Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No New Lesions - But are the old ones active?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No New Lesions - But are the old ones active?

My husband just got MRI results and the neuro said no new lesions. He has been diagnosed for 1 yr with MS. However, it seems he has had it for as much as 30 years (optic neuritis 30 years ago) and has been relatively asymptomatic. My sister also has MS and she asked "no new lesions, AND no active lesions, or just no new lesions?" The Dr. has never mentioned "active lesions," to my memory anyway. What is an "active lesion" and how can the Dr. tell what is active from looking at an MRI?

Hello beingmindful

Don't know if I can give a sound medical answer to your question

However from what I remember from the many many things that have been said to me by doctors over the last 20 years is, is that they try to match the MRI to the sx.

Based on that, I would say that if your Dh is still having the same sx, then the results of the MRI are active lesions.

But I would check with the doctor and ask him what he meant

Good luck with his treatments and remember to take care of yourself too. You need to stay healthy to be a caregiver. To many times, the caregiver is never thought of regarding the strain that MS can create in a family's life

Comment

The way it was explained to me and how I understood the differences....

Regular MRIs can show most visible lesions but they cannot show which are active. A doctor who only uses regular imaging can only tell if you have a new lesion by comparing it with an old MRI.

Contrast MRIs will 'new' lesions when they initially form as they break the blood-brain barrier. The contrast enhances a brightly colored 'leak' into the brain tissue surrounding the new lesion.

Contrast MRIs will show the 'old' lesion active when the lesion becomes attacked again by enhancing a brightly colored rim or ring around the lesions.

“New lesions” – find out by comparing old MRIs with new or by using contrast to show the 'leaks'

“No new lesions but old lesions active” – find out by contrast MRIs enhances a rim or ring around the old lesions.

“No new lesions, no active old lesions, but having symptoms” - MRI may not be able to pick up a small lesion or the inflamation to the area is still very new. A second MRI may be scheduled again at a later date if symptoms continue or worsen.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
      X