is this depression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this depression?

Since I moved downtown, I find that I am quite content to stay at home when I have no activities scheduled.

My old friends have not visited because of the location, but I am able and expected to visit them. (I live on the bus line)

Am I wrong to not extend myself to visit them. I do not feel lonely and am quite happy.

Is this depression or just doing something for myself for a change?

Thanks,
    Joanne
    Joanne
    Happy in downtown Chicago
    Jerry is my 20 lb cat

It probably is not depression. And, you are under no obligation to go visit them. If they need a visit they should come to you, it's not all about them.
    Bill
    Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

"Quite happy" isn't one of the characteristics of depression. Could it be that you're enjoying the freedom of being away from people who are only "fair-weather friends"?

Comment

You didn't mention your other "pleasures" in life. Are you still able to enjoy them? Are you enjoying them more?

I've lived with a depressed person. When a person is depressed, a whole tub of Ben & Jerry's would bring no pleasure, favorite TV show - nothing.

Maybe you're enjoying it and wonder why Not to worry.

Comment

Thank you all for your input. I'm glad to hear that I'm not depressed.

I love my new apartment and its' location. I'd hate to think I should have given up my dream of living downtown.

Is there some jealousy perhaps?

Joanne
          Joanne
          Jerry is my 20 lb cat

Comment

Hello Joanne

Do any of your Friends have MS or other disorder that limits them?

Don't want to sound mean, but it sounds to me like they weren't your friend to start with.

I had a long time friend who has only been to my home about 3 times in 25 years and never ever picked up the phone to call me. When I would get to the city or call her she would always remind me how long it had been since last we spoke

I finally got annoyed with her about that after years of my MS kicking my butt. Guess what I still haven't heard from her and it has been 2 years now.

I would say enjoy your dream/new apartment and make new friends. Just give up all the other things that kept you happy, just share them with new friends

Comment

Maybe its your friends who are depressed and dont want to go anywhere or come visit you and are using the excuse of 'its the location'.

I think you are simply adjusting to your new home and your body is telling to stop and be still for awhile.

Do something for yourself. If it involves visiting your friends, then do it. If not, dont sweat it. It is your life and dont let anyone, friends or family, pressure you into how you want to enjoy it.

Comment

you certainly don't sound depressed...

Feeling guilty about enjoying your own place in a place that you like?

Don't want to go out if you have no plans?

Geesh. I wish I had that problem... I spend all my time doing for everyone.. my kids, my job... etc When I first got divorced, I felt a bit guilty about not having people over but you know what? If they want to see me, they can make the effort too. If they don't want to or can't get to me, they can call and we can talk or make plans.

There's a lot to be said for some peace, quiet and 'alone' time. I enjoy reading a good book with no interuptions. (rare) I enjoy a nice bubble bath with noone pounding on the door (rare) and no phone ringing ( I turned the ringer down). When my son goes out (rare) I revel in the empty apartment.

You might change your mind in a few weeks and wish you lived closer to your friends but don't dismiss the value of 'alone' time. It can recharge you and give you more to talk about with your friends. Also - someone mentioned they could be jealous.... hmmmm food for thought... maybe while soaking in the tub....

Comment

Working...
                X