.

Comment

I was dx in Oct 2008 & began Beta in Dec. so I have no other meds to compare it to.
              I am unusual in that the ONLY side-effect I have ever had is injection site reaction, still get 'em in fact but I feel blessed compared to what others have experienced.
              For me, the auto-injector was too bulky & awkward for my hands. My DH manually injects for me.
              I would recommend pre-medicating until you know how your body is going to handle the meds.
              The Beta nurses are wonderful, don't hesitate to call them with any questions.
              DX 10/2008
              Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
              Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
              Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

"The flu" on its own isn't that bad, its just the duration that's tough. It took me about three weeks to build up a tolerance.
                One thing I found about site reactions, I don't think its the Beta that causes the dreaded "raspberry"- its not waiting for the alchohol from the prep pad to fully dry. I only get site reactions when I'm in a hurry so I've come to think its due to pushing some alchohol under the skin.
                I still pre-med, a couple of asprin a couple of hours before I inject. Not sure if it happens to anyone else, but every 20-30 shots or so I get run over by the train again if I don't pre-med. Its pretty random so I'm not sure if its me or some minor QC thing at Bayer.

Comment

Working...
                X