Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Optic Neuritis feel like Pink Eye

Hi everyone.
    I have been officially diagnosed for 3 months. My first symptom occurred a year ago, and was some form of Optic Neuritis. I had pain when I moved my eyes, and blurred vision that would not subside for days. but it did, pretty quickly. Thats been my only experience with ON.

Lately I have been experiencing something that is strange. And I am not sure what it is.

I experienced what I thought was a pseudo-flare over the July 4th holiday. I spent the entire day outside in the sun, and was pretty stoked, because I felt great pretty much the whole day.
    The next day... I thought I was dying. I was weak, lots of muscle spasms, I felt awful. I learned my lesson about being in the sun.
    Ever since then though, I have had what feels exactly like Pink eye in my left eye. It waters and itches like crazy, discharges something terrible, and is constantly blurry, or not quite focused. I went to the doctor. (Just my GP, because I can't get into my Neurologist easily) He barely looked at it, and prescribed something for pink eye. But it has not helped.
    I don't have pain... just constant itching, and wateryness like something is in it. And some blurriness, but not tons. Is this Optic Neuritis? Or some form thereof? It coincided with the day out precisely, so I am afraid it might be.
    Thought I would ask folks out here, before I really do make a fuss and call my Neuro.

THANKS TONS for all the support I get out here. Its amazing!

PJ

No, optic neuritis does not involve itching, watering and discharge on the front of the eye. If you check reputable medical sites, none of those are mentioned as signs/symptoms of ON. Even if by coincidence you have ON, the itching and discharge are being caused by something else.

What you're describing are classic signs/symptoms of some kind of infection or possibly an allergy. Neither your GP nor your neurologist has the specific experience or proper equipment to fully examine your eye and tell what kind of infection or other problem you have. The proper exam has to be done microscopically. (Have you ever seen an ocular biomicroscope in either of their offices?) Without being able to examine you properly, neither one can know what medication is appropriate for the problem. It's not unheard of for a GP to inadequately assess an eye problem and prescribe a medication that's actually harmful for the kind of problem the person has.

An eye infection or other eye problem needs to be evaluated by an eye doctor. Do you have an ophthalmologist who can see you?

Comment

Working...
    X